Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:58 PM   #1
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Guardian recipe still erratic

Hi...unfortunately there still seems to be some issues with the guardian recipe. It only downloaded 221 pages today. There are four sections titled main section, sport, g2 and media guardian....this is fine but unfortunately the main section contains no items. The other 3 sections seem ok. Any chance of a fix? Thanks.
pars_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Opena ticket for it and I'll take a look when I have a moment.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #3
pars_andy
Connoisseur

No problem. Hope it's not too hard to track down a fix at it seems to vary day to day. One alternative would be to make the old recipe available. I have to say that seemed pretty reliable, downloaded more up to date news items and split everything up into sections based on the story type. I know the new recipe is closer to the print version but in my opinion that disadvantages it.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
pars_andy
Connoisseur

I held off opening a ticket as the feed had been pretty solid apart from the occasion described above. Unfortunately however, the feed failed completely today and this was tested in both .26 and .27. I've now opened a ticket and have copied the debug output into the description. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK I've reverted to using rss feeds. If you're using 0.6.27 calibre should automatically use the updated recipe.
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Still getting the same error unfortunately.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK, wait for the next release. The feeds based recipe will be in that.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Ok. Thanks for that. Is there any way of easily customising the recipe so that it downloads more stories for each section? The one problem i had with the old recipe was that the number of items in each section was limited to 20. As some sections such as the 'front page' and the sports section contained more than that, some stories were missing. If i could edit it so that around 40 stories for these two sections were downloaded, i'd be very happy. It must be possible as the newer version has around 75 items in the main section. Thanks again for all your hard work.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Sure just customize the builtin recipe and change max_articles_per_feed and oldest_article

However there is an absolute limit (the number of articles present in the RSS feed at any given time.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
pars_andy
Connoisseur

That's great. I've actually backed up the current recipe and reinstalled it as a custom one because i'm actually starting to like the layout now. I assume then that when i upgrade to future versions of calibre, it will still be there. It's working again today btw. There must just be an issue with the sunday feed. The guardian doesn't produce a sunday paper.....maybe that has something to do with it?
Old 12-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well the new recipe will use the print edition layout and fallback to the feeds if it finds that there are no articles present in the print edition.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Sounds fantastic!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Hi. The new version has downloaded to completion since it's been updated which is great. It didn't seem to download a sports section today for some reason though. I dont know if that section was missing from the print version but there were a few major football games on in the uk yesterday so i would've expected there to be something. Would it be possible to check this out if you get a chance? You must be sick of hearing about this recipe but it's so close to being perfect!
Old 12-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can check for yourself if there is a sports section by going to

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian

which is where the recipe gets its sections from.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
pars_andy
Connoisseur

Ah...thanks for that. My apologies then. The feed has worked as it should today. :-)