Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Tell us about your Christmas (Holiday) Traditions

Its that time again.........Do you celebrate Christmas, Hannahah (Channekah? Please feel free to correct the spelling) Winter Solstice, Festivus? Something else? Perhaps you don't celebrate, or do anything special during "the season"

Tell this world wide forum about it.

What do you do? Any special traditions in your family? What do you eat? Do you bake for days before?

I'll start. Here, in the USA, when Christmas is celebrated, there are two schools of thought. Some families open gifts on Christmas Eve.........some (like mine) think that's sacrilege, and that gifts must be opened on Christmas morning. After all, Santa can't come till everyone is asleep. Yes, this is a "Santa" house.

This can make for some very early Christmas mornings if you have young children in the house.

We BBQ steaks and bake potatoes, rolled in a little olive oil, and rubbed with salt.....makes the skins yummy! Must haves are chex mix and peppermint rice krispie squares, and mixed nuts. We can do this yearly because it never gets really cold in the frickin' desert!!!

Christmas Eve is celebrated with take out Mexican food, Served buffet style. gifts are exchanged with family members that like to stay home on Christmas day with their own family.

Christmas music is the only thing allowed to be played, and we have lots of CD's collected over the years.

So......what do you do? We're listening...........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally, not being a Christian, I prefer not to celebrate it. I consider it to be a religious holiday for Christians, first and foremost, and consider the commercial "hype" that's developed around it to be a monstrosity that is totally at odds with the actual religious purpose of the celebration.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sure that most people are aware of this, but just on the vague chance that anybody isn't, it's interesting to note that the "traditional" British Christmas was basically "invented" and promoted by Charles Dickens in the early 1840s. Christmas had been falling "out of fashion" for decades before that and, by that time, was a normal working day for many. Newspapers were printed, all the shops were open (you'll see this if you read "A Christmas Carol"); it was a normal day, with religious services for the reducing minority for those who were of a mind to treat it as a "special" day. It was "A Christmas Carol" which basically became the "definition" of what traditional British Christmas celebrations became.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally, not being a Christian, I prefer not to celebrate it. I consider it to be a religious holiday for Christians, first and foremost, and consider the commercial "hype" that's developed around it to be a monstrosity that is totally at odds with the actual religious purpose of the celebration.
Thank you for that uplifting post, Harry.

Now, being thoroughly depressed, I shall go shave my head, wear a hair shirt for penance, and walk thru the streets beating my back with a strap studded with small nails.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Thank you for that uplifting post, Harry.

Now, being thoroughly depressed, I shall go shave my head, wear a hair shirt for penance, and walk thru the streets beating my back with a strap studded with small nails.
LOL

I'm not religious but I've known Muslims, Jews, Agnostics, Quakers and members of pretty much near every other damn sect or (dis)belief and all of them celebrate Christmas in one form or another. If you're religious, you can go the Jesus route or treat it as Yule or whatever you think is spiritual, nothing wrong with that, may your God or Gods be with you. If not then this season has become a wonderful time to be with friends, to kick back and relax, to eat with your family, get drunk, or whatever brings you a little comfort in the darker months.

The spirit of Christmas is not religious, it's human. It's a human act of kidness celebrated. A sanction for joy.

Me, I get drunk, I see friends and family, sometimes I kiss strange women who I don't know when I've had one too many beers I dance (even though I can't dance), I sing (even though I can't sing), and if there's some snow to be had I build a snowman.

Goddamn I hope it snows and I can build a snowman this year
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I'm sure that most people are aware of this, but just on the vague chance that anybody isn't, it's interesting to note that the "traditional" British Christmas was basically "invented" and promoted by Charles Dickens in the early 1840s.
I thought Prince Albert also introduced some of our Christmas traditions from Germany after he married Queen Victoria.

I basically eat brussels sprouts for three days.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I thought Prince Albert also introduced some of our Christmas traditions from Germany after he married Queen Victoria.
He did indeed - most notably the Christmas tree.

Quote:
I love Brussel sprouts! .
Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:

Okay...........but why?
Old 11-27-2009, 02:02 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

And then there's the "traditional" Father Christmas, of course, who comes from Coca Cola advertising in the 1930s .
Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Okay...........but why?
Because it's traditional . Brussel sprouts are something you have to have with your Christmas dinner!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Bottom explains Traditional British X-Mas dinner (including Brussel Sprouts)

Warning: Includes some traditional british violence and gore

Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Because it's traditional . Brussel sprouts are something you have to have with your Christmas dinner!
Okay. I can understand that. Maybe like our green bean casserole?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greenbeancasserole.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	40253  
Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Okay...........but why?
Sprouts are traditional christmas food in Britain - and I love 'em.

I heard the cheesiest thing on a recent radio programme about celebrating Christmas. A vicar talked about giving people 'the best of gift of all - the gift of time' (and I don't think he meant a Rolex). When asked what economical treat you can get the kids, he said why not take them to a Christmas service? It's free and 'fun for all the family'.

I hated Christmas services as a nipper; one of the joys of being an adult is not being dragged to them any more. For me, Christmas is a reminder of how happy I am to be an atheist.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Sprouts are traditional christmas food in Britain - and I love 'em.
me too. favourite recipe : http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...ts-recipe.html
please feel free to share yours.

Quote:
I heard the cheesiest thing on a recent radio programme about celebrating Christmas. A vicar talked about giving people 'the best of gift of all - the gift of time' (and I don't think he meant a Rolex). When asked what economical treat you can get the kids, he said why not take them to a Christmas service? It's free and 'fun for all the family'.

I hated Christmas services as a nipper; one of the joys of being an adult is not being dragged to them any more. For me, Christmas is a reminder of how happy I am to be an atheist.
amen to that.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
One gift (unwrapped) from santa in the morning next to your stocking (you can play with it as soon as you awaken as long as you donʻt wake up mom and dad, which they always do anyway), a few other presents from family as well (wrapped, must wait for everyone to awaken), ham (ick) is traditional dinner, with mashed potatoes and corn. Never church on Christmas morning- not as a child (we did usually go to the midnight services on Christmas Eve), and no church at all now as an adult with kids.

Hmm. I think that about covers it? Oh yeah, and the tree (fake, always fake) goes up right around this time and goes down sometime after new yearʻs.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote