Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
shihtse
shihtse began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Crashed PRS 505

I just got the PRS-505 2 days ago. Everythings work fine until today. The problem I have is described below. I would appreciate it if you could help me as it is difficult for me to send back the unit to Sony service. (I live in Canada, but mail order the book from B&H in the US because it is cheaper even after the taxes/duties/shipping!)

I appologize if someone had the same problem and posted on the forum already.

I used the Sony eBook Library software to transfer the book to the reader's own memory. Somehow the the PC was frozen and I had to force the program to quit. Then, I eject the reader and restart the eBook Library again. This is when I found the problem. The eBook Library cannot see the reader. The collections were erased from the reader. But, the books associated with those collection are still there.

I thought maybe the EBook Library program was crashed. So, I tried with Calibre. But, I have the same problem. I can't send the book to the reader's main memory.

The message says "database of books on reader is corrupted." I follow the instruction that say "delete media.xml" in the reader's main memory. I did that. (Not sure if I delete the right file(s) though. I deleted media.xml from database\cache and tmp\database\cache)

I also tried sending the book to the memory with Calibre. Here is the message I got.
------
'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\__init__.pyo", line 159, in dispatch
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 692, in books_uploaded
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 184, in add_books_to_metadata
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 446, in add_books_to_metadata
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'add_book'
-----
shihtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, shihtse, and sorry that your first post is with a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtse View Post
I used the Sony eBook Library software to transfer the book to the reader's own memory. Somehow the the PC was frozen and I had to force the program to quit.
When the PC froze did it unauthorized the PC and or Reader from the Sony Library?

Quote:
Then, I eject the reader and restart the eBook Library again. This is when I found the problem. The eBook Library cannot see the reader.
Did you try to reauthorized again?

Quote:
The collections were erased from the reader. But, the books associated with those collection are still there.
Do you mean that the Reader still has the books on it under books but not in collection folders?

Do you mean that the collection folders are gone, or do you mean that the books in the folders are gone?

Having more exact information will make it easier to offer suggestions for help.

AND..... if all else fails there is the reset option..

instructions are found in the below thread..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21337

Hopefully you will have your Reader up and going soon. I have the 505 and take it everywhere everyday with me
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
shihtse
shihtse began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Thanks for the info, Dreams. I don't know what you mean by unauthorize/reauthorize the PC or reader. The eBook Library program froze. So, I had to shut down the program. When I reopened the program, I noticed I had a problem with the reader. The reader still has the books, but they are no longer in the collection folders. I tried the hard reset. Did not work either.

After tinkering with various things, I got it to work again. I suspect the problem is that the eBook Library is a very unstable program. It also caused my other PC to freeze. Once we have to force a program shutdown with reader in tact to the PC, then we have problem with the reader as well.

Below is FYI for people who may have the same problem in the future.

-----
1) Use Windows Explorer to delete media.xml" in the reader's main memory (in database\cache and perhaps tmp\database\cache as well).

2) Use Windows Explorer to delete all book files in the reader's main memory (in database\media\books).

3) Eject and unplug the reader from the PC. Start eBook Library. Then, hook up reader to the PC. Now you should be able to do anything on the reader using eBook Library or Calibre.

---
shihtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
3) Eject and unplug the reader from the PC. Start eBook Library. Then, hook up reader to the PC. Now you should be able to do anything on the reader using eBook Library or Calibre.
I'm glad you were able to solve your problem.

I do 3) backwards

Hook up my Reader USB cable only to the PC.

Turn the Reader on.

Hook up the USB to the Reader.

Now, I open the Sony eLibrary.

When done transferring ebooks I delink from the PC
by using the icon on the right of the the word "Reader" in the eLibrary (left hand side list).

Last, I close the eLibrary.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote