Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
firebelow
firebelow began at the beginning.

Device: PB902
PDF Bug 2.0.6: PDF exits back to Home. How can I work around this?

Essentially the bug is as the title says. I'll be reading a PDF and an action I take causes it to exit back to the Home screen. How can I get around this bug? Is there something I can do during the PDF creation that will get around this problem?

1. This is for the 902, firmware version 2.0.6 (I am hesitant to test out 2.1.0 Beta 2 that's been posted on Russian forums, so this problem may not exist after the update, but this is a "production" e-reader I use for school textbooks, so I can't just go upgrading to beta versions willy-nilly to find new bugs).

2. It occurs for multiple PDFs that I create using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.

3. All the PDFs are a scanned book image (JPG) that has been imported into Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, OCR scanned, and saved as a PDF. The problem does not appear to occur for non-image based PDFs.

4. This occurs for even a 1 page PDF, <500kB in size.

5. The problem occurs most often during two scenarios: (i) The e-reader is changed from portrait to landscape mode. (ii) Using the track-pad to scroll the page. The zoom function seems to work fine.
firebelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
There are two PDF readers available on the device. Move the cursor over your PDF in the library, then either hold down the OK button (the round one) or press the Menu button (the one that has an icon like an open book) to bring up a menu. Select the "Open" option, then choose the reader that doesn't have the bullet symbol beside it (probably pdfviewer). See if it can read your files without crashing.

I wonder if the problem is with the JPEG support. Can you easily switch to another image format, say PNG or TIFF with LZW compression?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
firebelow
firebelow began at the beginning.

Device: PB902
I seem to have reasonably solved the issue.

I said, screw it, and went ahead and installed 2.1b2. I also started using software other than Adobe Acrobat to create the PDF. The zoom and pan bug is fixed in 2.1b2, so that's an added bonus.

It seems to be fixed it for the most part. It's only happened once since; much better than the 50/50 chance I was having before.
firebelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
welcome to the 2.1.0 world
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebelow View Post
I seem to have reasonably solved the issue.

I said, screw it, and went ahead and installed 2.1b2. I also started using software other than Adobe Acrobat to create the PDF. The zoom and pan bug is fixed in 2.1b2, so that's an added bonus.

It seems to be fixed it for the most part. It's only happened once since; much better than the 50/50 chance I was having before.
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote