Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 AM   #16
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There are many products that require registration prior to use. Pocketbook are doing nothing "wrong" here. If you don't like it, buy something else.
If it was simply the product registration it would go down easier, but to register your product they force you to join their store .... its an underhanded tactic.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If I had bought my kindle in a store instead of from Amazon, which functionality would have been disabled?
You can't create collections on an unregistered Kindle, and most of the configuration options are disabled.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:06 AM   #18
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are you saying that setting regcount=1 in global.cfg disables the registration screen only one time? Then the system somehow determines that there has been no registration and resets regcount?

No. I don't know where the device stores the information that the registration has been done. But if you haven't registered, the registration screen comes up every tenth start of the device and the device increments the number in "regcount" every time you start the device.
For me, the registration screen "destroys" my way of putting the device on. I have it set on "open last book". But after clicking away the registration screen the PB never opens the last book but always the Main Menu or the Library Menu. That's why I sometimes set this number back to 1 to get 9 "fresh" starts without this annoying registration request.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you buy the Kindle in a store, rather than direct from Amazon, it (obviously) comes unregistered. Much of the functionality is disabled to encourage you to register.
I consider that practice *very* annoying. It is one of things that keeps me from purchasing Kindle (and other products, such as iWhatever).

What The [*BEEP*] has Collections functionality or enhanced configurability to do with my registering or not?
The user has purchased an expensive piece of electronics, NOT downloaded some bloody shareware/crippleware/nagware piece of crappy software.

If I purchased such product, I would spend considerable amount of time trying to hack or cheat or bypass such features.
If it wasn't possible to bypass, I would try to register using email, such as IDoNoWantToTell@SoGetThis.com (which is, surprisingly, a valid email address, where you can even read the mail with registration details - see www.mailinator.com), name John Smith, or Ivan Kuznec ...
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #20
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
That's why I sometimes set this number back to 1 to get 9 "fresh" starts without this annoying registration request.
Try -99999 ;-)
Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Prior to purchase of the 360 (e.g., before you turned on your new device), was there any place on the packaging, in the instructions, or on their website's sales literature for this device (not buried away in a support) stating that functionality would be limited if you don't register?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try -99999 ;-)

Many, many thanks. Such an easy solution - and I've been such a silly-billy not to find it myself .
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Well, I don't know if there's a connection, but for no apparent reason I had a 21$ credit voucher on my bookland account, so maybe registering your devices might be good for something
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #24
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Try -99999 ;-)
Such an easy solution - and I've been such a silly-billy not to find it myself .
Tell us if it works.
You see, I am just shooting from my hip, as I don't have the Plus model.
If it doesn't work, try other numbers, like 0.
Also ask people that DID register, what is their number.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #25
Billi
Wizard

Yes, it actually worked .
I tried with other numbers before but never thought of the negative numbers . Thanks again. I like my PB a great deal better now.