Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #46
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The Microsoft .NET Framework version 2.0 (x86) redistributable package installs the .NET Framework runtime and associated files required to run applications developed to target the .NET Framework v2.0.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #47
rtype
Enthusiast
rtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litterrtype doesn't litter

Device: none
The Program is a .net program (a program development framework supplied by microsoft) the framework comes as standard on the later versions of windows.

If you don't have it on your version of windows you can use windows update to install it.

or you can get it from here (better to get from win update)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #48
Westlyn
Enthusiast
Westlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile and Android
Conversion performance

Can anyone tell me what sort of conversion speed I should be getting?

I've seen no complaints re really slow conversion times in the forum but....

I'm using v1.3.6 and finding that a 1.5 Megabyte .IMP file is taking up to 8 hours to generate the html file. I see similar times on my dual core at work and my single core machine at home.

By comparison the deimp.exe tool that only produces text files runs in a minute or less although I realise that it has less to do since it's not rebuilding the html.

Am I doing something wrong, or is that the sort of conversion time I should be expecting? Is there anything I can do to speed that conversion up a bit?
Westlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #49
rtype
Enthusiast

I've only converted smaller files, converts them quickly, I did however spot a possible performance issue, I posted a fix in post #39.

This brought small file conversion for me from a minute or two to near instant. So it might help.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #50
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ebookwise, sony
Conversion Speed

I attached the compile that is just a little slower than deimp but still less than 2 minutes on a 2Mb file.
Please let me know if the attached zip fixes your issue.

Michael
Attached Files
File Type: zip ConvertIMPGUI.zip (127.1 KB, 704 views)
mscott161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #51
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscott161 View Post
I attached the compile that is just a little slower than deimp but still less than 2 minutes on a 2Mb file.

Michael
Thanks for uploading a new version. I'll give it a whirl and report back though it could be a while. I've pretty well finished converting the IMPs and didn't keep them since I had the html. Maybe I'll have to convert the html back to IMP and then try to convert it back to html.....
Old 07-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #52
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlyn View Post
I've pretty well finished converting the IMPs and didn't keep them
Or you may just want to try any of the .imp ebooks uploaded here.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #53
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Or you may just want to try any of the .imp ebooks uploaded here.

Well yes - hadn't found this resource before so thanks for making me aware. Will certainly allow me to find a couple of IMPs to test convert.

Of course, they may be better made that the ones I was converting before so the test may not really prove anything other than the new converter version is fast on the imps I downloaded to test with.

Found a couple of epubs, in the library, I want to read as well (which was where I'm heading with my converted IMPs) so a double benefit.

Thanks to all for the tool and advice.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #54
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:

Michael
OK, didn't have the original problem imp file to hand but as per suggestion in another reply downloaded some imps from the book library here.

Using your attached version (which by the way says v1.1.7 in the about dialog) I get the following:

Agent to the Stars = 812Kb took 17 minutes
Four by Laumer = 621Kb took 8 minutes
Accelerando = 769Kb took 21 minutes

So not the 2 minutes per 2 MB sadly.

These timings running on a Dualcore 2GHz Laptop with 3Gb Ram in Vista

I've just checked my recycle bin and actually found one of the original problem files so I'll post timings for that tomorrow. I'll also try and post matching timings for deimp just for comparison.

Time is not too much of an issue if I can convert an imp file in 10 mins or so but many hours did seem a bit too long to be practical - hence me wondering if I was doing something wrong.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #55
rtype
Enthusiast

I converted Four by Laumer on my machine with version 1.1.7 as linked to on the first post of this thread.

It took 2mins on my machine, core2duo e8200 2.67

I made the tweak refered to in post #39 and it converted nearly instantly.

I've attached the exe in case it helps.

Just to clarify what I did was click on the imp file in the library view, click on the general tab and then from the tools menu click Create HTML.
Attached Files
File Type: zip convert.zip (264.1 KB, 696 views)
Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #56
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtype View Post
I converted Four by Laumer on my machine with version 1.1.7 as linked to on the first post of this thread.

It took 2mins on my machine, core2duo e8200 2.67

I made the tweak refered to in post #39 and it converted nearly instantly.

I've attached the exe in case it helps.

Just to clarify what I did was click on the imp file in the library view, click on the general tab and then from the tools menu click Create HTML.
Yes that's exactly the steps I take to create a HTML from the IMP file.

Converting the Laumer book wasn't instant for me sadly -took about 3 mins.

