Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
no pdfviewer in the "standard" 360?

I have been playing around with my new mighty mouse, installing immediately the 15.3 firmware. However I have just realised that the pdfviewer.app is not working: when trying to open a file with it (I have modified the config file so that both Adobeviewer adn pdfviewer are given as options) I get an error popup stating "cannot start program". I thought I could use both Adobereader.app and pdfviewer.app to see pdf files, is this incorrect?

One other problem that I have is that in Adobeviewer when calling up the dictionary there is no way to select a word, the cursor stops at the beginning of a word and the dictionary appears to be picking up something random (see attached screenshot, where the cursor is before the word "steam" and the dictionary returns "airing". Is this a known issue?

EDIT: of course I should have known pdfviewer should be working, but it does not. I tired flashing the US 15.3 firmware, and nothing. I tried the German versions, nothing. I though maybe aspelling error in teh config file, but no.

I flashed 14.2, and all was well, i.e. pdfviewer working adn Adobe not giving issues with the dictionary. At this poitn I thought I had jugged something, so flashed 15.3 again, and got those problems back - no pdfviewer, and problems with dictioary in Adobe. Any help greatly appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0001.bmp (234.5 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by paola; 05-29-2011 at 05:59 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The AdobeViewer dictionary problem you mention was one (of several) reasons I removed v15.3 from my PB360.

AdobeViewer and pdfviewer work OK on v15.2 - they're not error-free (none of the many PB firmware attempts are) but they are useable.

Another option, if you still have the hacked version of AdobeViewerv15.2 on your PB360 (for epub custom fonts). Try also adding the .app name you gave it (in the system/bin dir) to the PDF line in the /system/config/extensions.cfg file, e.g
Code:
pdf:@PDF_file:1:HackedADE.app,pdfviewer.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON_PDF
That should also allow you to use the hacked AdobeViewerv15.2 to read PDFs on a v15.3 PB360. I haven't tried it, but it should work. As far as I know the hack didn't touch any PDF functionality.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i havent liked any of the 15.x firmware and continue to use 14.2 with wrist page turns etc and no problems
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

guys, many thanks - digging deeper I've found out these are problems for other people too. But I am curious to know whether anybody on the December 2010 version of the 15.3 has a functioning pdfviewer.

Jackie, I was sure there was no point in putting in the Hacked version of Adobeviewer, as I thought the basic "engine" would be the same, but of course I was wrong and the dictionary there works perfectly - or so it seems for the moment.

I should perhaps experiment with the first two beta versions to see what happens. Again, many thanks!

For future reference, and until we get a non beta version of 15 , I found Kacir's beta testing sheet useful.

Last edited by paola; 05-30-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 AM   #5
paola
Wizard

problem solved!

I should have studied better before, I know, as basically in this forum there is all the info one needs, the problem is that it is sometimes difficult to spot - anyhow, the solution is in this post: it provides a "pdfviewer.app" file developed on the Russian forum that I simply copied in "system\bin".

Then pdfviewer works (at least, so far it does!), and so does the dictionary.
So just to recap, it is possible to use the December version of 15.3 and all the applications provided that:

1) for a fully functioning dictionary in Adobeviewer you use the "hacked" version;

2) for a working pdfviewer you download and install JAW's pdfviewer.
Advert
Old 05-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Nevermind, ignore please

Last edited by jackie_w; 05-30-2011 at 05:32 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote