Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Pages left in chapter error?

One cool thing I really like about the stock B&N reader on my NT is the "pages left in chapter" feature when you pull the menu up. On my Kindle 3, I was always looking ahead and the next chapter to get an idea how long the next chapter or section was. I read a lot on breaks at work and I hate to stop in the middle of a section so I'd look ahead to see if I thought I'd be able to make through the next chapter or scene break before my break ended. This cool feature comes in handy.

I've noticed a problem though. While the first couple of books I read worked perfectly, the book I'm now reading doesn't show the correct information for pages left. This book is an omnibus that has a two-level ncx. Everything on the first level works fine. However there are three subsections on the second level. One under book one, one under book two and a section under extras. Anything on this second level, all the chapters for book one let's say, show together as one large chapter as far as the "pages left" feature is concerned.

I really don't see anything different about the structure of this book over the previous books I read that seemed to work other than having a two-level ncx.

Has anyone else noticed this or know anything about how the structure should be setup in order for this to work correctly?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I agree that the "pages left in chapter" is very handy. I believe that a "chapter" is considered to be anything that is implemented in the epub as an H1 entry (in html terms). Such entries are also included in the Table of Contents. Sub-entries are implemented as H2, H3, etc. HTML tags. So, if the Nook uses the H1 entry as its mechanism to determine how many pages are left in a chapter, it will screw up if your epub has real chapters at a lower level (h2, etc) in that hierarchy.

You could reformat the pub with Sigil and change the real chapters to use H1 as the tag, but you'd have to remove that tag from the higher-levels (books). You could, I suppose, build your own links to those higher areas.

I am unsure about whether current Nooks show sub-entries in the Table of Contents. With the Classic Nook, they did for awhile, then they lost the ability, then I think I read that they have reacquired it. Keeps changing.

By the way, what does "ncx" stand for?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I agree that the "pages left in chapter" is very handy. I believe that a "chapter" is considered to be anything that is implemented in the epub as an H1 entry (in html terms). Such entries are also included in the Table of Contents. Sub-entries are implemented as H2, H3, etc. HTML tags. So, if the Nook uses the H1 entry as its mechanism to determine how many pages are left in a chapter, it will screw up if your epub has real chapters at a lower level (h2, etc) in that hierarchy.

You could reformat the pub with Sigil and change the real chapters to use H1 as the tag, but you'd have to remove that tag from the higher-levels (books). You could, I suppose, build your own links to those higher areas.

I am unsure about whether current Nooks show sub-entries in the Table of Contents. With the Classic Nook, they did for awhile, then they lost the ability, then I think I read that they have reacquired it. Keeps changing.

By the way, what does "ncx" stand for?

NCX (Navigation Control file for XML) is the table of contents file for an epub. Most modern epub readers don't need an in-line toc even though they usually come with one. You know when you're scrolling through the book and you come across a page or pages that say "Table of Contents"? That is an inline toc. It's basically built just like any other page or chapter in the book. This is what mobi uses and it's a hold-over from the early days of ebooks. The ncx file, usually named toc.ncx, is the table of contents file and it's what you see on the NT when you bring up the menu and click on content. Epubs on most modern readers really only need the toc.ncx file and don't need the hand-built, in-line toc.

As far as the H1 tags go, I don't think that's what drives the chapters. When I look at the structure of the epub in question, every single chapter or section of the book is named with H1 tag. That's all they used. The multi-level structure, the hieratchy is established in the toc.ncx file, so there's nothing to change as all the heading tags are all already H1.

The Nook Tablet, and I believe the Nook Color show all levels of a properly built chapter hierarchy. I'm not certain about older Nooks but I'm not concerned with them either. The NT is the only one I'm concerned with.

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
OK, it's possible I'm thinking of Sigil generating the toc for you by using h1 entries. The h1 entries themselves may not do it.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
One cool thing I really like about the stock B&N reader on my NT is the "pages left in chapter" feature when you pull the menu up. On my Kindle 3, I was always looking ahead and the next chapter to get an idea how long the next chapter or section was. I read a lot on breaks at work and I hate to stop in the middle of a section so I'd look ahead to see if I thought I'd be able to make through the next chapter or scene break before my break ended. This cool feature comes in handy.

I've noticed a problem though. While the first couple of books I read worked perfectly, the book I'm now reading doesn't show the correct information for pages left. This book is an omnibus that has a two-level ncx. Everything on the first level works fine. However there are three subsections on the second level. One under book one, one under book two and a section under extras. Anything on this second level, all the chapters for book one let's say, show together as one large chapter as far as the "pages left" feature is concerned.

I really don't see anything different about the structure of this book over the previous books I read that seemed to work other than having a two-level ncx.

Has anyone else noticed this or know anything about how the structure should be setup in order for this to work correctly?

Thanks.

- Byron
I saw that recently on a book with multi-level TOC. It works fine on a single level, so I would guess the "pages left in chapter" counter has a bug for multi-level TOC.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert