Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #121
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
I just got the NTG yesterday and read for the first time last night. With the NST I used a MightyBright clip on light and while it worked well, it tended to light up the room to a certain extent. With the glowlight only the screen is illuminated. Although the DW never complained about the MightyBright, I think she likes the NTG better.

So for me, it was worth the upgrade just for that part. But then I'm a gadget hound so I probably would have upgraded anyway. And the contrast while noticeable is not a factor for me and the NTG is perfectly readable.
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #122
inkyness
Enthusiast
inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I ended up exchanging my Glowlight nook for the standard version. The light itself worked good and I can see how it would be perfect for some people, but personally, the loss of sharpness and contrast compared to my Kindle 3 (which I'm giving to a friend) bothered me too much. Even if both Nook models were the same price, I would prefer the slightly increased clarity of the non-lit one to the convenience of a built-in light.

I do love my new non-lit Nook though.
inkyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #123
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyness View Post
I ended up exchanging my Glowlight nook for the standard version. The light itself worked good and I can see how it would be perfect for some people, but personally, the loss of sharpness and contrast compared to my Kindle 3 (which I'm giving to a friend) bothered me too much. Even if both Nook models were the same price, I would prefer the slightly increased clarity of the non-lit one to the convenience of a built-in light.

I do love my new non-lit Nook though.
Just an aside, what what prompted your change from Kindle to Nook?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #124
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
So I ended up taking mine back. I was reading one night and I noticed a slight scratch in the screen in one spot and a little spot as well. The only time you notice it is when the light is on and it is almost like a light brides missing a piece e.g.; the light shines through the scratch and spot. It wasn't always noticeable but for a new device, I should have a flawless screen. I am fairly certain didn't cause the scratches, even though I didn't notice it right away. It was in a case when not in use.

The question is, has anyone noticed the screen protector is MORE susceptible to scratches? I really liked it but am sticking with my Kindle touch with lighted case until I hear more responses.

Last edited by nremondelli; 05-08-2012 at 11:17 PM.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #125
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
What will happen if the screen protector is removed to increase contrast?
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #126
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
You would likely loose the even lighting. The screen protector serves two purposes - 1. to protect the screen and 2. to distribute the light from the leds evenly across the screen. One of the Gizmodo editors dropped something on his NTG and the spot where it hit now has a bright area where the light is "leaking".

http://gizmodo.com/5907053/you-reall...ouch/gallery/1
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #127
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
I think you'll find that the 'screen protector' is the light distribution device; there must be one and I'll bet that's it.

I have both 'Touches' and never thought the original needed an anti-glare screen. I have them on my Nook color & tablet but have seen no need for them on any of the eink readers I have owned.

If the 'screen protector' is easily scratched with the result that reading is severely affected, then, maybe the GL isn't so great after all. I am concerned that this may be true. If it is, I'll take mine back within the 15-day money back window. I like it a lot but not that much. Tomorrow I'll see if I get hold of someone at B&N.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #128
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, it' really can't be called a "screen protector" unless it actually protects the screen. can it?!
And of course it therefor needs to be replacemable. Is it?
If not, then it's not for me. Bummer!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #129
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
As far as I know it is not a screen protector at all, it is an antiglare coating/layer. It isn's something removable. It is there so that when the glow light is on there isn't just a massive amount of glare all over the screen because of the angle of the glow lights.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #130
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
As far as I know it is not a screen protector at all, it is an antiglare coating/layer. It isn's something removable. It is there so that when the glow light is on there isn't just a massive amount of glare all over the screen because of the angle of the glow lights.
Well then, you have to love marketing. From their website:

"Built-in, anti-glare screen protector for crisp, clear reading - even in bright sun"
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #131
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, their marketing of this stinks! It's not a "screen protector" at all, but rather an anti-glare coating (that lessens contrast) that in no way at all protects the screen!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #132
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I received mine on Monday, and am quite happy with it. I am taking note of the concerns about the glowlight layer being potentially delicate, and just being cautious. I plan to keep mine and am hoping for the best!
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #133
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Yeah, their marketing of this stinks! It's not a "screen protector" at all, but rather an anti-glare coating (that lessens contrast) that in no way at all protects the screen!
Most eink readers have the eink module's glass surface exposed. If it is scratched or cracked, the eink display would need to be replaced.
Perhaps this new thing is part of the casing or separate internal piece which could be replaced more cheaply at the repair center.
So it might be a screen protector after all, just a fragile, non-user-replaceable, multi-function one....

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #134
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Perhaps this new thing is part of the casing or separate internal piece which could be replaced more cheaply at the repair center.
I sure hope you're right!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #135
gatotoo
gatotoo began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Wow!!

I've had a trusty Cybook Gen3 since they first came out...I think late 2007. Great e-ink display and has done well through hundreds of ebooks. I've also used a Kindle, a Sony and a Cybook Orizon.

Just received my Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light and it is a Wow!!! Everything first rate including the Wi-Fi, screen, controls, user friendly interface and outstanding battery life even using the light, which is excellent.

Can't hardly put the thing down!!
gatotoo is offline   Reply With Quote