Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Talking Notion Ink Adam (the one with a PixelQi display) gets specs, price range and date

Update: I was at MWC today and got a chance to talk to Rahat Sahni from Notion Ink. We have more info concerning software compatibility.

The much anticipated iPad killer Adam gets final specs.
Price Range: $327-800
Release date: September

1) PixelQi screen: Should provide plenty of battery life with the pixelQi display in B/W.
(We can agree that it will have better battery life than an Iliad...)
2) Expansion slots: USB , an HDMI port and an expandable SD card slot.
3) 3.2 MP Swivel Auto Focus Camera: A Notion Ink patented design, this could lead to interesting cases of recording your meetings, lectures in High definition.
4) Flash Acceleration
5) Multitouch
6) 3G/wifi/BT - AGPS
7) Multitasking: Yeah, Apple made this a feature.

Will run Android/ Ubuntu / Chrome

Check specs: Here
Video: Here

Now, will June be too late? ie: won't Apple have saturated the market by then?
What do you think?
I for one am really excited!

via [NI CEO]

Last edited by BKeeper; 02-17-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: New details after talking to NI
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well;

It looks very like the specs of several other announced devices (Tegra 2 based, etc.), except with a PixelQi rather than a more standard LCD screen. So it's going to be down to precisely how good it's software and the screen are.

For the first, I imagine we'll have to wait for a hands-on.
For the second, I'd like some close-up detail screenshots of a final screen.

I must say that the way the device edge flares like that at the edge is not going to especially endear itself to me. (I prefer carrying a slate in my backpack, and anything which sticks out like that complicates sliding it in and out)

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 02-14-2010 at 10:15 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The title is a little deceptive. We don't have a price (any more than me stating that I'm between 4' and 8' tells you how tall I am), and June has been the expected month of release a couple of months. Maybe just "... gets official specs". I was actually looking forward to discovering what the final price was when I clicked.

This would be a sorry time to release a tablet that won't support SDXC. It's certainly not clear by their spec sheet that they will.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Well, after exFAT was chosen as the standard file system for SDXC it was clear support was always going to be spotty, honestly... (and I'm not prepared to especially hold it against devices)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Well, after exFAT was chosen as the standard file system for SDXC it was clear support was always going to be spotty, honestly... (and I'm not prepared to especially hold it against devices)
I'm a little less sophisticated when it comes to knowing the internals of the spec or why they matter -- all I really care about is the max size. And a 32GB limit doesn't really strike me as a great idea for a media tablet purchased in mid 2010.

Even if there were a good reason not to hold it against the device-maker's on some personal level, I'd have to hold a limitation like that against the device. I'm not really a buy a new device every year kinda guy.
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The title is a little deceptive. We don't have a price (any more than me stating that I'm between 4' and 8' tells you how tall I am), and June has been the expected month of release a couple of months. Maybe just "... gets official specs". I was actually looking forward to discovering what the final price was when I clicked.
Sorry David, I can't change the title now...

If it helps, knowing the specs and the range, you can can narrow down the price.

I'd say that we could get the base PixelQi display, 16G, No 3g for $500, 32G $650 and up to $800 for 3G connectivity.

What this range tells you is that they want to match iPad pricing (low $300 will be for the LCD model) so you can expect price and features to match, (except for flash memory)

Also Keep in mind that they are still negotiating with carriers....

I might have a chance to chat with the CEO very soon, I'll ask about the SD spec.

June is a bit late to the party for me, and there will probably be additional setbacks...

We'll hear from Asus/MSI before...
Old 02-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
Marseille
Guru

No worries about the title. I just thought I'd mention it and try and save someone else a little disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKeeper View Post
I'd say that we could get the base PixelQi display, 16G, No 3g for $500, 32G $650 and up to $800 for 3G connectivity.

What this range tells you is that they want to match iPad pricing (low $300 will be for the LCD model) so you can expect price and features to match, (except for flash memory)
You seem to believe that the price range covers different models. I'm not clear from the technoloholik link which seems to be the source of that price range that that is the case.

The only mention of additional models is a non-3g model for regions (India) where 3g doesn't really exist. I interpret the price range not as a range for low end models to high end models, but as a "gee, here's where we think this one device will fall between."

Quote:
I might have a chance to chat with the CEO very soon, I'll ask about the SD spec.
Thanks, that info would be welcomed.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Also Keep in mind that they are still negotiating with carriers....
For 3G data plans? Any idea who they are talking with?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
DrDk
DrDk began at the beginning.

Device: A81
Question Reality?

I hope all this renewed activity (New look website & actual specs) builds up to a release date!
I for one haven't heard of any other device that suits my needs (I want to read fiction in bed and read PDF's& colour articles while travelling for business.)
That screen seems just what I need in terms of contrast / Epaper and size
DrDk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
BKeeper
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
For 3G data plans? Any idea who they are talking with?
The are just offering the hardware, so that they can use their distribution channel. (and probably get the retail price down if you agree to a 3G data plan).

I think they should be talking to Vodafone/Orange (at least) (Since O2/Telefonica will do whatever it's necessary to get the iPad....) Vodafone should be receptive... They are getting serious about ebook distribution.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Here's a great article on the Pixel Qi screen (3Qi pronunced 3 chee) with everything you'd ever want to know:

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...forever?page=1

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-16-2010 at 10:48 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
1) PixelQi screen: 160h of battery life with the pixelQi display in B/W
It says 140hr audio. Not 160hr PixelQi display.
Also, where does the price range come from. I've seen that on multiple websites, but I do not see it on the notion ink website.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #13
thomman
thomman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, ipod touch (less), PC (least)
It does have a few things going for it (compared to iPad).. 160h battery, 1080p playback, camera, USB expansion, slightly larger screen. The main negative will be the lack of applications (as Android doesnt have as many apps as iPad - does it matter is a different question) and the "pre-paid" 3G connectivity (which is not clear yet for Adam).

I will keep an eye on it.. it excites me way more than the iPad did.
thomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
thomman
thomman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, ipod touch (less), PC (least)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
It says 140hr audio. Not 160hr PixelQi display.
Also, where does the price range come from. I've seen that on multiple websites, but I do not see it on the notion ink website.
Hah.. nice catch. Wonder how long it lasts if I use it mostly to read books (they say the display has a low-power mode)

Quoting from the site:

Dual Display
A full color :LCD transmissive mode; a low-power, sunlight-readable, reflective e-paper mode; and a transflective mode, which makes the LCD display visible in sunlight, all in One! Proprietary Algorithms for automatic brightness control.

It also has "full flash" support; a great feature until Flash dies (if it ever does)
thomman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomman View Post
Hah.. nice catch. Wonder how long it lasts if I use it mostly to read books (they say the display has a low-power mode)
The low power mode still draws more power than eInk, if that tells you anything. Keep in mind that there is more to a device's power profile than just the display. You can have the lowest power screen in the world, but it won't do you any good if the CPU is sucking your battery dry.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote