Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
PhAzE
PhAzE began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Web Interface

I was curious if it's possible to run Calibre on a linux system that is CLI only?

Are there any plans in the future to have the User Interface converted to a web based interface? That would allow calibre to run on an gui-less OS also while providing access to the UI via web page.
PhAzE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
see the calibredb command-line interface to the library database, and ebook-convert for the conversion pipeline.

You can also use "calibre-debug -c /path/to/script.py" to run python scripts in an environment that has the calibre codebase available for import.

It is on the long-term TODO list to create some kind of multi-user mode, I assume it will be usable over HTTP.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Moderator Notice
Please read the stickies in each forum before posting.
Development forum is not for general user questions.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
ericvb69
ericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blueericvb69 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhAzE View Post
I was curious if it's possible to run Calibre on a linux system that is CLI only?

Are there any plans in the future to have the User Interface converted to a web based interface? That would allow calibre to run on an gui-less OS also while providing access to the UI via web page.
I'm also looking for a way of doing this. I run a Linux server for an intranet and I'd like to share my library by running calibre on that server without having to install all the GUI-related stuff (calibre pulls around 300MB dependencies and that seems overkilled just to have a http server for accessing the books database).
ericvb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvb69 View Post
I'm also looking for a way of doing this. I run a Linux server for an intranet and I'd like to share my library by running calibre on that server without having to install all the GUI-related stuff (calibre pulls around 300MB dependencies and that seems overkilled just to have a http server for accessing the books database).
Look at COPS (it has a thread in the Related Tools subforum). Lightweight (it handles my 116K library without a hitch on a little Synology DS213j NAS) and does the job fine.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvb69 View Post
Ditto to COPS or other tools.

calibre depends on its dependencies, there is no way around it. On the other hand, disk space is pretty cheap nowadays, and calibre has a headless Qt5 plugin that greatly reduces the server-only memory usage and eliminating the need for xvfb (new since calibre v2.x).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote