Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Device: prs600
Rock app

So who has rock app? How does it work? Do all the apple apps still work along with the rock apps?
cavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
You have to jailbreak your iPhone to have the Rock app, and yes all other apps and the phone itself function normally.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
What is the Rock app?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
an installer for 3rd party non-apple applications. competes with cydia

http://rockyourphone.com/
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
an installer for 3rd party non-apple applications. competes with cydia

http://rockyourphone.com/
Yes.... I got it so I could run MYWI, it works great....

I really don't mess with a lot of non-official apps. The app store has really plenty for me....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

iPhone with MyWi compliments the iPad without 3G very nicely.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Quite a few applications only available to JailBroken iPhones that I use:

IntelliScreen
WinterBoard
Firewall IP
Elert
Tlert
CalendarPro

All which require functionality Apple won't give to their developers. It's a shame.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G.

These are my top apps (I didn't install Rock. I only have Cydia):

Backgrounder and Multiflow (allows me to multitask with a decent UI for all the open apps.. but only up to 3 or 4 apps as the iPhone 3G's memory is limited.)
SBSettings (kind of like a CCleaner for the iPhone which dumps out trash. pretty neat.)
Cycorder (allows me to capture a good quality video for my phone)
Installous (Thousands of FREE Apps! It's like a substitute for the app store.)
Winterboard (for themes and customizations)

and many many more. my iPhone 3G has become so much better with jailbreak.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #9
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only have Cydia as well, but have installed winterboard, and backgrounder on my ipod touch. Using the ipad to listen to a podcast while surfing makes me miss backgrounder I understand that if I can get the podcast open in quicktime it will play indefintely but I am streaming the podcast from the feed.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books

well i suspect a jailbreak for the ipad 3.2 will be along shortly enough, they've demo'ed it online already. and once 4.0 hits this fall you'll have official backgrounding.

there's a few things i miss from my jailbroken phone on the ipad. my google voice app, firewall ip (great for ad blocking), my colemak keyboard, terminal with ssh (though desktop connect with vnc is close), spotbright to relaunch previous apps...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
cavi
Connoisseur
cavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enoughcavi will become famous soon enough

Excuse the ignorance, but what does jail breaking my iPhone involve and what are the negatives? If I want to do it so I can get wifi for my iPad will I need to jailbreak only the phone or both?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
volwrath
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
Excuse the ignorance, but what does jail breaking my iPhone involve and what are the negatives? If I want to do it so I can get wifi for my iPad will I need to jailbreak only the phone or both?
You will need to tjust jailbreak the phone. The one drawback is that everytime a new update comes out itunes or iphone os you have to be wary of upgrading and weight until the devteam or others say it is ok
Old 04-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavi View Post
http://iclarified.com/entries/index....scid=11&seid=2

The main "negative" is that you void your warranty. If you are comfortable with that, then there are plenty of benefits.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

just so you know, jailbreaking is a pretty easily reversible process. just do a new restore of your iphone and you're back to apple's official OS with no one the wiser. strongly recommended if you're taking it in for service.

jailbreaking should also not be confused with unlocking. Jailbreaking opens up access to your iPhone and its internal operating system allowing you to change things around, install non-Apple applications, and do things Apple-sanctioned applications can't.

Unlocking your iPhone allows you to take it to a carrier other than the one which it is locked to. If you're in the US you could unlock it and take it to a carrier other than AT&T, like t-mobile. You may not be able to use all the features of the iPhone, such as Visual Voicemail, when on another carrier.

Unlocking requires Jailbreaking. You can Jailbreak without unlocking (and unless you really need to unlock, I recommend staying away from it, it can cause other issues with your phone).
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #15
cavi
Connoisseur

Unfortunitly I found out that I cannot jailbreak my iPhone, I have firmware 3.1.3 and the phone was not jail broken before, therefore there is no way to jailbreak it. If I had 3.1.2 I could, and if it had been jail broken before there would be a shsh with cydia and I could downgrade to 3.1.2 then jail break and even at that point I could up back to 3.1.3 and still jailbreak it, but since I have never jail broken it I am out of luck, it looks like the devteam is waiting for os4 to come out to jailbreak that