Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #601
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
Haha, tbh, I'd probably say that who uses desktops anymore, but there's probably a statistic out there that'll show me I'm mistaken
*Raises hand* I plan to use my desktop for as long as possible. I do not like laptops nor am I interested in a tablet.

As for the Kindle: The more I think about it, the more I want a Kindle Touch.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #602
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I am in no way protesting you calling a 12.1 inch device anything you want.
I could run with this, but best I didn't
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #603
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
My point was further made when I spoke of UMPC Portal and Chippy the owner. I haven't looked at Wikipedia since I have been dealing with UMPCs for 6 years. The "ultra" side.

They are speaking of 5" screens usually, sometimes 7."

Another point is as time passes the designations of devices changes, but the most important point is:

I am in no way protesting you calling a 12.1 inch device anything you want.
My only point was that you were wrong in your initial claim that a notebook is a smaller laptop. That was all I wanted to say so other people do not get fooled by the statement. Maybe another point was that if you start to say that you have worked with computers a long time then make sure that what you claim is correct.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #604
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

The new K4 has brought out some new changes those who are not in the Kindle forum may not be aware about.

Amazon has brought in a Personal documents service with 5GB of free cloud space but as of now all new Kindles bought after Sept 28 will not have a unique Email address. So if you buy a K4 it will share your previous Kindle address and now as it changes even unique email address will be tied together if I am reading the Amazon forum right? It seems now all Pdocs go to all Kindles on your account, regardless of email addresses. You can disable the cloud or choose which Kindle receives Pdocs and which don't in MYK page but the change will be a huge inconvenience for some. So it looks likes a bunch of secondary amazon accounts people are going to have to make just so they don't have to share the service with say a sibling or roommate,
There is a thread or two about this here somewhere, too.

I wish they had stuck with the one-address-per-Kindle. I cannot think of a single problem the new scheme solves for users, or Amazon for that matter, while it does create new problems for users. The less you HAVE TO visit MYK, the better. But they keep adding more reasons you have to go there.

The PDoc feature itself will be great, I think, but the send-to-kindle feature has been diminished in both simplicity and function.

There's no longer a separate @free.kindle.com address as far as I can see. That means that if you have a 3G Kindle, you have to basically set 3G allowance to $0.00 or there's a possibility that send-to-kindle will incur charges.

There are also some restrictions that I don't remember seeing before, such as 'personal use only' and '15 kindle addresses per send-to'. So evidently they are trying to crack down on 3rd party subscriptions that would use that mechanism to bypass Kindle Store (I was not aware that was a problem..).

Anyway this is not the right thread for extended discussion, but it has got my dander up a little bit. Not used to seeing mis-steps by Amazon.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #605
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is a thread or two about this here somewhere, too.

I wish they had stuck with the one-address-per-Kindle. I cannot think of a single problem the new scheme solves for users, or Amazon for that matter, while it does create new problems for users. The less you HAVE TO visit MYK, the better. But they keep adding more reasons you have to go there.

The PDoc feature itself will be great, I think, but the send-to-kindle feature has been diminished in both simplicity and function.

There's no longer a separate @free.kindle.com address as far as I can see. That means that if you have a 3G Kindle, you have to basically set 3G allowance to $0.00 or there's a possibility that send-to-kindle will incur charges.

There are also some restrictions that I don't remember seeing before, such as 'personal use only' and '15 kindle addresses per send-to'. So evidently they are trying to crack down on 3rd party subscriptions that would use that mechanism to bypass Kindle Store (I was not aware that was a problem..).

Anyway this is not the right thread for extended discussion, but it has got my dander up a little bit. Not used to seeing mis-steps by Amazon.
Yeah it has lessen the excitement for me too. I do not like the changes if it's not broke don't fix it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #606
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
My only point was that you were wrong in your initial claim that a notebook is a smaller laptop.
Let me explain why some people think that Laptop is bigger.

