Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for such an in-depth review kacir. This is great.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #47
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Review part III.

Please note that the screens look much, much better on an actual device.
Also note that during the creation of screenshots I was playing with settings and I switched off the antialiasing and have activated "embolden" option instead.

Pix-18.png - The library in view mode "List". Just hold the OK button, select View from menu an then List.
Pix-19.png - The library in view mode "Thumbnails"
Pix-20.png - The library in view mode "Details"
Pix-21.png - next page in Library, in "details" mode
Pix-22.png - next page in Library, in "details" mode
Pix-23.png - Let us go into Photo library
Pix-24.png - Here we see two top level folders
Pix-25.png - and thumbnails of photos that were present on the device when I received it
Pix-26.png - and a detail of a photo. Interesting feature, using left and right buttons on a D pad you can go to the next / previous picture. Great for comics. You can also start slideshow or initiate Zoom.
Pix-27.png - Dictionary. I haven't inserted text I search for yet. This is not dictionary initiated from inside the book, this one is run from main menu, so you can look up any word, not only word that you find in a book.
Pix-28.png - I searched for some word
Pix-29.png - Let's go to see applications. I have installed some by placing them in "games" folder on a main memory. I have installed terminal emulator and some other stuff.
Pix-30.png - Here we see applications.
Pix-31.png - This is my favourite application. Terminal emulator. Here you can type any Linux comand. PocketBook comes with Embeded Debian Emdebian, with many Busybox binaries. You have most of the usual Linux commands available.
Pix-32.png - I have initiated virtual keyboard.
Pix-33.png - If you go into the terminal emulator and you want to leave it, you issue exit command like this
Pix-34.png - To demonstrate some linux command I have typed df comand that lists all mounted filesystems. You can see that the PocketBook company provided really open system. I am looking forward to many, many interesting third party programs and enhancements.
Pix-35.png - Notes I have created in one of the book. You can find notes as html file after you connect the reader to the computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-18.png
Views:	450
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	39008   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-19.png
Views:	629
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	39009   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-20.png
Views:	578
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	39010   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-21.png
Views:	460
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	39011   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-22.png
Views:	440
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	39012   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-23.png
Views:	420
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	39013   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-24.png
Views:	437
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	39014   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-25.png
Views:	448
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	39015   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-26.png
Views:	501
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	39016   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-27.png
Views:	436
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	39017   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-28.png
Views:	491
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	39018   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-29.png
Views:	428
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	39019   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-30.png
Views:	419
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	39020   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-31.png
Views:	413
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	39021   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-32.png
Views:	404
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	39022   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-33.png
Views:	406
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	39023   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-34.png
Views:	443
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	39024   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-35.png
Views:	416
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	39025  

Last edited by kacir; 11-12-2009 at 03:06 PM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #48
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Review Part IV.

Let us continue with the last instalment of screenshots I took today
Pix-36.png - The notes I took from a book during testing
Pix-37.png - the calendar application from the main menu
Pix-38.png - Now, let us have a look at some settings
Pix-39.png - Main configuration page
Pix-40.png - appearance submenu
Pix-41.png - selecting font for user interface and menus
Pix-42.png - selecting antialiasing - none
Pix-43.png - selecting antialiasing - Embolden
Pix-44.png - This is how the book looks after you switch on Embolden. You can compare with previous printscreens of the same page
Pix-45.png - here is submenu Key mapping. There are different options available for the off key. You can only assign "screenshot" function to the off key. Other keys have really large number of functions available. The re-mapped keys are ony re-mapped inside applications. In main menu and configuration screen the up, down, left, right and OK keys always work in default mode. This is to prevent you from sawing off the branch you are sitting on. (You could remap keys to some nonsense ant then you would not be able to return to the menu ;-) )
Pix-46.png - Key mapping screen 2
Pix-47.png - setting the date and clock. You can select of often the clock is updated in FBreader. Default option is during pageturn
Pix-48.png - setting the actual date and time
Pix-49.png - Here is the Maintenance menu.
Pix-50.png - and finally we are back in the menu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-36.png
Views:	355
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	39026   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-37.png
Views:	386
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	39027   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-38.png
Views:	367
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	39028   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-39.png
Views:	370
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	39029   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-40.png
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	39030   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-41.png
Views:	356
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	39031   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-42.png
Views:	356
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	39032   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-43.png
Views:	369
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	39033   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-44.png
Views:	425
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	39034   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-45.png
Views:	354
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	39035   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-46.png
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	39036   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-47.png
Views:	350
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	39037   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-48.png
Views:	337
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	39038   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-49.png
Views:	339
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	39039   Click image for larger version

Name:	pix-50.png
Views:	332
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	39040  

Last edited by kacir; 11-12-2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 PM   #49
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Thank you so much for this review. I'd like to comment that I am extremely pleased with how my 360 device handles html: basic formating, hyperlinks, images all work. I've yet to have a single lock up and I feel really good about the durability and build quality of the device.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #50
squeezlet
squeezlet began at the beginning.

Device: PB360 & PB902
Thank you...

Thank you for such in-depth reviews. I've been wanting to replace my Sony for a while and just placed my order for the 360 after reading your posts - so very helpful.

squeezlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2009, 08:50 PM   #51
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
How do I configure FBreader to use left justification instead of full justification?
Given how many other options the 360 has I am surprised this one is missing. Under OpenInkPot this is stored in ui.xml:
Code:
  <group name="Style">
    <option name="Base:alignment" value="1"/>
    <option name="Base:bold" value="true"/>
    <option name="Base:fontFamily" value="Droid Sans"/>
    <option name="Base:lineSpacingPercent" value="80"/>
  </group>
The PocketBook may store this differently, but a forum search for alignment will probably find it.

How many font sizes are there? This is the one item currently missing from the E-book Reader Matrix.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #52
atm74
atm74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to check whether my PDF file is a DRM or NON-DRM?
atm74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #53
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have yet to discover how to set left justification for FBreader.
This configuration information is stored in /system/config/styles.xml

Changing the line:

<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true"/>

to

<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true" alignment="left"/>

will give left justification.

I have been playing with the firstLineIndentDelta because I like my paragraphs indented a bit more than the default.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #54
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Its really nice to hold, exactly as you'd expect. If you are in the Portland area we could arrange a meet at a mall or somewhere for you to check one out in person. Some place kid friendly since I'd more than likely have one or both of my boys with me.

Strange things about the clicks- I found them to be reassuring that the buttons were strong/durable. Didn't dawn on me that some would be put off by the click. It's good to know.
Got a suggestion for ya. If you are in Portland, then it's just a drive up I-5 to Seattle. Please, Please, try to make it to NORWESCON over Easter Weekend (at the Red Lion Inn at SeaTac airport.) There are lots of people who LIKE TO READ (there are usually about 3000 people at the con), and while most of them are more into SF or F, they are very interested in ebooks.

If you can show up with hardware to show off, you will be popular, and you can most likely either get a table in the dealer's room or find an existing dealer that would be willing to handle sales for the weekend. My biggest problem is finding actual hardware in a condition that I can hold and use (Fry's usually has the things in demo mode, and mostly fixed in place so you can't hold them.) Every extra model would be a bonus, and you'll stand out from the Sonys and Kindles.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:29 AM   #55
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tselling View Post
This configuration information is stored in /system/config/styles.xml

Changing the line:

<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true"/>

to

<style id="0" name="Regular Paragraph" firstLineIndentDelta="20" allowHyphenations="true" alignment="left"/>

will give left justification.

I have been playing with the firstLineIndentDelta because I like my paragraphs indented a bit more than the default.

You are my hero!
Old 11-13-2009, 03:10 AM   #56
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Thank you, Kacir! I have been waiting for an indepth review of Pocketbook 360 before I decided which e-reader I would buy.
I like what I have heard so far, your review is great. I'll start the campaign to convince my dad this weekend. If he says no I'll just wait until I get money, which should be late december....
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:00 AM   #57
davebalme
Enthusiast
davebalme began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Ipad, Kobo Wireless, Archos 70b & 80G9. And a Kobo Arc
wallcraft wrote "How many font sizes are there? This is the one item currently missing from the E-book Reader Matrix."

From what I've read in the manual there's 5 font sizes.
davebalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:49 AM   #58
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebalme View Post
wallcraft wrote "How many font sizes are there? This is the one item currently missing from the E-book Reader Matrix."

From what I've read in the manual there's 5 font sizes.
Select 5 font sizes for fast, and 20 for fine adjustments.
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #59
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
This looks really good. I'll be interested to see if the Adobe rendering (DRM) will still allow the ability to change fonts on the fly and select the embolden feature.

Does the PocketBook 301 get the same firmware/features?
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #60
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
This looks really good. I'll be interested to see if the Adobe rendering (DRM) will still allow the ability to change fonts on the fly and select the embolden feature.

Does the PocketBook 301 get the same firmware/features?
Yes
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote