Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Anyone want to join me for a summer reading challenge?

I am embarrassed to admit that I have over 100 unread books on my Sony right now. So, I have decided to do a summer reading challenge. I'll be working, and taking a course, but I'll have two weeks before camp starts and two weeks after camp starts, plus evenings, weekends, and the usual sources of free time. So I am resolving to read 50 books this summer (I am a fast reader!) Anyone want to join me? Just say how many you plan to read, then check in periodically and tell us how you're doing

Today's project: get three recent Fictionwise buys converted and loaded onto Sony so I am ready to go...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My reading comes in spurts. There are times when I just can't put my reader away and times when I hardly pick it up (except at night, before going to sleep. If I don't read before sleeping, I must be dead...)

But I wish you good luck with that!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I'll join you - I've just finished a book (which is convenient) and was made redundant so start a few days/weeks/months of job hunting tomorrow. I'd been planning a bit of reading in the garden (or the lounge if it's raining) so this would give me a bit of an incentive.

Only one question, which is when are you finishing, or what do you count as summer? I'm thinking that I'll probably aim for 50 as well, but want to make sure exactly what the timescale is first
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i wish i could join you (sounds like heaven !) but sadly, summer is my busiest work time. so i fear my reading time will actually diminish. if i'm lucky, i might read half that amount, and even then, i'm being optimistic.

but i like the idea ! keep us posted on your progress.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am defining summer as beginning now, since I am done school, and ending the day after labor day (when school resumes). Teacher summer, as opposed to calendar summer
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i wish i could join you (sounds like heaven !) but sadly, summer is my busiest work time. so i fear my reading time will actually diminish. if i'm lucky, i might read half that amount, and even then, i'm being optimistic.

but i like the idea ! keep us posted on your progress.

Me too! All of our less complicated kids come in during the summer break in order to get their annual evals without missing school, so it is busy busy busy. Add to that trying to get my jewelry business going, and it is madness. I read 2-3 pages last night in bed. Tim said, "I haven't seen you reading lately." It's because I fall into bed and lose consciousness from being so exhausted. I hope to finish The Memory of Earth by the end of the month, which I started over Memorial Day weekend.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am defining summer as beginning now, since I am done school, and ending the day after labor day (when school resumes). Teacher summer, as opposed to calendar summer
Labor Day? Sorry, in the UK and too lazy to look it up. I'm imagining the end of August or beginning of September though, assuming your schools are similar to ours!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard

Labor day is the first Monday in September. School starts here the day after Labor day, traditionally
Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
ruth1304
Addict

Quote:
Labor day is the first Monday in September. School starts here the day after Labor day, traditionally
Thank you I had already looked up memorial day from a thread I saw earlier.

In that case I think 50 is a good target. I'm also not too busy at the moment, and if the good weather continues here I'm planning to spend part of every day in the garden reading, but I think I'll be forced to slow down a bit next week.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
I am embarrassed to admit that I have over 100 unread books on my Sony right now. ...
Embarrassed? Why?? Is there a MRer who doesn't have a TBR list that long--or longer?

Anyway, good luck and have fun with your challenge! Wow--50 books, that's a lot....
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlparker View Post
Embarrassed? Why?? Is there a MRer who doesn't have a TBR list that long--or longer?
mine is MUCH longer.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:07 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I'll take this challenge -- though my books won't be entirely electronic books, since I participate in a book swapping group and I need to keep up with my obligations there. My personal goal will be 40 books between 14 June and 8 September. That will be a little bit of stretch for me as I'm averaging 10.5 books a month this year. (Hmmm... maybe I can find some short books?)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth1304 View Post
Labor Day? Sorry, in the UK and too lazy to look it up. I'm imagining the end of August or beginning of September though, assuming your schools are similar to ours!
Now you know how confusing I used to find "Bank Monday" holidays.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard

Okay, 2/50 done! But I am a little embarrassed to post the titles as they were somewhat on the 'trash' side...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #15
ruth1304
Addict

Quote:
Okay, 2/50 done! But I am a little embarrassed to post the titles as they were somewhat on the 'trash' side...
I've read 6/50 - but don't worry, mostly not classics, although this does include King Solomon's Mines which is the book club read this month. I've got The Woman in White on my reading list though, and that will probably slow me down!