Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Calibre is renaming my styles

Just recently Calibre started renaming my styles... specifically Flush renaming it to MsoNormal Then renaming MsoNormal to MsoNormal1. I don't think this is causing problems, but I want to know why it's happening. My html has the correct style in the style sheet and the places where these styles occur are correct. It's when I put the HTML into Calibre that the problem happens. I don't normally use the Calibre editor to fix files, but Sigil. If it were just one small style and not MsoNormal I wouldn't worry, I'd just change it in the Calibre or Sigil style sheet.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
calibre should not rename your styles unless you are performing a conversion. If you convert the book, then calibre will make lots of changes that you may not like, and will also recreate the styles. But the elements in the HTML part of the book should be changed as well, to match.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
MsoNormal is a Microsoft Word generated class-name (created when you Save As HTML from Word). Calibre's not responsible for that name--even if you DID perform a conversion.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-24-2014 at 08:49 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Thanks, it just had me worried because just in the past month Calibre's started doing this. I never saw this before. Maybe I'll stop using them, Or maybe I'll go into the Style Sheet on Sigil and change the style names back to what I want... would this work? When I use the epub (converted by Calibre from the HTML, edited in Sigil) through KindlePreview to convert it to the mobi file, everything seems to be fine. The style names are still not what I want but they do the right things.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Thanks, it just had me worried because just in the past month Calibre's started doing this. I never saw this before. Maybe I'll stop using them, Or maybe I'll go into the Style Sheet on Sigil and change the style names back to what I want... would this work? When I use the epub (converted by Calibre from the HTML, edited in Sigil) through KindlePreview to convert it to the mobi file, everything seems to be fine. The style names are still not what I want but they do the right things.
You can name styles anything you want.
But if yo modify the stylesheet, you need to MATCH the change in the documents. IMHO doing so is just waiting for a slip-up to bite.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The short answer is that you can't prevent calibre from renaming classes (though it will never name one MsoNormall) if you do a conversion. It's conversion, after all, not editing. Something entirely new will always be the result of a conversion.

As you've seen however, those changes don't really result (usually) in any difference in how the document renders. You can go back and change the style names if you like, but as theducks mentioned, you'd have to change all the corresponding class attributes in the html as well.

If maintaining existing code (html, css, and class names) is a priority of yours, then you need to build/edit the epubs yourself with an editing program (calibre-edit, Sigil) where you can maintain that level of control--rather than converting.

EDIT: also make sure you're not being fooled by the ORIGINAL_EPUB automatic backup thingie. It wouldn't be the first time it confused someone as to what the real source was for the conversion they thought they were performing.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-01-2014 at 08:48 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, sigil, style sheet