Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Thank God!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Mobipocket tends to make a copy of the books and put it someplace else. Quite annoying at times. This is for the Windows reader version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #48
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think my stalwart .LIT and .EPUB conversion crew may be too busy, or feel they've had enough, from the first two books. Does anyone want to try their hand at converting The Infinite Sea to either of those formats?

Jeff
Old 10-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #49
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I think my stalwart .LIT and .EPUB conversion crew may be too busy, or feel they've had enough, from the first two books. Does anyone want to try their hand at converting The Infinite Sea to either of those formats?

Jeff
For the ePub version: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/2985.epub
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #50
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Um...that's interesting. Maybe you can clarify some things about Feedbooks for me. I was, in fact, just browsing the feedbooks site, wondering if I might want to post my books there. But your web site clearly states, in the terms of use, that books posted there are free from copyright and in the public domain:

Quote:
(a) FeedBooks.com: FeedBooks.com (hereinafter also referred to as “The Website”) is a free book hosting website which enables users, after registering and opening an account, to download, store, share and comment on the electronic books proposed for reading. The books are available in different languages The books are free from copyrights as they fall in the public domain.
My web site clearly states that my books, while being offered for free download, remain under copyright protection. I see the following on your site's listing of my books: "(C) Status" which means...well, I don't know what it means. Are you alerting people to this being copyrighted material, or saying that the status is unknown?

I am encouraging people to pass these books around. And when manybooks.net asked permission to post them, I said yes. But I have a problem with their being posted with the implication that they are in the public domain. They most assuredly are not.

Am I misunderstanding?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 PM   #51
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
My web site clearly states that my books, while being offered for free download, remain under copyright protection. I see the following on your site's listing of my books: "(C) Status" which means...well, I don't know what it means. Are you alerting people to this being copyrighted material, or saying that the status is unknown?
Actually that feed books text is wrong. There are ebooks on feedbooks that are copyrighted. All of Doctorow's stuff is copyrighted, however, it is under a Creative Commons copyright that allows for sharing the ebook implicitly.

I think Hadrien should edit this to state that the books are either in the public domain, or have a copyright that allows copying, or permission to copy has been granted by the author.

That last case would be what your ebook would fall under.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #52
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

I just downloaded the epub version from feedbooks and looked at it. The copyright page has been DELETED. So far as I can tell, it is being represented as being in the public domain.

Is this how authors are treated on feedbooks?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #53
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually that feed books text is wrong. There are ebooks on feedbooks that are copyrighted.
If it's wrong, then it needs to be corrected at once.

Quote:
All of Doctorow's stuff is copyrighted, however, it is under a Creative Commons copyright that allows for sharing the ebook implicitly.
I just looked at Doctorow's Little Brother from feedbooks. It retains the Creative Commons notice, but I didn't see a copyright notice in the book. (Hard to tell with Doctorow, because he's got a whole dissertation in there about copyright.)

Quote:
I think Hadrien should edit this to state that the books are either in the public domain, or have a copyright that allows copying, or permission to copy has been granted by the author.

That last case would be what your ebook would fall under.

BOb
I did not grant permission to post it in an altered form--namely, with the copyright notice neatly removed.

(Edited here) As I have since learned, that was a mistake, which has been rectified. Sorry for snapping. I should have given him a chance to check and respond.

Last edited by starrigger; 10-01-2008 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Intemperate remark removed
Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM   #54
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
If it's wrong, then it needs to be corrected at once.

I just looked at Doctorow's Little Brother from feedbooks. It retains the Creative Commons notice, but I didn't see a copyright notice in the book. (Hard to tell with Doctorow, because he's got a whole dissertation in there about copyright.)

I did not grant permission to post it in an altered form--namely, with the copyright notice neatly removed.

I'm pretty pissed about this, in case you can't tell.
Actually a user posted the book and I made sure that the link to the original source remained when I accepted the submission. On each page and each book it is clearly stated that these books are NOT public domain and that the reader should check the copyright status of the book.

I'm sorry that I didn't noticed that the copyright page was missing, I'll put all of your books back into edit mode and correct everything asap.

Edit: From what I can see, it's only missing on volume three.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #55
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
On each page and each book it is clearly stated that these books are NOT public domain and that the reader should check the copyright status of the book.

I'm sorry that I didn't noticed that the copyright page was missing, I'll put all of your books back into edit mode and correct everything asap.
Thank you.

However, if by the above you mean that the book's main display page states that the book is copyrighted, I really don't see it. Are you referring to the copyright symbol and the word "status"? That does not, to me, say that the book is copyrighted. It looks like a boilerplate label for which nothing is filled in--suggesting, if anything, that the book is NOT in copyright. Or that the status is unknown. You might want to revisit your design of how that information is presented.

And you really need to change the terms of use which now state that all books on the site are in the public domain.

I checked your epub version of Neptune Crossing, and found that it does have the copyright page. However, it was from my earliest posting, and is missing the cover artist credit. In fact, it is probably a flawed version in terms of the text, since I only last week managed to get a fully corrected version up.

You have my permission to repost my free downloads, provided that the copyright status is clear, and that the text, including copyright page, is unaltered.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 PM   #56
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Thank you.

However, if by the above you mean that the book's main display page states that the book is copyrighted, I really don't see it. Are you referring to the copyright symbol and the word "status"? That does not, to me, say that the book is copyrighted. It looks like a boilerplate label for which nothing is filled in--suggesting, if anything, that the book is NOT in copyright. Or that the status is unknown. You might want to revisit your design of how that information is presented.

And you really need to change the terms of use which now state that all books on the site are in the public domain.

I checked your epub version of Neptune Crossing, and found that it does have the copyright page. However, it was from my earliest posting, and is missing the cover artist credit. In fact, it is probably a flawed version in terms of the text, since I only last week managed to get a fully corrected version up.

You have my permission to repost my free downloads, provided that the copyright status is clear, and that the text, including copyright page, is unaltered.

Thanks.
You're 100% about the TOS, I'll point this out to the person who wrote it, as obviously this is a mistake.
Concerning the copyright status message it is indeed a generic message right under the logo:
Quote:
Please read the legal notice included in this e-book and/or check the copyright status in your country.
In this case it clearly states to check the copyright statut included in the book, something that Manybooks for example doesn't mention: http://manybooks.net/titles/carverjo...inite_sea.html
I haven't finished the support for CC licenses yet (in Doctorow's case), and for the moment they're only included in the book because I plan on implementing a real support with RDFa embedded in the page, and the license included in the DublinCore metadata of the files. Honestly, I don't think that anyone else will go that far concerning CC licenses in e-books...

As for the missing copyright page, I honestly believe that it is a mistake from the user who uploaded the book and will correct this immediately.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #57
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I'm pretty pissed about this, in case you can't tell.
I was gonna post that Hadrien is a good guy and it is probably an honest mistake. I understand you being upset though I do think you should have waited for a response before assuming malice.

Anyway, I no longer have to post the above because Hadrien has already responded.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #58
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
In this case it clearly states to check the copyright statut included in the book
Well, of course, it conveyed a completely different message when there was no copyright info in the book. But I apologize for getting all hot under the collar without giving you time to respond. I should have checked the other two, to see if it was a systematic omission or an accidental one. Clearly it was accidental on your part, in any case. I appreciate your getting right on it, to correct it.

And again, if you could take the current version of Neptune Crossing from my site, that would give your readers the correct text.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #59
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I do think you should have waited for a response before assuming malice.
Quite right. Sorry about that.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #60
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Well, of course, it conveyed a completely different message when there was no copyright info in the book. But I apologize for getting all hot under the collar without giving you time to respond. I should have checked the other two, to see if it was a systematic omission or an accidental one. Clearly it was accidental on your part, in any case. I appreciate your getting right on it, to correct it.

And again, if you could take the current version of Neptune Crossing from my site, that would give your readers the correct text.

Thanks.
As I pointed out, Feedbooks is actually more of a publishing service than a conversion website.

In this case, I'm not the one who uploaded the text: I've been far too busy working on updating the publishing feature. My goal is to create something easy enough for any author to use, and avoid the exact situation that you're in, where you have to spend a large ammount of time to get your books in all the different formats available.

When the user submitted the text, I noticed that it included the correct source and included the last page where you mention the PayPal donation, but didn't noticed that the first page was missing.

Anyway it's fixed now, and your books are available for all sorts of devices this way, including non-dedicated devices like the iPhone (http://www.feedbooks.com/help/iphone).