Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Heh, there are plenty of "smart phones" on the market (eg HTC make extremely nice ones) and they've not set the world on fire.

IMO, Apple often does things differently, indeed. If the iPad, or whatever, comes out, it may be just different enough, to redefine the segment (if you can call it that.)

The Archos I've played with are clunky, somewhat primitive feeling devices, which have not set the world on fire for a good reason. If Apple doesn't do much better, it won't either.

The LCD rumors are pretty disappointing, IMO.
Give it up. Until Apple announces it, it's vaporware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If one really wants an Apple Tablet:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

$1,649.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
If one really wants an Apple Tablet:

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook

$1,649.

William
That is exactly why I don't believe any of the Mac Tablet rumors. Then again, when Apple announces the Mac Tablet a follow up announcement could be that Apple also bought Axiotron.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That is exactly why I don't believe any of the Mac Tablet rumors. Then again, when Apple announces the Mac Tablet a follow up announcement could be that Apple also bought Axiotron.
Not when, IF. And it's a very big IF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #20
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Not to fan the flames, but Axiotron transferred their trademark "TabletMac" to Apple late last year.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 PM   #21
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Heh, Apple didn't buy Axiotron, but they did recently acquire the name "MacTablet" from Axiotron.

As to an Apple tablet, there are just too many rumors, including some from reasonably reliable sources, for it to be just an urban legend.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Not to fan the flames, but Axiotron transferred their trademark "TabletMac" to Apple late last year.
Yes, but that could simply be Apple's natural desire to control the trademark. It doesn't mean Apple will do a tablet.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Yes, but that could simply be Apple's natural desire to control the trademark. It doesn't mean Apple will do a tablet.
sure-they just went after someone for using "Pod", which seems pretty generic compared to "MacTablet" Certainly not any proof...but...it is coming.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM   #24
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm hoping it really does come out and have some success. As I've said repeatedly, I'm really interested in a tablet. Not something like the Archos, or a Tablet PC though. Basically I just want something about the size of a legal pad for reading and marking up academic PDFs, taking notes, surfing the net etc.

I'm not optimistic the Apple tablet will fit my needs--but if nothing else it should lead to a flood of competitors putting out devices.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But if it comes in at under $300.00, Kindle could be in trouble.

Wait!, $300.00!... Apple!...
I kill me!
My guess would be about $750-900, but it will do everything we have dreamed of (LOL!!)

I'll buy one if it comes out before Kindle 3, the race is on for my money!!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
My prediction is that it'll be at least $1000 US.
There was an article stating that a 10" lcd based tablet would go for around 1k and an 9.7" OLED version going for near 2k.

The nearest competitor in price would be the ds1000, so for $300 more you can have a multifunction tablet from apple. I'm confident that a lot of people who bought the irex would also be highly interested in the apple.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #27
Lycoming
Capt Chaos II
Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lycoming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2
Me love shiny.
Lycoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by darius View Post
There was an article stating that a 10" lcd based tablet would go for around 1k and an 9.7" OLED version going for near 2k.

The nearest competitor in price would be the ds1000, so for $300 more you can have a multifunction tablet from apple. I'm confident that a lot of people who bought the irex would also be highly interested in the apple.
$1,000 is a bit more than I'd pay right now. But I'm willing to wait a couple more years for prices to fall once tablets start coming out--and for some of the inevitable kinks to get worked out.

But you're right that I'd definitely go for a multi function tablet over the irex. I don't have much interest in e-ink for this device as I want to do more than just read and mark up pdfs etc. (and don't want the laggy e-ink stylus writing, page turns etc.).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #29
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you look at the cheapest available MacBook in the Apple Store it's $999. A Mac Tablet will be at least that much probably 50% more. Just my WAG.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #30
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I am a serious Iphone addict (bought two months ago). After 20 years on Verizon and its previous known names/entities, I just couldnt find a phone there worth having.

This iphone is seriously been a great phone for me. I have not owned an apple product since the Apple IIe. But if the tablet comes out, I am all over that puppy. I really hope it does. What a great tool I envision!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple tablet, kindle killer