Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
nope. fingers always leave marks on the screen and I hate that. As for a stylus, I like them and use them on all touchscreen devices precisely to avoid leaving finger marks. But having used the PB360 for a while now, I would say that not touching the screen at all is the way to go for an ebook reader. For an Internet tablet a touchscreen is fine. But no for a ereader.

YMMV
You've obviously never used an eink device with a touchscreen (not an overlay type touchscreen). The Sony x50 screen leaves very little noticeable fingerprints. I have one so I know from experience. Also, they come with a stylus if you want to use that. But for page turns, you don't need the stylus and the swiping is just so good. Take a look at the iPad 1. It has fingerprints all over the place. But my 650? Nope. It doesn't. And I clean it once in a while. But I don't have to do it every day.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #32
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Fingerprints are the result of action of our eccrine glands which leave sweat marks, mostly water and salt, on any screen types. To deny that is infantile.
And yes, I have used Sony readers, I just don't like them (or Sony, for that matter, a freedom hating company which actually installed rootkits and backdoors on computers until they got caught).
But hey, if you don't see fingerstains on your Sony, that's great. To each its own. Just don't tell me about a) physics-defying miracles b) what kind of readers I have or have not tried, ok?

Last edited by Farhad; 04-09-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #33
celemark
Enthusiast
celemark doesn't littercelemark doesn't litter

Device: EBookwise-1150, PocketBook 360, Kindle 3 SO 3G, PocketBook Touch Lux 5
I would be happy if PB sticks with basically the same body, but just improves the processor and screen (Pearl). Not concerned about Wi-Fi, as long as it can be turned off.
celemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #34
Deneb
Groupie
Deneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it isDeneb knows what time it is

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by celemark View Post
I would be happy if PB sticks with basically the same body, but just improves the processor and screen (Pearl). Not concerned about Wi-Fi, as long as it can be turned off.
Can Wi-Fi be turned off? I didn't know that. How does it work, just a preference to choose?
Deneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #35
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Fingerprints are the result of action of our eccrine glands which leave sweat marks, mostly water and salt, on any screen types. To deny that is infantile.
And yes, I have used Sony readers, I just don't like them (or Sony, for that matter, a freedom hating company which actually installed rootkits and backdoors on computers until they got caught).
But hey, if you don't see fingerstains on your Sony, that's great. To each its own. Just don't tell me about a) physics-defying miracles b) what kind of readers I have or have not tried, ok?
You can like or dislike what ever you want to but there are no fingerprints to be seen on the Sony x50 matte screens. So please do not spread wrong information! I don't know what happened to the unit in the shop you saw, maybe it was touched by someone with sweaty or dirty hands, or someone who had just used handlotion, or when they were cleaned the last time, but this is absolutly no proof for your denying the truth.

Talking about infantile... it is indeed infantile to tell us what is seen or not on the devices we use each day for a couple of hours. BTW you could do with some better manners.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneb View Post
Can Wi-Fi be turned off? I didn't know that. How does it work, just a preference to choose?
On a well designed device (and even many poorly-designed ones) it is a standard feature to enable/disable WiFi. It would be a singularly bad design that wouldn't allow it.

For the PB 360, for example, the motion sensor can be manually turned off as well as getting switched off when the reader goes to sleep. The same applies to the WiFi on the IQ and other Wifi-equiped readers.

There is no reason why Wifi should be a minus, even if you don't use it.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #37
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
So please do not spread wrong information! BTW you could do with some better manners.
How about this: I say what I want, you say what you want, and we don't tell each other what (or how) we would have the other speak. Ok?
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #38
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
maybe it was touched by someone with sweaty or dirty hands, or someone who had just used handlotion, or when they were cleaned the last time,
You are actually yourself stating why touchscreen in reader is bad idea.

With buttons none of that is any problem.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #39
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
You are actually yourself stating why touchscreen in reader is bad idea.

With buttons none of that is any problem.
Oh, I'd have thought there is a difference between having lots of more or less dirty people using something that might not get cleaned so often and using and taking care of it only yourself.

If this is how your reader would turn out than it really is a better idea for you not to have a touchscreen. And make sure it is a black one, too.

Actually for me there is a big difference between the loo in the mall and the one at my home but this seems to be not so true for everyone, or is it?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #40
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
I have a silver PB360 for a year now and I read alot. I love it but I notice that although it still works perfectly, the plastic casing has all sorts of minor to heavy wear. Even worse, the silver/white color is fading too. Well, I guess it's the problem with cheap plastic. Has anyone noticed the same thing?

I used to own a Sony PRS505 for a year and a half and the metal case still looked very good with minimum wear even until the day I sold it.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #41
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
I have a silver PB360 for a year now and I read alot. I love it but I notice that although it still works perfectly, the plastic casing has all sorts of minor to heavy wear. Even worse, the silver/white color is fading too. Well, I guess it's the problem with cheap plastic. Has anyone noticed the same thing?
I've had my ivory 360 for over a year now and I love it. I read for hours every day.

I have noticed a lot of wear and tear on the bottom of the reader, none on the hard clip on cover, though. In fact, it arrived with small scratches on it. It annoyed me at the time, but I wasn't going to shell out postage costs from Australia back to the US to have it replaced. It's not a big deal and there are more noticeable scratches now anyway. I am very careful with it and was surprised that it scratched so easily, but with the amount that I use it, that's to be expected, I think.

As for your Sony, I'm guessing that had a book cover on it.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I've had my ivory 360 for over a year now and I love it. I read for hours every day.

I have noticed a lot of wear and tear on the bottom of the reader, none on the hard clip on cover, though. In fact, it arrived with small scratches on it. It annoyed me at the time, but I wasn't going to shell out postage costs from Australia back to the US to have it replaced. It's not a big deal and there are more noticeable scratches now anyway. I am very careful with it and was surprised that it scratched so easily, but with the amount that I use it, that's to be expected, I think.

As for your Sony, I'm guessing that had a book cover on it.
It's true, my ex-Sony had a standard thin cover. But I have to give Sony the credit for building a sturdy reader. My 2 year old nice accidentally stood on it twice and absolutely nothing happened to the screen nor the case. Amazing!

I read a lot too so I cannot complain about the wear on my PB360 reader and I still love it. It's just now I have just ordered a pink (my color) PRS350 (and still waiting for it to arrive), I might have to put either one on ebay soon. And I have no idea if someone actually wants a perfectly working PB with that much wear, sigh!

Last edited by mimosavj; 04-13-2011 at 10:14 AM.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

There is someone selling the original Sony pink cover for an incredible price on ebay.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #44
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Your comment is absurd. And, while you might make claims to the contrary, you have NEVER played with a x50 series Sony reader, as they don't leave ANY fingerprints/smudges/stains. In the future, try it before commenting.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:49 PM   #45
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
After typing this I pulled out my 350 and can say, beyond any question, that there isn't any sort of smudge, mark, or fingerprint on this little beast, despite the fact that I read for 2-3 hours per day, have done so since I got the machine in early February (2.5 months ago), and have not ONCE wiped down the screen. The extent of my cleaning of the screen has been to blow on it gently whenever there is a hair, or piece of lint, dust, or anything else. There is litterally not a mark on the screen.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote