Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
danyspike
danyspike began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Reindexing

Hi! I'm having a small situation. I don't know what caused it so I'll explain everything I did before the problem started.

I connected my kindle to my computer and successfully added 10 books manually (dragging the files to the 'documents' folder). However, I forgot that I had Calibre open so Calibre 'scanned' my device. I ejected the Kindle and apparently everything was fine, but 5 minutes later I realized my kindle was reindexing ALL my books for no apparent reason.

I'd read somewhere that reindexing happens when you add new files and one or more are corrupted, so I connected the device again and deleted all the books I had just added. I did a hard reset just in case, but when I turned it on again, the Kindle was still reindexing everything. And by everything I mean all my 2850 books (do not judge ) so the reindexing will take A LONG time.

Does anyone know why this happened? I deleted all the new files so that can't be the problem. If there's nothing to do, do you think it'll be better to reset to factory settings and start charging my books all over again (20-50 at a time)?

Thank you in advance!
danyspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I wouldn't worry about it reindexing. I would plug it into a wall charger while it is doing so so I wouldn't have to worry about the battery dying during the process.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My K3 does this too. Let it finish reindexing if you want but if it keeps up a Factory reset is the only thing I know that fixed it for me. Since I did one I haven't had any more problems. I only had 300 hundred books on mine the first time and 125 the second time it decided to do this again. So far after the Factory Reset and 175 books it still has not done it again.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
danyspike

Thank you both! I was fearing this meant something much worse. I have an irrational love for my kindle so I was quite worried lol

I'll wait for it to finish (only 1034 left!) and hope it doesn't happen again. If not, I'll reset it to factory settings and start from scratch.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I have the DX, but this is the reason that I don't let Calibre "see" it, if not disconnected carefully and in the right order, it can kick off a full re-indexing - it did it for me 3 times before I spotted the cause. Now I use Calibre to convert books only, and then manually drag them to the Kindle, and I do collections on the Kindle only.

Re-indexing does no harm and may actually speed the Kindle. but that's assuming you're home. Mine did it once just before I was going on a trip, so I couldn't leave it plugged in. THAT was a pain.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
danyspike

Now it all makes sense. Calibre must have done it. Thanks a lot for your info and I'll be more careful in the future

Tags
kindle touch, re-indexing