Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Eastlondonboy
Banned
Eastlondonboy doesn't litterEastlondonboy doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Will Kindle ever do a touch-screen

facility? It seems pretty counter-intuitive to use the arrows and the cursor to move around the screen. Is it only a matter of time before they release a Kindle with touch screen functionality?

Last edited by Eastlondonboy; 03-11-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Eastlondonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Eastlondonboy
Banned

Oh, I've just seen that this question has already been asked and debated. Doh!
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
This is a popular topic, yeah.

The main issues with touch screen e-ink is maintenance (dust between the two layers, etc) and readability. The Kindle is, right now, still a "DEDICATED" e-reader, so readability and convenience are probably the two most important factors. Touch screens are counter-intuitive, in that regard.

Last edited by dorino; 11-22-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: is -> are
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #4
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post

The main issues with touch screen e-ink is maintenance (dust between the two layers, etc) and readability. The Kindle is, right now, still a "DEDICATED" e-reader, so readability and convenience are probably the two most important factors. Touch screens are counter-intuitive, in that regard.
Really? I haven't noticed any dust between layers of my 650's screen, nor do I find there to be any greater need to maintain it dust free than is the case with any other surface on which dust settles. As I understand it, the readability of the current generation Kindle and the three Sony devices is essentially the same. I find my 650's touch screen is perfectly ergonomic in use and think I would find having to use a keyboard counter-intuitive.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:33 AM   #5
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Agree. I have both a Kindle and a 650 and though I love the Kindle for many reasons the form is really beginning to look outdated. The 650 is IMO less clunky to use.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Ialways thoght the kindle has used outdated hardware. We now 3d tvs, phones that can do anything and with the kindle you are still using a joystick or a directional pad?
Really?

Last edited by boswd; 11-23-2010 at 08:32 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Ialways thoght the kindle has used outdated hardware. We now 3d tvs, phones that can do anything and with the kindle you are still using a joystick or a directional pad?
Really?
Amazon could really kick things up a notch with thought-driven commands. You'd just think "Kindle, turn to location 500" or "Kindle, find the passage where the dude realizes joy is found in family relationships". The Kindle would do it!

D-pads are for suckers. Thought commands are the future.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think that Sony's new e-readers show that a touch screen can be made for an e-reader that does not lead to massive glare. With the recent price drops on the Sony's, it could also be that the touch screen technology is moving into a price point that Amazon might be more willing to consider a touch screen.

Bezos's objection, which means Amazon's objection, to the touch screen was that it lead to glare on the screen and interferred with the ability to read a book easily. So who knows, maybe the K4 will have a touch screen.

I would be fine with that as long as it also has the directional pad and buttons because I don't like touch screens. The finger prints on my cell phone drive me crazy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon did buy a company that had developed some new touch screen technology. No idea about how long it will take to make it to a Kindle.

Edit: Link to story.

Quote:
One fairly big news item to hit today involves Amazon’s purchase of Touchco, a 6-person startup company with a new multitouch-capable, completely transparent touch-screen overlay technology.

Last edited by daffy4u; 11-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #10
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
a joystick or a directional pad?
Not even that, it's actually just the good old four arrow keys
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm certain that they will have a touchscreen in the future, probably the next one. For one thing, it's the only way to make the form factor smaller now.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Lack of touchscreen has prevented me from buying another Kindle. I was hoping they offered one this holiday season.

Want something to supplement my NOOKcolor but it must be touch. Considering the Sony 650 to replace my 900, but would prefer a Kindle (many ebooks I'm interested in only available in Kindle / dreaded Topaz format). May have to wait out another year.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post

The new Sony's don't have 2 layers. The touch "screen" is actually a series of IR beams that are sent from the side and top of the screen. You are supposed to be able to use a feather and have it work, because the amount of pressure is irrelevant, only breaking the beam matters.

As a result there is only one layer and no effect on readability. My PRS-650 has a beautiful clear screen with no glare. The screen's mildly rough texture even seems to prevent most fingerprints. I can see a few if I angle the screen just right into a light source, but otherwise they aren't visible, not like the tons on my iPad.

I find a touch screen intuitive, not counter-intuitive. For me they're the easiest way to turn the page and nothing beats double tapping on a word to look it up in the dictionary.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
The new Sony's don't have 2 layers. The touch "screen" is actually a series of IR beams that are sent from the side and top of the screen. You are supposed to be able to use a feather and have it work, because the amount of pressure is irrelevant, only breaking the beam matters.

As a result there is only one layer and no effect on readability. My PRS-650 has a beautiful clear screen with no glare. The screen's mildly rough texture even seems to prevent most fingerprints. I can see a few if I angle the screen just right into a light source, but otherwise they aren't visible, not like the tons on my iPad.

I find a touch screen intuitive, not counter-intuitive. For me they're the easiest way to turn the page and nothing beats double tapping on a word to look it up in the dictionary.

-Marcy
I concur. What's more, for me, having a dozen such dictionaries is bliss!
  1. New Oxford American Dictionary
  2. Oxford Dictionary of English
  3. Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary (EN-FR)
  4. Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary (FR-EN)
  5. Collins English-German Dictionary
  6. Collins German-English Dictionary
  7. Oxford Spanish Dictionary (EN-SP)
  8. Oxford Spanish Dictionary (SP-EN)
  9. Collins English-Italian Dictionary
  10. Collins Italian-English Dictionary
  11. Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands
  12. Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Nederlands-Engels

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #15
Eastlondonboy
Banned

I'm hoping if I keep touching my Kindle it'll develop artificial intelligence and become touch screen.