Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
How Do You Get Unstuck?

I've been in a reading funk for about a month or so and I can not seem to get out. I've started a hand full of books or series, just to put them back down again.

Edit: I have plenty of reading material, but nothing seems to be holding my attention.

How do you get yourself out of a reading rut?

Last edited by Nyssa; 05-14-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Sometimes when it happens to me I start reading short stories or novellas. Magazines like those available at Fictionwise are good for that. Less of a commitment, and gives my brain some space to get interested in something else.

Other times, I'll focus on something else for a while, like photography or I'll shoot some silly video to edit or something like that.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I do logic puzzles or things like that, and then I look for an entirely new type of reading material (magazines or other things) until I want to read a book again.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Usually I find it's because I'm trying to read things that I feel I should, or have been recommended and I'm truly just not interested in reading... either genres or characters that just aren't 'me'. What I do is to grab an all time favorite 'fun' book - brain candy- and indulge myself in my guiltiest reading pleasure.... it tends to remind me of what I like to read, then I go from there. Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I try reading something completely different from what I've been reading - a brand new author, an old classic, or a "cheap thriller" - as long as it's totally different.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Sometimes I'll set myself a daily quota, not too onerous, of a number of pages I have to finish. As many pages as I might read in half an hour, say. I can surprise myself and find I keep reading past my requirement.

It'll pass.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm actually going through the same reading funk thing myself this month.

Mostly I'm rereading books I've enjoyed in the past and working my way through some older Fantasy & Science Fiction magazines I've been picking up at Fictionwise with all the recent discount coupons.

I *have* given up on driving myself to the '100 books in 2011' challenge. I found I was concentrating too much on numbers and just not enjoying what I was reading.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Happens to me every now and then. I usually go back to a really good book that I've read in the past and reread it, then after that I can usually get back into new books.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
TonyR
Connoisseur
TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!TonyR rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, Jetbook Lite, iPod Touch
CWatkinsNash's suggestion of short stories or novellas rather than whole books is a good one; I'd add essays and poetry to that. Taking in the words as bite-size snacks rather than seven-course dinners is a good way to get back on track. Something else that has worked for me on those occasions is watching movies or television programs based on short stories or novels. Watching a good one, and knowing that the book or story is generally a lot better than the filmed version, usually nudges me back toward the printed page. Some people use audiobooks too.

Bests to all,
--Tony Rabig

Last edited by dreams; 05-15-2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: [promotional links removed by moderation]
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I usually put out a "I need something new, any suggestions?" status on Facebook. My friends usually come through with some gold. It's actually what got me to read "Ender's Game" and "Starship Troopers", both of which I LOVED.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
Happens to me every now and then. I usually go back to a really good book that I've read in the past and reread it, then after that I can usually get back into new books.
I usually do this too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
If I've been reading a lot of fiction, I try a non-fiction book. And vice versa.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #13
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Oh, just go watch action movies. They certainly help.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 AM   #14
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Two suggestions: (1) read non-fiction (2) read fanfiction.

Yes, I'm serious about fanfiction. Fanfiction has broken me out of reading funks by sort of helping me re-experience some of my favourite works through either alternate interpretations or shameless fandom wish fantasies. They're also generally short because of many are either casual, a one-shot, or dead fic. Eventually Sturgeon's Law rears its head and I'm much more excited to tackle my stack of published original fiction.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
What a wonderful collection of suggestions!

@ CWatkinsNash & TonyR: What a great idea. I have over a hundred short stories that I have not read as yet!
I've heard many people mention Fictionwise, but I have not really tried it myself, other than to check out a specific story. So that will go on my to do list.

@ GraceKrispy: I love logic puzzles. I used to have a few dedicated magazines from PennyPress & Dell. I haven't seen them lately and the subscriptions were quite expensive the last time I looked, but that was a few years ago. I'll have to check again.

@ GoSharks, poohbear_nc, jgaiser, Fayth & AnemicOak: I tried both looking forward (to something new) and going back to a favorite, even that fell flat, which is how I realized that I was in "trouble". I've considered lowering my 100 Book Challenge goal, numerous times, but then change my mind. Thank you all for good luck wishes!

@ issybird: I really would not have thought of that. I think it would work in conjunction with the short story suggestion.

@ GA Russell & bashfulbanshee:Hmm, I did promise myself I'd read more non-fiction this year, but I think I'd have to get my reading mojo back before I trying to tackle the genre. As for fanfic, I have one or two in my collection.

@ maianhvk: Really? How so?

Have I mentioned, that I love this site!?!

Last edited by Nyssa; 05-15-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote