Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #1
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can't upgrade ROM.

My HD+ is running CM version 10.1-20130710 ovation on a Sandisk 16GB Class4 SD card. I've tried upgrading this ROM with two different newer ROMS. Both files downloaded without any problems. When I tried to flash them with CWM 6.0.3.2 I got a "Bad File" error message. I've tried d'loading directly to the HD+ and to my iMac and copying it to the HD+. Neither worked.
I can't figure out what is wrong. Help?
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Which ROM build are you trying to install -- and is it verygreen's or bokbokan's?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Verygreen's " cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip" from XDA's forums at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=nook+hd+plus
I place the zip file in EMMC and then boot into CWM. CWM finds the zip file and tries to open it but can't and gives the "bad file" error message. I can't figure out what's wrong.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unless you've done it already, I'd suggest checking the integrity of the ROM zip file you downloaded using an MD5 checker.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
fredlave
Connoisseur

Thanks. I'll do that but I doubt that's the problem since it's happened with two different ROMs (cm-10.1-20130816-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip) and the ROM referenced above. Plus, I've d'loaded both several times directly into the Nook, to my Windows laptop and to my iMac. Could it be that CWM is at fault? Not appropriate for the HD+? As a newbie I can't post to the HD+ development section in XDA Forums and a search turned up nothing.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlave View Post
Could it be that CWM is at fault? Not appropriate for the HD+?
If you use the CWM recovery that came included in verygreen's sdcard-cwm-early7.1.img then it should work, I have successfully used the built-in CWM to update both 10.1 and 10.2 many times.

CWM recovery programs that are compiled for another device (e.g., Nook Tablet) will not work on the HD+.
Quote:
As a newbie I can't post to the HD+ development section in XDA Forums and a search turned up nothing.
You can always post questions on the HD+ Q&A forums: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2036.

Last edited by livramax; 09-09-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
fredlave
Connoisseur

I d'loaded cm-10.1-20130904-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-sdcard.zip from verygreen's thread on XDA Forums and generated a MD5 with a nifty MD5 app I found on Playstore. The problem is that verygreen does not provide a MD5 for the file to compare my d'load to. Also goo manager only has HD+ ROMS for EMMC and not SD installations. I'll try verygreen's early CWM 7.1 and see if that works.
Thanks for the XDA HD+ Q&A link. Very useful.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
fredlave
Connoisseur

Update:
I d'loaded the latest ROM from verygreen's thread on XDA Forums to my Lenovo laptop and then mounted the HD+ and copied the ROM to EMMC and booted into recovery. The upgrade succeeded. It did take longer than usual for the upgrade to finish but the reboot went fine after I cleaned the cache. I have no idea why it worked. Maybe the lesson is to be persistent.
Thank you for all the advice. It really helped.
FL
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I always check the MD5 after it is on the SD card or internal memory of whatever Android device I'm flashing.

Did you copy it to the SD card the first times? Perhaps a flaky SD card?
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
fredlave
Connoisseur

The upgrade failed when I d'loaded it directly into EMMC but then succeeded when I d'loaded it to a PC laptop and then moved it to EMMC. Unfortunately, verygreen did not supply an MD5 for this upgrade to compare to the d'loaded file. Go figure.
One bright spot is that succulent at iamafanof.com has started working with Nook HD+. He has done a wonderful job supporting the Nook Tablet so I really look forward to his HD+ support.