Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
logie072
logie072 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Macbook air
Arrow Epub for Nook vs Ipad (ibooks)

Hello, I am new in ebook conversion I just what to clarify the following:

- Is there a difference between Apple Ipad Epub vs B&N Nook Epub. Regards in formatting, codes and validation requirement.
- Or when an epub that opens in Ipad will definitely open/load in Nook?

I am a partner of publishers / authors and would like to know for my future preferences

Last edited by logie072; 03-09-2011 at 08:50 AM.
logie072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

B&N, Sony, and iBooks all use ePubs, as do others, which are essentially the same as far as the ePub structure goes. However, they each use their own unique DRM (digital rights management). Therefore you cannot buy an ePub from one of those stores and easily view it on the device from a different company unless two of the companies use Adobe ADE.

This is a major pain to those of us who read and would like to be able to buy an ePub from any store and then read it on any device that supports ePubs. However, from a publisher's perspective they would develop the ePub then simply attach the appropriate DRM for each store via the development tools they use.

BTW, ePubs are basically a set of HTML files with a CSS stylesheet that are compressed into a single file. They use a sub-set of basic HTML. If you use basic HTML and clean, standard HTML your books will most likely look okay. I would avoid using tables as they don't work well on small eBook readers. I would also avoid using too many styles. In other words, do not call out a specific font, font type, font size, text color, overall margin sizes, etc. It is best to let the reader (person reading) set these styles to their own tastes using their ePub reader device.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-09-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
B&N, Sony, and iBooks all use ePubs, as do others, which are essentially the same as far as the ePub structure goes. However, they each use their own unique DRM (digital rights management). Therefore you cannot buy an ePub from one of those stores and easily view it on the device from a different company unless two of the companies use Adobe ADE.
Please note that B&N does support Adobe ADE on their devices as well as their own DRM - which means that Nooks can read Sony books relatively easily. You just need to use something other than the Sony software to transfer the book to the device.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote