Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #31
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
... i think my KOBO may just be offloaded to my partner and a new Kindle 3 on its way to me!
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #32
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The Kindle 3 wifi is simply a much better reader than the Kobo -- better screen, built-in dictionary, many more features, better bookstore, more content.

But its a mistake to write off the Kobo -- it's got great features and some exclusives which keep it in the running. It allows you to access ePubs, and DRM ePubs such as those at local public libraries. Its bookstore is actually pretty good in terms of content and has localised content, such as several hundred titles from Dundurn Press in Canada. It's cheaper: at $128 without shipping charges (in Canada -- drop by a Cahpters/Indigo) vs the $139 + shipping for the Kindle 3.

The best of both worlds: buy one of each and enjoy the merits of each and the exclusives of each. That was my choice.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #33
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I reckon i'll jump to the kindle for a couple of reasons
1. Speed... the kobo is slow and i didn't find it annoying at first, but now it grates.
2. Built in dictionary... so damn handy.
3. Speed... did i mention that?
4. The screen i guess... but did i mention speed?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 AM   #34
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
But one just has to wonder how long publishers and Amazon are going to let
people fiddle with their products and load them onto devices that they aren't supposed to be able to and whatnot. How long before the Calibre folks are subject to litigation, or perhaps just being buried in cash in return for handing over Calibre to one of the involved entities.
Wow!!!!!
I'm sure people in the business have something similar on their minds,
but it is and it does sound insane. Why should I let manufacturer decide
how I would use my reader? And how I want to put files on that very
reader? I'm positive that whatever the licence or contract says, common
sense law is over it. Imagine we make a contract to expose you to high
temperature and burn you all over. Is it valid? No way! Spite you say you
want it, you can't do that and I can't help you. There was a voice that
one software giant wants to patent "shutdown" process. All birds on the
planet know that it was invented before the company in question was
even in plan. If they get the patent, it just shows that the patent is
part of Alzheimer process and put all other patents in jeopardy of been
removed without a sight. People should not follow the way to an abyss.
My point is that nobody could go after Calibre for they convert formats.
Just as nobody could go after me for breaking my LP into 2 pieces.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #35
karunaji
Evangelist
karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.karunaji ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Bookeen Opus
Quote:
people fiddle with their products and load them onto devices that they aren't supposed to be able to and whatnot. How long before the Calibre folks are subject to litigation, or perhaps just being buried in cash in return for handing over Calibre to one of the involved entities.
Not sure why Calibre is mentioned as a potential target. They have nothing to do with breaking of the DRM, as far as I know.

You can also convert your documents or ebooks to Kindle format with free Amazon service. I don't think that your documents become Amazon's property when you put them on Kindle in this way.

Although Amazon can discontinue this free service at any time or issue a new firmware for your device that would allow reading books only from Kindle store, why would they do that?

All e-reader devices, Kobo, Kindle etc., in essence are small computers with e-ink screen. It doesn't make sense for content providers to control your device. If you can use your computer to load both KindlePC and Adobe Digital Editions software to read DRM protected books from different vendors, why not on your smaller computer?

Amazon is not opening Kindle because they may be selling Kindles below cost, or they may be genuinely interested to provide the best experience to technically less skilled customers. Whatever their intentions, I just want to read my books on one device at the time.
karunaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #36
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Twaddle.

There are plenty of DRM free ebook formats available free or for purchase.

Calibre does not provide ANY methodology to remove DRM from a ebook. It will only allow conversion or adjustment of metadata on DRM free ebooks.

Blame those who create the DRM removal scripts before singling out Calibre.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #37
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Btw, is DRM part of original book? If no, I assume it must be rewritten
document. Frankly, I never read a chapter named "drm".
That whole issue would be funny if it's not tragic in very nature.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #38
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
If you mean, "How do I put an epub on the kobo", well then the Kobo supports epubs natively. You can put it on the SD Card or just connect it to your computer and drop it in there. Easy as pie.

If you meant "How do I put an epub on my new Kindle", well it's still possible, just use Calibre. It is available for both macs and pc's. http://calibre-ebook.com/
I meant the Kindle.

Don't you have to strip the DRM from the epubs to put it on the Kindle? I can't find instructions for that on the Mac.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #39
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
) vs the $139 + shipping for the Kindle 3.
plus import fees plus exchange.

It wasn't cheap. It's cheaper than it has been but it wasn't cheap.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #40
zoran
himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
I meant the Kindle.
Don't you have to strip the DRM from the epubs to put it on the Kindle? I can't find instructions for that on the Mac.
I don't have k3 and am eager to ask question that is obvious to you, who
have the device. Does it run any kind of data base to have information,
like kobo? How long it takes to handle new books? Does usb cable connect
to any power charger, aside native kindle one? Some issue with battery
indicator, or it shows state without jumps?
A little comparison kobo vs k3 would be fine. Pics and user experience.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #41
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
plus import fees plus exchange.

It wasn't cheap. It's cheaper than it has been but it wasn't cheap.
My total came to $155.68US ($159.90CDN) - I did not have any shipping charges (do not know why). For me, the Kobo, with taxes, is about $20 cheaper.
Quote:
The following items have been shipped to you by Amazon.com:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty Item Price Shipped Subtotal

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon Export Sales, Inc.):

1 Kindle Wireless Reading De... $139.00 1 $139.00

Shipped via UPS International

Tracking number: Removed for Privacy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $139.00
Shipping and handling: $0.00

Import Fees Deposit: $16.68

Total: $155.68

Paid by Visa: $155.68

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This shipment was sent to:

Chris
Quebec
Canada
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM   #42
R2P2
R2P2 began at the beginning.

Anybody who just wants a Kindle 3 because of the speed and screen, and also has books that won't easily go onto a Kindle (e.g. DRM'd books from the Kobo store), should probably just wait a bit. The screen isn't exclusive to Amazon, so there should be lots of other improved readers out in the near future that will be less of a hassle. I know Sony has a refresh on the way.
R2P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:43 AM   #43
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
My total came to $155.68US ($159.90CDN) - I did not have any shipping charges (do not know why). For me, the Kobo, with taxes, is about $20 cheaper.
Mine was $177 with the exchange.

Item(s) Subtotal: $139.00
Shipping & Handling: $20.98
-----
Total Before Tax: $159.98
Estimated Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $6.95
-----
Grand Total: $166.93

I paid for the fastest shipping. So yeah Kobo is $20 cheaper. LOL
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I don't have k3 and am eager to ask question that is obvious to you, who
have the device. Does it run any kind of data base to have information,
like kobo?
I don't know what you mean.

Quote:

How long it takes to handle new books?
if you mean how long to add books it's under 30 seconds if you use wireless. I haven't done it through the usb cord to the computer (as in download from Amazon and add to the Kindle). I've used the Amazon website to send samples directly to the Kindle and it's under 30 seconds as well. I don't have the 3G option.

Waaay faster than the Kobo.

Quote:
Does usb cable connect
to any power charger, aside native kindle one?
It will only use the Kindle one. It does come with a power adapter so you can plug into an outlet instead of only charging it through a computer. That power adapter works with any usb cable.

Quote:
Some issue with battery
indicator, or it shows state without jumps?
I haven't used it enough to determine.

Quote:
A little comparison kobo vs k3 would be fine. Pics and user experience.
I'm sure you could find something on the internet.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #45
kajoob
kajoob doesn't litterkajoob doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
I meant the Kindle.

We're not allowed to give you explicit directions on this site. Here are some terms to Google: 'mobidedrm' and 'inept decrypter'
kajoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo kindle 3 k3 switch