When I got my first job after I finished studies, I was issued a laptop. It was *huge* lugable thing, with monochromatic plasma display (640x480, 16 shades of amber), with space for a few full-sized ISA cards inside, 20MB harddisk (again full sized, because there were no 3.5" harddisks at that time), 640KB RAM, 286 processor, no battery (because a battery able to feed that primitive plasma screen, harddisk, and other power-hungry parts would double the weight of notebook, rendering it non-portable [by a single person]). Nobody called those beasts a notebook, because they did not resemble ... a notebook [a paper book with empty pages for taking notes].

Only when later portable computers got smaller, and started to resemble ... notebooks (paper books ...) they started to be called "notebooks".
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #607
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
My only point was that you were wrong in your initial claim that a notebook is a smaller laptop. That was all I wanted to say so other people do not get fooled by the statement. Maybe another point was that if you start to say that you have worked with computers a long time then make sure that what you claim is correct.
tompe,

you mistake my willingness for you to call the device what you wish. I am not saying you were correct or even incorrect. I think that you probably are relying on a statement that wasn't wholly at least correct.

A notebook was/is a smaller laptop in my experience, but that someone (you or not you) might say different is not unexpected in this world of instant experts.
Did you look at the page with the Alienware 11.6" notebooks under the Dell Heading Laptops and Notebooks? Could that mean something?

Did you look at Chippy's "UMPC portal" one of the world's experts on "ultra" portable.

If not that is ok with me.

It is easier in some of these cases just to say I agree that you disagree with me and that is what I tried to convey in a pleasant way, but now I make it plainer.

Enjoy your new "George" device.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM   #608
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think I'll call it George.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JlVqfC8-UI
Hey man. I almost forgot to thank you for your timely erudition on the notebook controversy. "George".

That is what J. Robert Oppenheimer would have called "technically sweet."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #609
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just returned my first K4 for a replacement. Amazon overnighted to me free of charge. My first one had a gray cast to it so much that when it ghost it was white ghosting not the other way around. the CSR said he never heard of one doing that so he gave me another one.

The new one has a light gray background to it. It's much better then the one I returned. Not as light of a background as my K3 which is a creme but pretty darn close.The text is much blacker on the new one as the old one was a dark grey.

So if you get a K4 with a really bad gray cast to it, just exchange it. It's not suppose to look that way.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #610
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
the CSR said he never heard of one doing that so he gave me another one.
that must be their standard line. We got my son a Kindle DXG this summer for his final year of college. After a few weeks of use the letters of the keyboard started to wear off. The CSR person said, she never heard of it doing that. Hmm...

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #611
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
that must be their standard line. We got my son a Kindle DXG this summer for his final year of college. After a few weeks of use the letters of the keyboard started to wear off. The CSR person said, she never heard of it doing that. Hmm...

BOb
I figured it was a common saying but he was so excited this was his first real K4 problem that he made me do all the basic troubleshooting steps which I knew would not fix it, then put me on hold while he probably ran upstairs somewhere asking questions only for me to say when he got back "I already did that."
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #612
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I think it depends on the CSR, becuase when I called with the same problem with my K3 the CSR said that it was a known issue on some K3s and it was immediately replaced. Unfortunately, my replacement was a refub, but it still works great.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #613
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Quote:
I just returned my first K4 for a replacement. Amazon overnighted to me free of charge. My first one had a gray cast to it so much that when it ghost it was white ghosting not the other way around. the CSR said he never heard of one doing that so he gave me another one.

The new one has a light gray background to it. It's much better then the one I returned. Not as light of a background as my K3 which is a creme but pretty darn close.The text is much blacker on the new one as the old one was a dark grey.

So if you get a K4 with a really bad gray cast to it, just exchange it. It's not suppose to look that way.
I wonder how easy it would be to do international returns? I don't really want to buy a K4 NT, find out it has this problem and then have to pay to return it, plus pay to get a new one back again.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #614
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
I wonder how easy it would be to do international returns? I don't really want to buy a K4 NT, find out it has this problem and then have to pay to return it, plus pay to get a new one back again.
I'd suggest contacting CS now, especially if you can use the chat option online, and explain your concerns - letting them know that the ability for an easy/smooth/cost effective return will weigh in your decision as to whether or not you want to buy the K4.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #615
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
We had a kindle DXG that had a problem a few weeks after we bought it. Amazon sent us a new unit and a pre-paid return label.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote