Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well... the Crunchgear guys seemed highly impressed.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #17
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... the Crunchgear guys seemed highly impressed.

BOb
I think they impress easier than we do.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:39 AM   #18
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The way they sometimes hype some mediocre products... I suspect that some "green" or some gifts are involved in impressing some of these bloggers. Not these guys in particular.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:40 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
It has a Vizplex screen, and I confirmed that the 9.7” model also has a screen made by PVI.
If those screens have a glass substrate, I'm not interested.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
raven312
Enthusiast
raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.raven312 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 2
I don't understand the point of the slider, except for a gimmick. If anything needs protection, it's the screen. I would hardly think that the three or so buttons need to be harbored. And when I'm ready to read I don't want to go through a "ritual" to get the thing open, then deal with the interface. I'd want to get right to it.
raven312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #21
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Theory: It's expensive because the touch thing (or whatever it's called) is put under the e-ink thing which is why it has no glare, and which, from what i read in a thread here, is more expensive than just putting it on the e-ink thing.

sorry about the "thing"
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 AM   #22
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidgej View Post
Theory: It's expensive because the touch thing (or whatever it's called) is put under the e-ink thing which is why it has no glare, and which, from what i read in a thread here, is more expensive than just putting it on the e-ink thing.

sorry about the "thing"
only if you can use your fingers
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven312 View Post
I don't understand the point of the slider, except for a gimmick. If anything needs protection, it's the screen. I would hardly think that the three or so buttons need to be harbored. And when I'm ready to read I don't want to go through a "ritual" to get the thing open, then deal with the interface. I'd want to get right to it.
The slider might be a good idea if there was a keyboard on it. People seem to like the ease of use the kindle keyboard offers, but most complain that it adds to the size. This might be a possible workaround. And I like sliding things
Nothing really special about this samsung device, it seems. What's next, Nate?
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:16 AM   #24
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Now why can't Sony just remake their 700 but use the Wacom touch screen?
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

sorry about the "thing"
yeah it is Wacom touch like the Onyx Boox 60
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #26
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
From a company much smaller than Samsung is IREX, who has the iliad reader from 2006 that uses the same wacom-patented technology, but it did debut at $700. $400 for a 6" reader does seem high compared to other similar size readers and still high compared to IREX's upcoming $400 10" DR800 reader, which still uses the same pen technology. And there is the $489 Entourage Edge with a 9.7" e-ink screen and another similar size color screen and also uses wacom technology.

What is most disappointing is that there is really nothing new... it's simply yet another pretty case around the same old vizplex screen. E-ink has been pretty static in their technology and need to get something new out there, such as better contrast, higher resolution, faster refresh, etc. I do hear that they plan to introduce plastic-based screens later, similar to what's used by Plastic Logic. There is also news of them incorporating a newer finger touch technology that doesn't require a layer over the e-ink... it's suppose to have sensors in the corners that calculate coordinates based on pressure on the screen. I would love for something like IREX's DR800 to have a flexible screen (I've seen too many horror photos), but I'm guessing most of the market is waiting for e-ink/PVI to introduce new screens first.

Now, as for the Skiff with its higher resolution flexible screen, which is something new, I'm very interested. If they are pricing readers at a premium, then they better make sure that last. Otherwise, price them low enough so that replacing a damaged unit is an option.

Last edited by badbob001; 01-07-2010 at 09:42 AM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #27
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Thanks Nate.

Let me know when you see a reader that should give me pause about buying the 900.

You caught good weather in Vegas. Too bad you will never get out of the show to enjoy it!!!!

I'm definitely feeling good about my purchase of the PRS-900. The iRex DR800SG is the only one that gives me pause; but at the rate iRex is going we will be lucky to have the device before the summer.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #28
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
wow that's the worst video I have seen for a product in a while. This is why you need product reps showing the products off, not tech journalists who don't know how to use it.

From that video all I gathered was, it's not intuitive to use, it has a slow OS, but the hardware is shiny. There is no affiliation/integration with a major bookstore either so how that effects prices we don't know. The hardware quality looks great but other aspects poor.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ces10