Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #16
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Which hack is writing this one for him?
James Patterson?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #17
raiderkilo
Connoisseur
raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.raiderkilo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: PRS-350 "PRS+"
The old series are OK
raiderkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #18
billesmont
Nameless Being

Chalk me up as another one who drifted away from Clancy when he started team writing. I occasionally re-read his old stuff but I haven't touched the new stuff in probably 10 years.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:57 AM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I simply refuse to pay that much for a book, I don't care who wrote it.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I'm like a lot here, I bought all the Clancy books as hardbacks when they first came out, up to a point (I would have to go back and look to see the last one I bought), but like a lot of authors, he just ran out of ideas that I found interesting. I did buy several of the older books when they came out in ebooks a while back, but only up through Clear and Present Danger. Of the later books, I thought that Rainbox Six was a pretty decent book, though not great. The rest I have no interest in reading again.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #21
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Which hack is writing this one for him?
Dan Brown?
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My favourite Clancy book was "Red Storm Rising" - about a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. I was never particularly a fan of his "Ryan" books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #23
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Not at that price -especially not once I saw it appears to be co-authored. I was really excited when it was first announced but then I saw the price and went

Its a Penguin book. My guess is it will be on the Library Overdrive.
Me, too. I was really excited until I saw it was co-authored. For some reason I never bother with authors who do that. Patterson drives me up the wall. I've never read anything by him but it's obvious at this point he's not really writing the books anymore.

This just tells me Clancy won't be actually writing his new one coming out in December and that he basically just gave a new author a blessing to continue the series without him later on. I'll probably read reviews (something I don't put much stock in) and see if it "feels" like a Clancy book or if it feels more like a NetForce book (which should be avoided).
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
Me, too. I was really excited until I saw it was co-authored. For some reason I never bother with authors who do that. Patterson drives me up the wall. I've never read anything by him but it's obvious at this point he's not really writing the books anymore.

This just tells me Clancy won't be actually writing his new one coming out in December and that he basically just gave a new author a blessing to continue the series without him later on. I'll probably read reviews (something I don't put much stock in) and see if it "feels" like a Clancy book or if it feels more like a NetForce book (which should be avoided).
I wouldn't necessarily be so sure that it'll be a stinker. As I said in an earlier post, my favourite Clancy book is "Red Storm Rising", and that was co-authored. It's a great book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #25
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I never knew Red Storm Rising was co-authored. My book only lists Tom Clancy on the front cover.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
Cliff Ball
Zealot
Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cliff Ball ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I read a few of the Jack Ryan novels, and I stopped with the last one, I think it's Red Rabbit. Sometimes, I wonder if some terrorist out there read Debt of Honor and decided to see if they couldn't fly a jumbo jet into the Capital, but, thankfully that didn't happen.
Cliff Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #27
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ball View Post
Sometimes, I wonder if some terrorist out there read Debt of Honor and decided to see if they couldn't fly a jumbo jet into the Capital, but, thankfully that didn't happen.
One of those things that I always wonder about: when I see "Don't talk about that, a bad guy might get ideas" I have to wonder why people think that criminals aren't as good at crime, and terrorists aren't as good at terror, as random writers who have never done more than read about either one. You wouldn't expect a successful bank robber to be automatically able to write a better novel than a professional novelist, so why does there seem to be the assumption that a novelist can plan a better crime than a professional criminal? I may just be cynical here, but I'm wondering if there isn't a certain element of arrogance on the writers' side. That's the only way "I can write a book, so I must be able to plan a crime" seems to compute.

Perhaps I think too optimistically of the IQ of the human race, but I just can't see all those criminals sitting around waiting for writers to think up crimes for them to commit; I suspect they can figure out how to do bad things without any help at all.

I know it doesn't do any good for the "world's dumbest criminal" types -- the kind who make the news in ridiculous ways. They have, after all, an entire world full of more successful, and much more competent criminals, whose crimes are written up in detail in the newspapers, and they still do painfully stupid things. If they can't learn from the real exploits of real fellow criminals how not to be idiots, novels aren't going to help them any; they've already demonstrated an unwillingness or inability to learn.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #28
clockworkzombie
Connoisseur
clockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to beholdclockworkzombie is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I never knew Red Storm Rising was co-authored. My book only lists Tom Clancy on the front cover.
Larry Bond is the co author. Larry created the harpoon modern naval warfare miniature rules.

This is probably where you get the sea battle details.
clockworkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 AM   #29
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My favourite Clancy book was "Red Storm Rising" - about a Soviet invasion of Western Europe. I was never particularly a fan of his "Ryan" books.
I really liked Red Storm Rising, although I also liked the Ryan books at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworkzombie View Post
Larry Bond is the co author. Larry created the harpoon modern naval warfare miniature rules.

This is probably where you get the sea battle details.
Larry Bond has also written some books of his own. I've read Red Phoenix (co-authored by Patrick Larkin, though only Larry Bond is mentioned on the cover), and really enjoyed it. He's written others, but I never got around to reading them.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Finished the rereading of Teeth of the Tiger. Kind of a light weight compared to the best of the earlier works. Enjoyed it, though.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote