Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #61
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
why would they care whether someone downloaded the book directly onto a Kindle vs PC/USB?
Some of it is data related. When Amazon does the download, not only do they store data (how many checkouts, how much was read) they also get direct access to the reader's email. Every time I finish a kindle checkout from my library, I get an offer to "buy" the book from Amazon.

Some books still are epub only, but I think there are fewer that have that problem.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #62
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
In my state, there were privacy concerns about Kindle OD library downloads. Amazon as a third party has access to a person's library checkouts/history. This went against local statutes. Apparently, what we read through the library is top secret.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #63
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And they wonder why Amazon is so big now.
The thinking is "our product is so great, people will jump through hoops to get it".
No, they think nobody would buy their product, if it is as easy to borrow it as to buy it (that not every book is available in any quantity etc. they simply don't recognize). It's the same logic with which they count each pirated book as a lost sale... Libraries are not partners in this view, but enemies or competing businesses. I think looking how big publishers interact with libraries tells all one wants to know of how they really think about culture and contributing to knowledge.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:39 PM   #64
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In my state, there were privacy concerns about Kindle OD library downloads. Amazon as a third party has access to a person's library checkouts/history. This went against local statutes. Apparently, what we read through the library is top secret.
Some librarians had big problems when Kindle lending started. I remember rants being posted to blogs and YouTube.

EDIT: Here's one of the rants I remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Some of it is data related. When Amazon does the download, not only do they store data (how many checkouts, how much was read) they also get direct access to the reader's email. Every time I finish a kindle checkout from my library, I get an offer to "buy" the book from Amazon.
That has nothing to do with the Penguin download by USB/friction deal as those books are still serviced via Amazon. It was one of Penguin's original objections though as they wanted Amazon to share the info (including contact info IIRC) with publishers.

EDIT: I just checked out a Penguin book and it appears the USB requirement is no more. No idea how long it's been gone, perhaps it's an effect of PRH unifying Penguin's and Random Houses library eBook terms.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-07-2016 at 09:33 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #65
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Thank any and all deities for Overdrive

As I live in Montreal Quebec where even the paper books of popular fiction (romance, fantasy, scifi, mystery etc) are very sparse and I am also agoraphobic to the point of panic attacks even when going to the grocery store (pain in the butt ... lol) Overdrive has finally opened up a library option to me.

I stopped using the brick and mortar libraries here when I could only find two or three books by my favorite authors, and those were not available without putting in a hold (not even current books at the time).

My experience in Toronto was much different as I could order a hold delivered the the branch nearest me from any of the libraries in the system. I'm sure the French speaking patrons found themselves as frustrated as I find myself here in Montreal. Perhaps with a library system that has a lot of funding and that was already moving towards meeting the varied needs of it's patrons Overdrive is superfluous. For those of us like myself, Overdrive is my only library alternative. It is very nice to be able to borrow an audiobook or ebook in English without having to pay non-resident fees.

I feel that libraries which meet the multiple needs of their communities will flourish. Perhaps more "special attention" collections such as the Toronto Public Library's Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation & Fantasy will help keep people going.

If ebook publishers made it easier for the smaller local libraries to be able to afford their own collections perhaps it would be different.

For smaller communities Overdrive is a good alternative. What would be even better would be a global or at least country wide service.

Overdrive is like a 24 hour bookmobile that we connect to at our leisure.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #66
Inferno
Connoisseur
Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Inferno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In the Netherlands, libraries mostly have books in Dutch. If a title is not translated chances are small that they have it. If it's not recent, chances are slim to none. For older works in the public domain, they just link to Gutenberg. OK, Gutenberg has the text, but they hardly have what I would call proper ebooks (including front matter, etc....)
It is actually not difficult to make a nicely formatted ebook (epub or mobi) from a well edited Gutenberg text or html file. All it requires is a knowledge of HTML and a bit of time.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 PM   #67
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
You said it. There is "one" main repository. Our libraries will need more and more OD blood in the future, like addiction. And addiction is no good.

I naturally try to support local library as much as possible. I do not even mind if the city increases taxes to keep my library independent from corporate take over like that.

I never used OD myself, and I highly discourage my friends using them, for a reason.
If those in the province of Quebec felt that way it would be horrid. It is only since Overdrive was offered that I have been able to make use of our library system. As an anglophone I found trying to use the physical library branches horrid. It was impossible to find more than a couple of rows of english fiction in any local branch I had access to. Branch to branch borrowing here seems to be unheard of (note that I have not used the physical library in about eight years) and to make matters worse, there is no way to reserve books from another branch online.

The ability to borrow books online is also good for those who do not go out much (somewhat agoraphobic here) and while I would wish that the Overdrive library I have access to had more books I will be grateful for what seems to be a good beginning.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:28 PM   #68
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
If those in the province of Quebec felt that way it would be horrid.
Hopefully since starting the thread in January, loviedovie's become more loviedovie towards eBook borrowing.

Of course, since you lack the Kindle-format borrowing option in Canada, the objections loviedovie had regarding Amazon don't apply.

Quote:
I am talking about one corporation dominating our libraries.
Since you wrote this in January, our local public library has added OneClickDigital eBooks while remaining in the county Overdrive consortium. I don't have statistics, but it does seem to me that Overdrive's admittedly high market share is declining.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:12 PM   #69
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Here in NYC the public library uses OD, but also allows for Adobe DRM epubs. It's what inspired me to go and get a library card. I'd had one as a kid, but at some point it lapsed and I'd never bothered to renew it. Then they revamped their systems and changed things and the old card I had became totally useless even for a renewal. Of course cards are 'free' so I'm not sure why this even happened.

I don't think OD is going to become some evil company. They'd have to provide a service that no one else could, and never would, be able to. As it stands should they turn evil libraries have the option of ditching them for alternatives. Including doing it themselves.

Of course since this discussion seems to be the brain child of someone who may not fully understand how libraries are already adapting to digital content, and Overdrive I guess this is essentially irrelevant
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #70
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
I am talking about one corporation dominating our libraries.
As a librarian, I honestly find this idea to be laughable. Libraries deal with a number of vendors, OverDrive being just one of many. Baker & Taylor is the primary p-book vendor for many, if not most, public libraries and yet no one fears they're dominating libraries. In terms of e-Books, I think publishers are way more of a concern for public libraries since they are the ones who set the prices and term limits for e-Books. Also, there are other e-Book providers besides OverDrive. OD isn't perfect but I really don't think they're going to take over libraries.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #71
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Someone who actually knows what they are talking about and is qualified to speak in this thread. Cool.

Thanks for responding to the thread, faithbw. We should've asked you to begin with -- I forgot we had an actual librarian here.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #72
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I see here in the U.K. (no doubt fuelled by local authority economies) our County library has ceased their use of Overdrive and gone over to the Aussie BorrowBox for their partner.

At first sight though the books available seem more limited.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #73
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Someone who actually knows what they are talking about and is qualified to speak in this thread. Cool.

Thanks for responding to the thread, faithbw. We should've asked you to begin with -- I forgot we had an actual librarian here.
No problem!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #74
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
The great library system here and my university still uses OD. I don't have an issue with it— yet. I use it mostly for audiobooks as I'm a slow reader. But this could change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote