Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #91
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The thing is, you can fairly easily reset the JBL to factory settings and install the current
firmware on the device.

You should remove any SD card from your JBL and connect the USB cable to backup your
JBL's internal memory, to a folder on your PC's hard drive.

Reformatting the JBL's internal memory to FAT32 is a good idea and running ChkDsk on it
while you have the JBL connected to your PC with the USB cable is a good idea as well.

If you can get to the logo screen then you should be able to do this:

First if you only have one SD card then you will want to back it up to a folder on your
PC's hard drive.

Format an SD card for use during the update of the firmware. (I still use FAT16 for this
although I understand that FAT32 works as well.) The formatting will insure a clean card
and root directory into which the three update folders go.

Be sure to use a firmware update with all three folders to make the SD card. Insert the
SD card into the JBL.

Make sure the USB cable is not connected at this point.

Then you go to the Diagnostics Menu built into the JBL, it is here that you can do the
#13 - Reflash NOR and the #7 - restore factory defaults

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons. They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu". When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off". Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen. It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can reflash the NOR Memory and reset the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

Now you can update the firmware as you normally would.

Follow all directions and don't play with any settings you don't understand.

This procedure should fix any firmware related problem. If you have a valid download
of valid firmware and this doesn't fix the problem then it is a hardware issue.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #92
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

I just upgraded the firmware about a week ago, after I decided that maybe it was worth seeing the changes. I was hoping it wouldn't destroy the bond I have with my jbl, but gad after a few days of being ok, all hell broke loose and the glitches started pouring in! My jbl either wouldn't go off, or wouldn't come on. After a bunch of resets, I went back to the default setting. It seems to be ok, but the recent reads section is always empty despite how many books I read. Tho I like the changes that the 16e version of the software have brought... esp in pdfs is there anythng else I can do? The 16e is still on there.
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #93
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Ken- thanks for that 16 item screen procedure. I was unaware of this and have no clue how you ever discovered it. Before we are done, we will know this device like a Marine reassembling an M-14 rifle with a pillowcase over his head.

Last edited by Ron46; 10-05-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #94
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
Ken- thanks for that 16 item screen procedure. I was unaware of this and have no clue how you ever discovered it. Before we are done, we will know this device like a Marine reassembling an M-14 rifle with a pillowcase over his head.
I think it was "Kralik" who pointed it out, first. There is a certain amount of
common practice in the nature of the procedures and utilities that work with
all the ARM 9 based embedded Linux devices. I used to do some fiddling with
the firmware for my ARM 9 based PDA (a MIO P550) and had to look into how
that was implemented.

An M-14 wouldn't be so bad, it's an M-1 Thumb that you want to avoid.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #95
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Hi,

I just upgraded the firmware about a week ago, after I decided that maybe it was worth seeing the changes. I was hoping it wouldn't destroy the bond I have with my jbl, but gad after a few days of being ok, all hell broke loose and the glitches started pouring in! My jbl either wouldn't go off, or wouldn't come on. After a bunch of resets, I went back to the default setting. It seems to be ok, but the recent reads section is always empty despite how many books I read. Tho I like the changes that the 16e version of the software have brought... esp in pdfs is there anythng else I can do? The 16e is still on there.
So you are saying that you do not have the "glitches" anymore? That "it
seems to be OK"? Is the "Recent Reads" not working your only problem, now?
( You know I think I've seen that as well, after a battery change but for me
it always shows the book I was reading prior to the current one.)

I don't quite understand -"is there anythng else I can do?". For what? the
Recent Reads? You could post over at the official Ectaco Forum in the
"jetBooks" section.
http://www.ectaco.com/forums/show/185.page

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #96
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Hi,

I'm sorry. It's alot of the stuff I mentioned is still happening. Is there anyway, I can like downgrade or remove the 16e upgrade? My jbl hasn't been the same since the upgrade. I have checked the ectaco site. Hope they can help. Thanks!
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #97
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Hi,

I'm sorry. It's alot of the stuff I mentioned is still happening. Is there anyway, I can like downgrade or remove the 16e upgrade? My jbl hasn't been the same since the upgrade. I have checked the ectaco site. Hope they can help. Thanks!
It might be possible to help you, if you could be exact about what problem(s)
you are encountering.

I have upgraded to 0.16e and then downgraded to 0.15d (to show that it
can be done) and then upgraded back to 0.16e.

Have you tried the procedure I described earlier in this thread, before trying
to upgrade or downgrade?

Luck;
Ken
Old 11-11-2010, 07:55 AM   #98
diskjoncter
diskjoncter began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook
Hi Guys,

I'm triyng to downgrade from the V0.35m jetBook firmware to a previous version, I followed the procedure given by Ken but something doesn't work with my JB, I cannot even NOR flashing the device (thru the diagnostic menu) but there's something wrong with the NAND Flash md5sum check (memory check): mtd3 is ok but mtd4 is not.

So I would like to know if one of you did try to downgrade its JB from 0.35m just to know if it is even possible to do so.

mtd4 seems to be a file but how this one is always wrong? I installed the last version again and again with different SD cards, programming systems, and it always fail.

I already posted a thread in the Ectaco forum with this problem: http://www.ectaco.com/posts/list/53638.page

Maybe than one of you could verify this on its jetBook, not the lite.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited by diskjoncter; 11-11-2010 at 07:57 AM.
diskjoncter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #99
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Problems with Ken's Instructions of #91 Below

Despite repeated attempts Ken's procedure did not work at all for me just now when I tried to upgrade a brand new (but cheap) JetBook from v0.29 to v0.34b. However the procedure given by Ectaco at http://www.jetbook.net/update/jetbook did work.

Jetbook & Jetbook Lite Firmware Upgrade Instructions

To upgrade any firmware version before 0.34b to the latest (0.35m), the version 0.34b has to be installed first: for example 0.33g -> 0.34b -> 0.35m. - i.e. You must upgrade twice - first from whatever you have to 0.34b - and then you must do the whole dam thing all over again with new data in your SD card to further upgrade to 0.35m.

Some early versions of the Jetbook do not recognise SDHC cards (i.e. ones larger than 2GB) so do not use them for the upgrade. Once you have gone through the whole interminable process, however, you will find that among other things your Jetbook can now use SDHC cards.

1. Make a backup copy on your computer or a spare SD card of books, audio files, and pictures that you have stored on your JetBook, and fully charge its battery.

2. Download and unpack the firmware package and then transfer the "Data", "Firmware", and "Reflash_nor" folders to the root directory of an otherwise empty SD card (preferably freshly reformated FAT16 or FAT32). As mentioned above do not use an SDHC (>2GB) card.

3. Place the SD card into your JetBook SD slot (the JetBook may be on or off).

4. If the device is off turn it on - then press the Reset button on the back with a toothpick or straightened paperclip. The device will turn off.

5. The device must be off and recently reset at this point. Press and hold the On/Off button and right arrow key simultaneously until the JetBook logo appears on the screen. Follow the instructions on the screen.

6. The update process will take 10-15 minutes. DO NOT touch any keys during the update.

7. When the update process is complete, press the Reset button again. The device will turn off.

8. Press and hold the On/Off button for 3 seconds. Release the button. The JetBook will start within 1 minute and the update process is complete - but you would be well-advised to check your settings in case anything has been reset by the upgrade.

To update your jetBook to version 0.35m (Jul 26, 2010) get data at http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade/JL04-v035m.exe.(48.5 MB)
To update your jetBook to version 0.34b (Jan 21, 2010) get http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade/JL04-v0.34b.zip. (47.6 MB)
To update your jetBook-Lite to version 0.16e (Aug 13, 2010) get http://www.jetbook.net/upgrade/Lite-0.16e.exe. (55.3 MB)
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:37 PM   #100
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Right, this is a known issue, that is made obvious in the instructions I refer to in my posts.

Your recent posts stated that you had tried updating the FW a number of times, I guess I
shouldn't have assumed you had read and followed the normal procedures, in those attempts.

Luck;
Ken
Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #101
James Bryant
Ebook fanatic since 1962
James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.James Bryant could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Cybook3/REB1100/Kolin/iRex iLiad/JetBook & JB Mini/Onyx C67, T68, Poke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Right, this is a known issue, that is made obvious in the instructions I refer to in my posts.

Your recent posts stated that you had tried updating the FW a number of times, I guess I
shouldn't have assumed you had read and followed the normal procedures, in those attempts.

Luck;
Ken
Problem was finding the "normal procedures"! I found several sets of instructions - none of them mentioned that early JetBooks could not read SDHC cards, so none of them worked for me. Almost all SD cards these days are SDHC types - when I became aware of the possible cause of the problem I visited seven shops before I found a card under 4GB (and it cost more than an 8GB one).

Note that the instructions I have posted are not a direct copy of the Ectaco page, which does not mention the SDHC issue, they are derived from the Ectaco page and my experiences. I have suggested to Ectaco that they mention the SD card issue on their upgrade page.

Best wishes - James
James Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #102
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just to mention:
There have been 2GB SDHC cards manufactured, one needs to read what the card says (SD, SDHC, or XD)!

Another thing:
Most micro SD cards of under 2GB are way cheaper, even with an adapter.
One can easily use a 1 or 2 GB microSD card (non SDHC), and plug it in a micro SD to SD card adapter.
Many websites throw microSD cards in your face (with adapters), because they hold very little value for a customer nowadays (people want 4,8 and 16GB cards for multimedia)!

It could save some money buying them instead, especially for someone in the future trying to do something similar than this, and even a 512MB microSD card is large enough to do a firmware upgrade, and store quite a large library of books on!

Also microSD cards generally consume less power than regular SD cards,they are a bit slower in writes though, but it should save you 'some' power when reading books from them.
Then again, if you want to save most power for your reading device (maximize battery life) there may be devices out there, where it might be better to store the books ON the device, instead of on an external card.

Last edited by ProDigit; 04-01-2012 at 12:57 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #103
dave5067
dave5067 began at the beginning.

Device: ectaco jetbook
Firstly, hello all
I'm new to the forums having just bought a very old ectaco jetbook i came looking for advice to update the firmware.
The firmware on my machine is currently software v0.26n patch v12 which i can't even find a mention of here at all.
I have downloaded version v0.33g from the link on this forum post but i don't know if i can go straight from v.026n to v0.33g, if anyone can give me some advice i would greatly appreciate it.
Im currently charging the jetbook up and it still doesnt seem to have finished after 7 hours, it's still showing the battery animation, is this normal?? i'm guessing this unit hasn't been used in a while so do you think i should charge it overnight?
Again, thanks for any advice anyone can offer
Regards Dave.
dave5067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #104
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Just follow the procedure that Mr. Bryant has outlined above and use a SD card not an
SDHC card. I would be sure to charge the internal battery to the best that you can get it,
given how old the firmware is, it may even benefit from a new battery. They can fade
over time and none last forever.

Luck;
Ken
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #105
dave5067
dave5067 began at the beginning.

Device: ectaco jetbook
Hi Ken thanks for the reply.
I just followed the procedure set out by Mr Bryant using a freshly formatted 512mb sd card with the 3 folders "Data", "Firmware", and "Reflash_nor" of version 0.34b in the root directory of the empty card and ended up with the mesage "firmware upgrade failed hardware failure occurs please refer to the relevant part of the user manual"
looked in the manual and can find no mention of firmware upgrades at all.
I reset again using the reset button and that got me back to where i was.
Has anyone else had this problem? not sure what to do now, the reader is almost useless to me as it can only read txt and pdf files as is, i really need it to read epub files.
dave5067 is offline   Reply With Quote