Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #31
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
Leslie, have you authorized your edge with Adobe Digital Editions?
I authorized my eDGe many months ago, and nevertheless, I now have a problem downloading ebboks from NYPL on the first try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
After a few minutes, all the books from NYPL that would not open all of a sudden would open, so, I gave up trying to figure out WHY at that moment and just read
For whatever (new) reason, it now takes a few mintues for the books to be recognized as "loaned" an to actually open. Not sure when this started, but it wasn't like this in, say, October.

Addendum: I wonder if it's connected to the loss of the "return" functionality?

Last edited by NiaTrue; 02-08-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: addendum

Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #32
borisb
Edge User

This issue of time delays and "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" suggests the eDGe is trying to contact the authorization server each time, and that server is either slow, or up & down (i.e., generally experiencing problems). I think normally books you buy get authorized once, and then you don't need to reauthorize each time you open them...

Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #33
NiaTrue
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
This issue of time delays and "sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't" suggests the eDGe is trying to contact the authorization server each time, and that server is either slow, or up & down (i.e., generally experiencing problems). I think normally books you buy get authorized once, and then you don't need to reauthorize each time you open them...
Yes, as I mentioned to Leslie earlier, this is only a problem the first time you open the book on the eDGe. After that, no problem.

What I don't get is, what changed? It wasn't this way "before," thought I don't have a clear sense of when that dividing line occurred. Some time in December maybe?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #34
Michealj
Edge User

Hi Cheyennedonna, thank you for the information on how to "sideload" a book. It worked as advertised. Our library just went live with e-books.

Regards,

Micheal

Old 02-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #35
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Glad I could help!

Advert
Old 02-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #36
NiaTrue
Edge User

BTW, I submitted a ticket on the problem of the missing "return" functionality and tech support is working on it. I don't think they'd realized that this functionality had been lost with the last update.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:53 AM   #37
NiaTrue
Edge User

More enterprising eDGe owners likely already knew this, but it is possible to open ebooks downloaded using Overdrive on the eink screen. Using the eDGe native library, navigate to the Overdrive folder in internal storage, then select the epub or pdf file you want to open.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #38
Leslie
Edge User

Niatrue, has it ever taken more than six hours for a New York Public Library book to open on the reader side for you?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #39
NiaTrue
Edge User

Never. Usually takes just a second if the ebook has already been authorized through either Adobe Digital Editions or Overdrive. If not and I'm opening it for the first time, it can take a couple of tries but never takes longer than, say, a minute.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #40
Leslie
Edge User

I don't know what is going on. Earlier this week, I downloaded a library book and it worked as it was supposed to, but yesterday I downloaded 2 new ones, one from NYPL and the other from my local library system, exact same steps, and I still get "...loan not found.." message. Oh -- I just remembered. The one change between the two downloads was Over Drive Media updated....

Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #41
NiaTrue
Edge User

Weird. On Friday afternoon, I downloaded the latest Overdrive update. Prior to that, Overdrive was a mess and functioned so horribly I'd uninstalled it. I couldn't download files often and even when autodownload was disabled, it had set itself as the default for downloading all epub and pdf files. Since I downloaded the latest version, however, it's been fantastic.

I can't explain the difference in behavior. Maybe one of the other posters can.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #42
Leslie
Edge User

Quote:
Leslie, have you authorized your edge with Adobe Digital Editions? By that I mean connect your edge to your PC via USB and open Adobe Digital Editions. Your edge should now show as a device in the left hand column and Adobe should offer to authorize your device. A folder will be made on your edge. After you download a library book, open it in Adobe Digital editions, plug in your edge and drag the library book( from the all items area in Adobe) over the listing for your edge. The book will sideload and you will find it in the Digital Editions folder on your edge, in the internal storage directory. Tap it to open. It should open on the reader. Add it to the library if you want.
I went back and did this again, and it worked first time opening. Maybe I was unauthorized somehow...? Dunno.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #43
PugLady
Edge User

Quote:
Leslie, have you authorized your edge with Adobe Digital Editions? By that I mean connect your edge to your PC via USB and open Adobe Digital Editions. Your edge should now show as a device in the left hand column and Adobe should offer to authorize your device. A folder will be made on your edge. After you download a library book, open it in Adobe Digital editions, plug in your edge and drag the library book( from the all items area in Adobe) over the listing for your edge. The book will sideload and you will find it in the Digital Editions folder on your edge, in the internal storage directory. Tap it to open. It should open on the reader. Add it to the library if you want.
THANK YOU! This post is incredibly helpful. Like Leslie, I followed the extensive instructions on how to side load a file (in this case, also a library file) but could not get the document to open on the reader, getting the message that this is a loaned document without permission or something like that.

I followed the instructions above to the letter and it works! This should be a sticky somewhere because it was incredibly instrumental in me getting to bed and doing ANY reading tonight and not sit here pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.

Thanks again for an excellent post.