As additional info I also tried converting my original 2453 kb IMP file with the gui; after 4.5 hours, I have just used task manager to kill the executable since there was no sign of an output.

Running the same file though DEIMP produced a text file in about 30 seconds.

Note this particular IMP file doesn't generate any image files; ie it is all text whereas many of the other IMP files I've tested contain images that will reduce the amount of Ks used by the text content, I guess. So this will be a much bigger processing challenge for the converter as a large, text content only, file.

Another notable thing about this file is that DEIMP created an output file with unix linefeed only end of lines rather than the more normal CRLF output I've seen from some of the other IMPs I've converted.

So as a hypothesis, could the GUI converter be stumbling over the unix line endings and treating the whole text as a single (enormous) line of text as opposed to hundreds of much shorter lines of text? Would that slow the html rebuild process?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #57
mscott161
Enthusiast
mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mscott161 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Westlyn,

I would like to have a copy of the imp file you are having problems with so that I may make corrections to the program if needed. I did not change the about box version number. If I make a change to the application again I will change the version and make sure that the first post has the correct version in it.

Just on a side note if you have an android phone I have written a IMP Reader for it. You can download the source or the adk from droidimpreader.codeplex.com

Michael
Old 08-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #58
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Westlyn,

I would like to have a copy of the imp file you are having problems with so that I may make corrections to the program if needed. I did not change the about box version number. If I make a change to the application again I will change the version and make sure that the first post has the correct version in it.

Just on a side note if you have an android phone I have written a IMP Reader for it. You can download the source or the adk from droidimpreader.codeplex.com

Michael
Sorry to be slow replying - just got back from holiday.

Sadly, I don't have an android phone just a relatively ancient HTC Prophet running WinMobile v5. But I can use Freda to read epubs and Tiny reader to read .lit and .pdb.

Appreciate your offer to look at the file but I'm not too sure about uploading the file since, to be honest, I can't be too sure of it's copyrite status given that I have no idea where I orginally got it from. I'd hate to break any forum rules.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #59
mscott161
Enthusiast

Westlyn,

No problem on the IMP file. I have ran through all 1000 IMP books I have al rangeing in size. Let me know if you are still having problems. If you want to email me the file, I do not believe it would break forum rules and since I will not be using the file for anything but testing, it will not break the copyright. It is up to you.

Michael
Old 08-30-2010, 12:09 PM   #60
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Westlyn,

No problem on the IMP file. I have ran through all 1000 IMP books I have al rangeing in size. Let me know if you are still having problems. If you want to email me the file, I do not believe it would break forum rules and since I will not be using the file for anything but testing, it will not break the copyright. It is up to you.

Michael
I find that any .IMP more than about 100k takes an ever increasing time eg 400Kb takes about 20 minutes but 1500K takes about 4 hours and a 2500Kb IMP hadn't produced html after 7 or 8 hours, so there seems to be an exponential-like increase in processing time as the file size increases.

IMP_DUMP seems to be much less size affected with the same 1500Kb file taking less than 30 seconds to output the txt file.

The file that takes 4 hours also generates a .html file where the text is unreadable but the imp_dump .txt file is readable

eg Output html in browser from ConvertIMPGUI:

Code:
Ä  P) M a o “ % 
…s C i’ +' · 

è 7 < F q F k s ™¹, s Á™ ™ K ˆ 

7t 7 ™ ™ K r ¡ Ø sf aÁ™ ]4c q ‘{ Í£ ±c’ F\2 Ø { ^ cv  Û K
but the imp_dump output is readable; but is output with unix not windows line end termination. My highlighting of the line end chars.

Code:
"LF"PROLOGUE "LF"	"LF"I have a story to tell you. It has many beginnings, and perhaps one ending. Perhaps not. Beginnings and endings are contingent things anyway; inventions, devices. Where does any story really begin? There is always context, always an encompassingly greater epic, always something before the described events, unless we are to start every story with, 'BANG! Expand! Sssss . . .', then itemise the whole subsequent history of the universe before settling down, at last, to the particular tale in question. Similarly, no ending is final, unless it is the end of all things . . . "LF"Nevertheless
I must be being dense today but I couldn't see how to attach a file to a private email in this forum. So bear with me until I find out how.

I'll send you a zip file with the .imp, the .html and .txt output from ConvertIMPGUI and IPM_dump. Hopefully that would make it easier to track down the issue. I'm assuming the massive performance hit is maybe related to the output formatting issue.

Thanks again for being willing to take a look