Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
OS 2.5 and contrast

Has anyone else the feeling, that the contrats got worse in OS 2.5?

I seem to have more ghosting, and especially, the black is not as dark as before.

Or am i just seeing things?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:32 AM   #2
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
I got that feeling before updating to 2.5. I had the impression that contrast was low when it was hot outside, as if the pigments won't stay in place if everything is hot.

Naturally, it could also be that the charge of the pigments wears off with time. But I surely hope not within the first two weeks...
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I haven't noticed any difference. What I noticed DOES make a difference is the lighting, flourescent (or daylight) provides a much better contrast, makes the screen "whiter".
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

It could be a temperature thing. It was quite hot, when i noticed it. I also noticed a clouding. Like some parts have better contrast then others.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 AM   #5
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
The contrast of electronik ink does decrease with the time. Unfortunately E-Ink does not give any half life time on their developer forum...

I also got some pretty severe ghosting (white on black)...
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #6
R2D2
Mad Scientist

Maybe they experimented with the refresh waveform file...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Maybe they experimented with the refresh waveform file...
Thats what i was thinking. reduce power to refresh the screen, to get longer battery life. Doesnt look so good, i think.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:42 AM   #8
wiljo
wiljo began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
I also had the feeling, that the contrast was not as good as with 2.4.
Also ghosting seemed more severe.

But since I have "ultimate ghosting" (page never gets cleared anymore) now (I got my ticket number, see here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?t=7068&page=2 )
I dont know, whether my display just showed "rapid ageing".

But it could be a bug introduced in 2.5, maybe my "ultimate ghosting" can also just be fixed by 2.6 . Could be that the driver is "hung in some state".

Well, well, ....
wiljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac

I have been reading now, for quite some time, and its not that hot anymore, and it is still that the contrats is worse than 2.4. I askes iRex about it, and i will post the answer here, if i get one.

(btw, my battery lastet a bit over 8 hours while mostly lying around and reading about 100 pages.)
Old 08-02-2006, 12:36 PM   #10
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Got this answer from irex:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRex
Thanks you for your feedback, we are currently looking into this. Whenever we send a new software release it is possible that we make small alterations to our waveforms to optimize the screen quality also since release 2.5 we now use a higher DPI setting for our display. Instead of 100dpi, the software setting for the display is now 160dpi.

We continue our R&D program to improve the display and this problem will most likely be fixed with the upcoming software releases.

Kind regards,

The iRex Team
Old 08-02-2006, 12:43 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So they changed from 100dpi to 160dpi (dots per inch)? What exactly does that mean? According to the Wiki, the iLiad display has roughly 160ppi (pixels per inch). How does the math work here?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
tribble
iLiad Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
So they changed from 100dpi to 160dpi (dots per inch)? What exactly does that mean? According to the Wiki, the iLiad display has roughly 160ppi (pixels per inch). How does the math work here?
I would assume, that hat has to do with calculation base. the physical maximum is 160 dpi, but images where calculated with 100 dpi.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #13
jamesarm97
jamesarm97 began at the beginning.

Device: SPC-6700, iRex#1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
I would assume, that hat has to do with calculation base. the physical maximum is 160 dpi, but images where calculated with 100 dpi.
If they have been calculating at 100dpi then wouldn't that mean the page image is rendered at 480x640 then stretched to 768x1024? 4.8" (122mm wide) x 100dpi = 480 pixels. 4.8" x 160dpi = 768 pixels. Does this mean the new render dpi of 160 would make the screen images look better or is this already in v2.5 or am I completely off base with this.

- James
jamesarm97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
DrBibber
Iliad geek
DrBibber began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
If you ask me, they are fooling us. I am in the publishing business and from my experience with image reproduction, they are saying nonsense. It has nothing to do with ppi's.

What they say, that the screen has been running at 100 dpi in a low resolution as calculated above. But if you run a screen in a lower resolution, it is getting blurred and that always causes a loss of contrast. Increasing the dpi rates keeps the image sharper and causes higher and better contrast.

Imagine a line in a low resolution. The line goes not straight from white to black, it has a shadowy region, because it is interpolatet with the region around. In higher resolution, this "shadows" get much smaller and you have a more brilliant line. The contrast is better in high resolutions.

For me it sounds that they wanted to say something very technical which we have to accept. Sometimes we do the same with our authors :-D

Playing with "waveforms" whatever that means is maybe more the case here.
DrBibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:22 AM   #15
R2D2
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBibber
Playing with "waveforms" whatever that means is maybe more the case here.
Apparently:

The cells of the display are refreshed in waves. The exact way that this is done, is defined in a waveform file, which is stored somewhere on the iLiad. By changing this file they can change the way the screen is refreshed, resulting in faster or slower screen refresh with better or worser contrast with better or worser ghosting. It seems that the "best" waveform has not been found yet...

So it does make sense what they say, although it would be interesting to have a 2.4 and a 2.5 iLiad side by side. Did anybody buy two of them? ;-)

Last edited by R2D2; 08-03-2006 at 06:51 AM.