Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #46
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It did not seem like the DLL was corrupt, but rather you had installed a different version of the DLL at some time.
I renamed the old one to vbscript.dll.old just to be safe. But I'm glad it works. And it saves you the trouble of checking for bugs on your side
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 02:53 PM   #47
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Man, this app is great. I just transformed my old LRF files to plain text (with ABC Amber Sony Converter) and then transformed some of them to ePub for easier use.

I've only found a problem so far. Sometimes, after adding al the "Book Author", "Book Title" and "Chapter Title" styles into the text and the converting the file to ePub, some items in the Index or TOC are not properly placed.

For example in a book i have:

Book Author

Book Title

Title (chapter 1)

some text

Title (chapter 2)
and so on...

When opening an ePub file from the sony reader or eBook Library the table of contents in the epub file misses the First Title (Chapter 1) and at the end adds "None" or the "book title", linking to the page where... well... the book title is.

Strange is that when you insert the TOC into the text using the InstTOC option, it does show the first Chapter.

Also, when inserting page jumps, for example, between two paragraphs, these page jumps dont show up on the final ePub file. the page jumps only work before a Chapter Title.
Quote:
I solved the page breaks. Just after a page break, you have to place the cursor over some emty space and the click "Title". This will create a Title field an that way the page break will be recognized.

i'll keep trying to see if i can sort this out

Last edited by gonzule; 10-11-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Link removed - copyrightyed material
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #48
gonzule

Look, i edited the TOC.NX file inside the ePub file and found out this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<ncx xmlns="http://www.daisy.org/z3986/2005/ncx/" version="2005-1" xml:lang="en">
<head>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="91ad85e3-0856-43c3-b495-8e99f2a9abd9"/>
<meta name="dtb:depth" content="2"/>
<meta name="dtb:generator" content="calibre"/>
<meta name="dtb:totalPageCount" content="0"/>
<meta name="dtb:maxPageNumber" content="0"/>
</head>
<docTitle><text>Table of Contents</text></docTitle>
<navMap>
<navPoint id="0b703c04-dd30-42b3-881d-1a60fb7ff9f6" playOrder="2">
<navLabel>
<text>CHAPTER 2</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="content/Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers_split_0.html#calibre_chapter_2"/>
</navPoint>
<navPoint id="e1bf95e8-f7b8-4ba8-aed2-9000673723df" playOrder="3">
<navLabel>
<text>CHAPTER 3</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="content/Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers_split_0.html#calibre_chapter_3"/>
</navPoint>
<navPoint id="580ec8a2-2554-4236-ba2c-873c505c1c8d" playOrder="4">
<navLabel>
<text>CHAPTER 4</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="content/Robert A. Heinlein - Starship Troopers_split_0.html#calibre_chapter_4"/>
</navPoint>
<navPoint id="b43e7e81-529b-44bd-8221-4ab54e7bf193" playOrder="5">
<navLabel>

As you can see, there is no CHAPTER 1 present, even though i did create it (with the TITLE button). Is this a problem with BookCreator or html2epub from Calibre?
Old 10-11-2008, 07:59 PM   #49
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzule View Post
Man, this app is great. <snip>..
Glad you find the program helpful

I guess I should have mentioned in the release notes Calibre's html2epub is still experimental, which also means BookCreator's ePUB creation is also experimental since relies on html2epub to create ePBUBs.

Kovid has been doing a bang up job, once html2epub stabilizes I'll release an update.

Quote:
I've only found a problem so far. Sometimes, after adding al the "Book Author", "Book Title" and "Chapter Title" styles into the text and the converting the file to ePub, some items in the Index or TOC are not properly placed.
I've only seen this problem when importing HTML into BookCreator where the Chapter titles have Links around the text. However you do mention that you exported the data striaght to plain text. Do you have a sample doc file you can post so I can look at the problem.

Also the html is always saved at to C:\Document Settings\<your username>\temp\BookCreator. Take a look at that html and see how the Chapter 1 syntax looks like.

Quote:
Also, when inserting page jumps, for example, between two paragraphs, these page jumps dont show up on the final ePub file. the page jumps only work before a Chapter Title.
I'm not familiar with a page jump? Do you mean page breaks? If so unfortunately calibre ignores page breaks and only inserts them when it detects a new chapter.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM   #50
gonzule

Hi, thanks for the help.

Yeah, by page jumps y mean "page breaks" (I mentally translated it literally from spanish, i dont have MSWord in english).

Like i posted later, you can solve this by inserting a "blank2 title right after the page break, that way the application thinks its a new chapter and recognizes the page break. The good thing is that it does NOT add that blank title to your TOC, so it wont mess it up.

I'll contact you trough private message to send you the sample doc file. Meanwhile i'll tke a look at the html file. I had found them before but didnt actually look at them.
Advert
Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #51
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice catch. I think this is a defect in calibre, I'll talk to Kovid about it, I think this can be reporduce with a simple doc.

There is a workaround. If you insert a Table of content after the title page the chapters show up just fine. Since this is something I always do I never experience this probelm

=X=
Old 10-12-2008, 01:38 AM   #52
gonzule

Yeah, adding the table of contents after the title/author fixes the problem correctly. I just have to start adding them to my books. i wasnt using it because the sony reader has an option to show you the TOC even when you dont have it created inside the ebook pages.

Its not that important anyway, i'm not going to die if it's not right, but i like my books very much and i'm a little perfectionist, haha

Last edited by gonzule; 10-12-2008 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #53
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
can something like this be created for openoffice?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That is great. I'll look into porting the BC tool. While I've used OO extensively, I have zero experience writing macros or GUI so it will be quite a steep learning curve.

=X=
But if you exclude using Word, you'll be leaving out people who do not use Open Office. The best solution is to allow the use of either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #55
gonzule

well, the bookcreator's code is viewable by anybody, you just have to edit the macros, maybe somebody with experience can port it to openoffice
Old 10-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #56
=X=
Wizard

I've looked into OOo and it is very different from Word. There does not seem to be any opportunity for code reuse. BC macros heavly called VBA and Win32 API. These do not exist in OOo.

Creating a plugin for OOo is a bit more involved than Word and will require more effort than it took for Word. However the final product will be much better than the Word Equivalent.

As of late I am pressed for time and cannot create a new tool from scratch, at the moment. However if there is somebody with OOo development experience or is willing to learn, it is not hard. I'd be willing to collaborate with them to create a BookCreator Tool in OOo. OOo supports Java/JavaScript/Python so the gambit is much.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-20-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #57
=X=
Wizard

BookCreator v2.5.2 bug fix release

Fixed ePUB support

Added "Tag Chapter..." in the Auto Chapter drop down menu. There are books where the authors have written their chapters in lower case. This feature tags those text as potential chapters.

Added YesAll/Yes/No/Cancel dialog boxes to all of the features except the word wrap.

Fixed issues with auto chapter and italic auto search/replace

=X=
Attached Files
File Type: zip BookCreator_v2.5.2.zip (226.1 KB, 1008 views)
Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #58
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I'm willing to learn, but not having much experience in any programming language (apart from copying the 'hello world' application.

Then I need to first know something about ebook formats..
That's all taking up a lot of time, though I'm willing to learn..

If there's a way to easily learn how to create something like that, I'd do it.
I have time,however not enough time and know how to learn python. (tried it before,and had to give up on it).
Doing macro's in office was way easier.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #59
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
I've looked into OOo and it is very different from Word. There does not seem to be any opportunity for code reuse. =X=
yes I agree - unless you can find an addon for visual basic, which I doubt you'll find - i don't use open office but i did notice there is an addon tool for c++ for open office, you might find developers more versed in c++ willing to take up the challenge

btw word uses visual basic for applications (VBA) which is a cut down version of visual basic - which we fondly use to call a poor mans version of c back in the day. Your not stuck to just the win32 api, just declare the externals (api/dll) in the header section and you can use virtually any library.
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #60
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I'm willing to learn, but not having much experience in any programming language (apart from copying the 'hello world' application.

Then I need to first know something about ebook formats..
That's all taking up a lot of time, though I'm willing to learn..

If there's a way to easily learn how to create something like that, I'd do it.
I have time,however not enough time and know how to learn python. (tried it before,and had to give up on it).
Doing macro's in office was way easier.
Well I was looking at a plug in so that we would be able to submit it to the Extension libarary. Also plugins have other advantages from a design stand point.

I think with your experience it would be best if we use macros and templates much like BookCreator for Word is designed.
Okay so you get to decide what language to use. BASIC or JavaScript.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron101 View Post
yes I agree - unless you can find an addon for visual basic, which I doubt you'll find - i don't use open office but i did notice there is an addon tool for c++ for open office, you might find developers more versed in c++ willing to take up the challenge

btw word uses visual basic for applications (VBA) which is a cut down version of visual basic - which we fondly use to call a poor mans version of c back in the day. Your not stuck to just the win32 api, just declare the externals (api/dll) in the header section and you can use virtually any library.
OOo does support BASIC nativley. So it's not the syntax that cannot be reused its the Word libraries that do not exist in OOo.

=X=