Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
thfc2008
thfc2008 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Error when opening lit file

Help......

Just bought a MS Reader format book from Fictionwise for my Sony reader, thinking I could use my ABC Lit to convert.

But when I try to open the file from ABC Lit it says "error occured".

Any suggestions/help much appreciated!

Thanks

Keith
thfc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
ABC lit only works with non DRM lit files so you'll have to either just buy non protected ones or removing the DRM yourself if it's legal in your country...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
ConvertLIT (or ConvertLIT GUI, which I prefer) will remove the DRM. It can also "explode" the LIT into an OEB ebook, but you are better off using Calibre to convert directly from DRM-free LIT to LRF or to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Yep calibre is definitely the way to go, I do that myself
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfc2008 View Post
Help......

Just bought a MS Reader format book from Fictionwise for my Sony reader, thinking I could use my ABC Lit to convert.

But when I try to open the file from ABC Lit it says "error occured".

Any suggestions/help much appreciated!

Thanks

Keith
ABC Amber LIT converter is based on old code that has bugs. The best thing to do is uninstall it to get back the wasted disk space. Use CaonvertLIT to remove the DRM and then use lit2lrf to convert the LIT into LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #6
thfc2008
thfc2008 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Many thanks for the help folks.

Calibre was refusing to convert the file and and I couldn't get ConvertLit to work properly which was driving me mad.

Rebooted, and ConvertLit opened up fine, which extracted the DRM'd file into a nice PDF for me.

What a hassle.............I had no idea it would be such a pain to buy an MS Reader file.......was hard enough work having to remember my sign on for that so it could be authorised/downloaded.

I regard myself as slightly more techy than the average person and this took me an hour so can't believe anyone in their right mind would buy an ebook at the moment until they sort these formats out.
thfc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
As wallcraft suggested, ConvertLIT GUI (do a google search for it - it's the first link) makes it a very quick and easy task to strip the DRM from MS lit files.

To use it run ReaderKeyRecoveryTool first. This only needs to be done once.

Then you just run ConvertLIT Gui and use the Downconvert section of the program to strip the DRM. The options are fairly self explanatory. You can downconvert multiple LIT files at once too.

Then you simply import the downconverted LIT files into calibre and work from there...

The whole process of stripping the DRM takes a couple of minutes at most.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thfc2008 View Post
Rebooted, and ConvertLit opened up fine, which extracted the DRM'd file into a nice PDF for me.
That's not possible ConvertLIT does not have anything to do with PDF. All it does is remove the DRM from MS Reader files and/or explode MS Reader files into their base componants. PDF is not a base component of an MS Reader file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote