Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Browser Options on Rooted NC

On my phone I use Opera Mini and XScope (because a few sites don't seem to work properly on Opera).

Over the last three days I downloaded and tested Opera Mini, XScope, Dolphin HD, and Skyfire--all of which I've also tested before on my phone.

The ones I ended up with on my NC are Opera Mini for simple browsing, alternating with Dolphin HD.

Here are my initial experiences.*

Skyfire. Just criminally slow. Ugh. The selling point of Skyfire compared to other browsers is the integrated Flash function but it was just too slow for me to care.

Dolphin HD. The newest version is incredibly fast for a full-featured browser. It was fast enough that I didn't feel the need to try the new Dolphin Mini. I liked how you could swipe to unhide, on the lefthand side, your list of frequently used bookmarks, so they're easily on hand. You also swipe to unhide, on the right, a toolbar. When you open a new tab, it initially displays a list of your recently closed tabs too, which is nice. It contains, like the old Dolphin, options for gesture functions. It also now allows you to create bookmark folders so you don't have a jumble of bookmarks like in the old Dolphin. However, it seems like everything takes multiple steps, including copying text. It's still light-years better than the old Dolphin, though, and I think for anyone who likes a feature-packed browser with a bit of a learning curve it's the way to go.

XScope. Not sure if it's just an issue with the NC, because I never have these kinds of problems on my phone. For some reason, the menu option just kept disappearing ant it was impossible to do basic things, such as bookmarking, without them.

Opera Mini seems to work closest to how it works on my phone. I love the elegant appearance, and I haven't had any problems bookmarking or anything else. The pinch-zoom isn't as good as Dolphin's, though; it functions like its tap-zoom, where it seems like it only has two levels of zoom (fully out and fully zoomed). Opera Mini is more intuitive, I think, than Dolphin (though not without its own learning curve), but I can actually imagine a time when I just use Dolphin HD.

Anyway, so those are my experiences thus far. I'm hoping Firefox Mobile (aka Fennec) becomes widely available soon to see how it compares.

*I don't know how much of my issues were user error, but I was also frustrated by not being able to find decent user instructions when I encountered problems so I gave up. I figure if my desktop browsers are so intuitive I shouldn't have to go through contortions to figure things out on my mobile browsers. (Plus, I've never understood what these small-company mobile browsers can't seem to create decent user manuals?) Okay, end of rant.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
...I shouldn't have to go through contortions to figure things out on my mobile browsers...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Firefox is available here if you wanna give it a shot: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/beta/
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Firefox for Android Beta is actually available from the Android Market.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I really like Dolphin Mini. It blows away HD in terms of speed but on the NC I lose Pinch to zoom
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
I think I'll wait on Firefox. The beta version doesn't seem to be getting good enough reviews.
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Thanks for the reviews.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote