Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2010, 03:43 AM   #136
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Wow, I don't stop by for a few days and all "Pearl and Pearl Lite" breaks loose!

A "90 year old Monsegnior" runs around chasing a talking dog and knocking out guards. Red is singing "Ave Marie" and someone wants to know, "Which way would the frog hop?"

I wonder if the "Drowning Baptists" were "Drowning" or drinking all that Pearl and Pearl Lite as it was exploding like fireworks around and over them?

Then a big ole full moon shines for only a short while before the possibility of a butt sling is being discussed. Which leads to Red convincing the court that he's just "a real friendly fellow".

I can't wait for, The Case of the Screaming Queen!

Bravo, Sir! I'll lift a "Pearl" to you!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #137
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Wow, I don't stop by for a few days and all "Pearl and Pearl Lite" breaks loose!

A "90 year old Monsegnior" runs around chasing a talking dog and knocking out guards. Red is singing "Ave Marie" and someone wants to know, "Which way would the frog hop?"

I wonder if the "Drowning Baptists" were "Drowning" or drinking all that Pearl and Pearl Lite as it was exploding like fireworks around and over them?

Then a big ole full moon shines for only a short while before the possibility of a butt sling is being discussed. Which leads to Red convincing the court that he's just "a real friendly fellow".

I can't wait for, The Case of the Screaming Queen!

Bravo, Sir! I'll lift a "Pearl" to you!

You snooze, you lose......
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #138
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More Concordance

Post 4

Inning - another American baseball term. Each team get a change to hit the ball, the combination is called an inning. A game consists of 9 innings, except if it ends in a tie score.

Witness - Baptist term for preaching at people who don't want to be preached at.

the Light - convert to Baptist.

the Calling - the need of some Baptists to Witness.

Sea Island - A nice, local to San Antonio, seafood carry out chain. Red recommended.

Post 5

Go with the Spirit - good luck

Y tu tambien - Spanish for "and you too".

Post 6

Nothing to add

Post 7

Jake - See the first Red story, The Case of the Golden Corporlite.

Kaitempi - From the book Wasp. by Eric Frank Russell. The name of a ruthless Secret Police. Great read. The real person disguised as Kate is left as an exercise to the reader...

Post 8

Mena - Drug running base in Arkansas when Slick Willie was President. Known for all the bodies that popped up there. The author knows one of the few survivors....

Cartiff on a toad - From the book Second Stage Lensmen, by E. E. Smith PHD. The finest of the Space Operas. The full quote is from a discussion between a representative of a local protection racket and the hero, posing as a head mafioso (Cartiff) muscling in on the local rackets. "Tell your boss that if a toad gets in my way, I step on it." The local racketeer finds out the hard way (his choice) just how hard the hero could step....

Post 9

Breckenridge Elkins idiots - Robert E. Howard character. Stronger than a horse and almost as smart.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #139
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Post 9

Breckenridge Elkins idiots - Robert E. Howard western character. Stronger than a horse and almost as smart.

Sea Island carry-out - A nice seafood restaurant chain in San Antonio. Good eating if you like seafood.

Post 10

humanist - a philosophy that holds that there is nothing more important that human beings..

didoes - Western slang for shoot-outs

Parabolic Microphone - by using a parabolic reflector and placing the microphone in the center, it acts like a telescope for hearing things...

Post 11

The last roller seem to join the congregation - Pun on roller. Certain sects of fundamental Christianity in the US are nicknamed "Holy Rollers" (don't ask why), usually shortened to Rollers. The trolleys roll on wheels...

Post 12

Most of them seem to have the shakes and some of them are seeing things - Classic sign of alcohol withdrawal. Diplomats are notorious for heavy drinking.

Looey - Lieutenant, a junior officer.

Everclear - Drinkable 95% ethyl alcohol. Used to spike punches with...

Capeesh - American Italian for understand

Post 13

dunkers, not sprinklers - Baptists baptise by full immersion, rather that by sprinkling with water as done by many other Christian branches.

Post 14

since the old days with Mayor Peppone - From the Don Camillo books. They are a series of short stories about Don Camillo versus The Communist Mayor, Peppone. All the jokes in this section come from the books...

Just as I Am - The Closing hymn at a baptist worship ceremony. A call for conversions.

Post 15

They're all safe in the hands of the FBI - A parody of the Baptist phrase "safe in the arms of Jesus".

cojones - Tex-Mex slang for testicles, which is also slang for having courage.

Tom T. Hall's I Like Beer - The perfect country western song about beer drinking.

Post 16

Black Talons - A form of expanding bullet that formed a buzzsaw form when it hits a person. Very nasty. So dangerous that the factory voluntarily stopped making them. There are some still in outside world, though.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #140
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

This completes the concordance. I will start putting together the posts as a book soon. Queen Zelda has promised to do the cover honors.

Every time I start a Red, I hope I get to the finish line, without writing an unreadable mess. When I get done, and look back over it, I just shake my head and think, "I wrote that? It really is readable."

So in a few months, I will walk the high wire again, for the next Red adventure...

(And as usual, it'll be Public Domain...)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM   #141
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Well, *I* liked it, and didn't notice any unreadableness! Thank you, thank you!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #142
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Well, *I* liked it, and didn't notice any unreadableness! Thank you, thank you!!
My point is that when I start one, It's a mental high-wire act. I haven't fallen off but once...

These are the modern equivalent of the Old West campfire yarns. I'm glad you like them. but remember, these aren't Shakespeare, Balzac, or Doyle...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #143
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
These are the modern equivalent of the Old West campfire yarns. I'm glad you like them. but remember, these aren't Shakespeare, Balzac, or Doyle...
A Shakespearean VR might be fun:

Pish’t, that dog
Doth cock his leg on yonder tall lamp post,
While loudly crying, “Bring me bacon, ho!”
Methinks that dogs are not oft moved to speak.
Perchance I am asleep and dream, but lo
A steaming puddle spreadeth on the snow.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM   #144
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
My point is that when I start one, It's a mental high-wire act. I haven't fallen off but once...

who knows what people will think of them in a few hundred years. i'm pretty sure shakespeare (who is often quite bawdy...) was not considered "high culture" in his time, he was writing entertainment for the masses. anyway sometimes the distinction between so-called "high culture" and anything else seems pretty blurry... i think your stories are brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
A Shakespearean VR might be fun:

Pish’t, that dog
Doth cock his leg on yonder tall lamp post,
While loudly crying, “Bring me bacon, ho!”
Methinks that dogs are not oft moved to speak.
Perchance I am asleep and dream, but lo
A steaming puddle spreadeth on the snow.
brilliant !! you should write an entire play like that !!! :standing ovation:
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #145
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
who knows what people will think of them in a few hundred years. i'm pretty sure shakespeare (who is often quite bawdy...) was not considered "high culture" in his time, he was writing entertainment for the masses. anyway sometimes the distinction between so-called "high culture" and anything else seems pretty blurry... i think your stories are brilliant.

brilliant !! you should write an entire play like that !!! :standing ovation:

A Comedy, Tragedy, or History?

(I've got to back to moving concrete blocks....)

P.S. The Case of the Screaming Queen is the same story as the proposed Whiter Shade of Red...

Last edited by Greg Anos; 03-31-2010 at 09:42 AM.

Tags
red