Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #76
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I like the Wikipedia app "Articles". It has the standard Wikipedia search and save for later, but what sets it apart is that it uses Apple's location services.

Anything nearby that has a Wikipedia article shows up as a pushpin on the map that you can click on to read the entry. Nearby towns, parks, bridges, museums, notable businesses and buildings, rivers, lakes, etc.

http://sophiestication.com/articles/
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #77
vonCZ
Connoisseur
vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vonCZ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby View Post
Evernote – use this to organize everything! It even syncs...
I downloaded/used/loved this program (Evernote) for about a week... then realized the notes (particularly images) I'd taken weren't available to me off-line, which is my usual state of affairs. So I switched to Springpad and things were good for awhile... until a couple months ago, when I realized images saved here are also not available off-line. (I think there's some kinda time-limit: images are stored on the device for a few months, then purged.) Any suggestions, work-arounds, software alternatives greatly appreciated.

Someone mentioned Downcast; yes!! I listen to podcasts all the time; until recently I was using Podcaster, which was a source of constant frustration. Two weeks ago I installed Downcast and love it. (somewhat off-topic: to anyone interested in astronomy, earth science, or science in general: Astronomy Cast is excellent!)

mSecure- for keeping up with my various logins/passwords/passport #s, etc.

SleepMachine- ambient noise every night.

iBooks- Sure, Stanza was great, but now that it's gone I've not found anything close to iBooks. I just tried another one this morning--uBooks--and thereafter quickly deleted it from my iPhone. I hate iTunes as much as the next guy but see no alternative for now.

Oh, finally: SaiSuke. SaiSuke was my first calendar program, but I read so many good things about Calengoo--it gets better reviews than SaiSuke--I decided to try it out for a few months. I liked it fine, but SaiSuke's monthly view--with the daily task summary at the bottom--brought me back.
vonCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 12:14 AM   #78
Cruizer
Cruizer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Here are few app that I find to be using a lot on my iPad:

Stanza - if it wasn't for Calibre, I think I'd be using iBooks.

PlainText and Evernote - used to take notes quickly, but sometimes not effectively. But I think it's just me being a new tablet user.

"Remote App" - I use this one a lot control what's playing on iTunes.

TeamViewer - I find myself using this app a lot recently. Mostly because I'm too lazy to stand up at night and see what's happening on my PC (what's downloading, notifications, etc).

feedly - I use this one to view my Google Reader subscriptions. I'm seeing a lot of users having alternatives for this one so I might just check those out.

OPlayer HD Lite - allows me to stream media into my iPad. It's not perfect, especially with HD videos, but it still comes in handy if you don't want to convert movies for your iPad (or for quickly previewing videos).

Firefox Sync - I use this one to sync my Firefox bookmarks, but I hope Mobile Safari + iCloud could do this natively.
Cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #79
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Evernote - just starting to use it though, and hadn't considered the offline issues that someone mentioned above.

PDF Expert - wonderful tool for working with pdfs. I like iAnnotate, too, but so far PDF Expert is scoring slightly higher.

TED Talks - great way to refresh myself during work breaks. So much inspiring stuff on there.

Voice memos - I use this to record supervision meetings, lectures, memos to myself and it's very convenient. I'll probably continue to use just that if Evernote voice memos aren't available offline.

123D Sculpt is just a really fun app if you need some distraction

My local app for checking public transportation. Extremely useful.
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #80
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonCZ View Post
I downloaded/used/loved this program (Evernote) for about a week... then realized the notes (particularly images) I'd taken weren't available to me off-line, which is my usual state of affairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoba View Post
Evernote - just starting to use it though, and hadn't considered the offline issues that someone mentioned above.
Evernote data is available offline if you are using the PC/Mac version also, just not on the iPad. I assume this is for space considerations. The same applies to my other favorite app; Dropbox.

If you have Evernote installed on your desktop then you will have a local database of your notes that will sync with the online database.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #81
jojoba
Addict
jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jojoba ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3gen, Cybook Odyssey FL HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Evernote data is available offline if you are using the PC/Mac version also, just not on the iPad. I assume this is for space considerations. The same applies to my other favorite app; Dropbox.

If you have Evernote installed on your desktop then you will have a local database of your notes that will sync with the online database.
I see, thanks for that!

Are there any note taking applications that both

a) can be sync'ed with a web solution/ other computer
and
b) where notes are available offline?
jojoba is offline   Reply With Quote