Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
tterrellbanks
tterrellbanks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura; Kindle Paperwhite 1
PW-1 Collections Display Problem

My issue is that I have recently started seeing on the Kindle home screen all of my collections (this is as I think it should be) and then only when I select 'All Items' under the 'My Items' dropdown get ALL of my books showing up on the Kindle screen rather than the books that belong to a collection appearing only in that collection with the books not in any collection being visible on the Home screen.
What used to happen can was that any book only showed up when I was in the collection in which it belonged. I.E. if it was not in a collection it appeared on the Home screen, if it was in (a) collection(s) it did not show up on the Home screen.

Any pointers to get back where I was before will be greatly appreciated.

TB
tterrellbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterrellbanks View Post
My issue is that I have recently started seeing on the Kindle home screen all of my collections (this is as I think it should be) and then only when I select 'All Items' under the 'My Items' dropdown get ALL of my books showing up on the Kindle screen rather than the books that belong to a collection appearing only in that collection with the books not in any collection being visible on the Home screen.
What used to happen can was that any book only showed up when I was in the collection in which it belonged. I.E. if it was not in a collection it appeared on the Home screen, if it was in (a) collection(s) it did not show up on the Home screen.

Any pointers to get back where I was before will be greatly appreciated.

TB
This is a change in the newer firmware. The dropdown next to it, furthest right, has an option 'Collection', which does what you want if you pick it. (Having both dropdowns means that you can look at everything regardless of collections if and when you want to: it's quite useful once you get used to it.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
tterrellbanks
tterrellbanks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura; Kindle Paperwhite 1
I didn't get my point across.

Not quite what I wanted. The books that are not in any collection used to show up on the Home screen even when the righthand dropdown was set to 'Collections'.

New sideloads to the Kindle would appear on the Home screen. Then I would put them into which ever collection they needed to go into OR they would get left as they were to appear on the Home screen along with all of the collection names.

I'm finding this hard to verbally explain, so let me know if I still haven't gotten it clear.
tterrellbanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #4
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterrellbanks View Post
Not quite what I wanted. The books that are not in any collection used to show up on the Home screen even when the righthand dropdown was set to 'Collections'.

New sideloads to the Kindle would appear on the Home screen. Then I would put them into which ever collection they needed to go into OR they would get left as they were to appear on the Home screen along with all of the collection names.

I'm finding this hard to verbally explain, so let me know if I still haven't gotten it clear.
They still do, for me at least. (I usually have a dozen or so in that state permanently, because I leave automatically-delivered things I plan to read once and delete outside collections.)

Note: only the *right* dropdown has this effect. The left one is a true filter: picking 'Collection' (sic) on there will filter out everything other than collections. (This is more than slightly confusing, since the right dropdown is in all other ways simply a reordering device: only the Collections option has the effect of making things in collections disappear. It's a historical wart, I suppose, and there's nowhere better they could put that option, anyway.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:52 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Try choosing 'Downloaded' instead of 'All items'? The recent firmware update changed this slightly and 'All items' means all the books that are stored in the Amazon cloud, not all the books on your Kindle.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Try choosing 'Downloaded' instead of 'All items'? The recent firmware update changed this slightly and 'All items' means all the books that are stored in the Amazon cloud, not all the books on your Kindle.
It should look like this image, except that the far right dropdown should say "COLLECTION".

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Downloaded.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	150485  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:00 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It should look like this image, except that the far right dropdown should say "COLLECTION".

Shari
What's the new black checkmark for, in the penultimate right column? I've been wondering..... (Or should I start a new thread?)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
What's the new black checkmark for, in the penultimate right column? I've been wondering..... (Or should I start a new thread?)
That means that the book is on the device. It's totally un-needed in "Downloaded" view, since, by definition, all of the content shown is on the device. I just figure someone forgot to add an "if-then" statement to take into account the different views.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
That means that the book is on the device. It's totally un-needed in "Downloaded" view, since, by definition, all of the content shown is on the device. I just figure someone forgot to add an "if-then" statement to take into account the different views.

Shari
Thanks - that explains why ALL my books have it! (I don't often look at the Cloud view.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw1 collections display