Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Question Do you think a screen replacement will cure this? (video included)

Hello,
Sorry I've started another thread about my dodgy kindle display, but I'm lousy at written descriptions and just end up confusing people

Take a butcher's at this if you've got a minutes, I've described the problem in the description box.

http://youtu.be/x6PVqxKOHeA
Frothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
kibbler1138
kibbler1138 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
We're twinsies!!!

I have the same exact problem as you!

Mine started after I decided to crack open the case on mine to fix the rattling loose screw issue I've had for 2 years.

FWIW, I bought a used Kindle 3 Keyboard (wifi only) and tried swapping screens. No luck!

Here's what I've been through so far in detail: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2367694

So mine is 2+ years old and very much out of warranty (not to mention I cracked it open). I called support and got a nice guy who couldn't help me and suggested I put it back together and use their trade-in feature to get about $15 toward a new one.

Did you send the old one in?
kibbler1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
psycholoner
Enthusiast
psycholoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I REALLY doubt there is anything wrong with the screen. Not sure if its hardware failure or firmware failure. Have you tried loading pictures and pdf files? If they still work, than it is definitely not a screen problem. If that still doesn't work and you're willing to bend the rules a bit, you can also try jailbreaking and installing Duokan on the device and try the picture viewer in there and see if the problem still persists.

If you have pictures working in ANY of those tests, you might just have corrupted firmware and reinstalling the firmware might just fix it. Another problem might be actual problems with the screensaver pictures. I once had power problems with my kindle which resulted in corrupted screensaver pics when I managed to fix it. If you install the screensaver hack you can take a look at those too.

If you do end up doing something like installing firmware and the jailbreak, there is a small risk of messing up the system if you do something REALLY stupid and don't follow the instructions closely, so be aware of that if you try.
psycholoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Frothy
Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frothy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbler1138 View Post
I have the same exact problem as you!

Mine started after I decided to crack open the case on mine to fix the rattling loose screw issue I've had for 2 years.

FWIW, I bought a used Kindle 3 Keyboard (wifi only) and tried swapping screens. No luck!

Here's what I've been through so far in detail: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2367694

So mine is 2+ years old and very much out of warranty (not to mention I cracked it open). I called support and got a nice guy who couldn't help me and suggested I put it back together and use their trade-in feature to get about $15 toward a new one.

Did you send the old one in?
Hi,
SNAP! I've just checked out your photo on dropbox and as you say it's EXACTLY the same!!! And there's me thinking I was only one with the prob!

I'm sorry you went to the trouble and expense of swapping the displays, I won't do that now! Lol

I had a bit more luck with Amazon than you. Initially they offered me a £18 discount on the £69 wifi kindle, which I thought was fair as my kindle is also out of warranty. Anyhows I rang them up a week later to take them up on their offer, and stone the crows the CS guy said he'd send me a new KK with 3G to boot! which mine never had. I've put in the draw and am still using the faulty one (the text is fine). The only problem is that Amazon de-registered it! But thank heaven for good old Calibre which now removes the DRM for me so I can still read my purchases.

EDIT: In answer to your question, as you've no doubt guessed by now they said I could keep my old one.

Last edited by Frothy; 01-05-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Frothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycholoner View Post
I REALLY doubt there is anything wrong with the screen. Not sure if its hardware failure or firmware failure. Have you tried loading pictures and pdf files? If they still work, than it is definitely not a screen problem. If that still doesn't work and you're willing to bend the rules a bit, you can also try jailbreaking and installing Duokan on the device and try the picture viewer in there and see if the problem still persists.

If you have pictures working in ANY of those tests, you might just have corrupted firmware and reinstalling the firmware might just fix it. Another problem might be actual problems with the screensaver pictures. I once had power problems with my kindle which resulted in corrupted screensaver pics when I managed to fix it. If you install the screensaver hack you can take a look at those too.

If you do end up doing something like installing firmware and the jailbreak, there is a small risk of messing up the system if you do something REALLY stupid and don't follow the instructions closely, so be aware of that if you try.
Thankyou for that, And much appreciated. I will try some of the things you suggest and report back.

Funnily enough, now that I've got used to the problem it doesn't bother me anymore. The text is still fine which is all that matters for me.
Advert