Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #106
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Why don't you stand up like a man and quit lying. You couldn't have comapred them side by side in a store you simple minded troll with nothing else to do in your sorry life but try and stir up toruble.
You should stop insulting people that do not share the same opinion as you do. You are indeed being ridiculous right now.

And before you ask, I am standing up. Like a woman.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #107
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Great post Azazel, I defer to your reasoning.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #108
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I was looking at a Nook Glow last night at B&N, and I thought the bit of light across the top of the screen was a bit distracting. Does anyone here with one feel the same way? If so, have you gotten used to it?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #109
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Moderator Notice
Please feel free to disagree with a person's opinions, or dispute their facts or data, providing you do so politely. Likewise, please address your criticisms to those opinions, facts and data rather than the person. Refer to the MobileRead Guidelines, specifically the full text of the very first item. When posting, your attention to the Guidelines is required. Name calling ("troll") and insults are not allowed.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #110
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
Great post Azazel, I defer to your reasoning.
It doesn't mean my reasoning will bare any resemblence to reality, but I at least think it will. I am also rather intrigued by real user experiences for battery life. No matter what, battery life is still going to be way better than even the best tablets, but I do think the people who use the glow light most of the time are going to see a big hit to battery life, especially if they read a lot per day and have the brightness up high. Those who only use it at night and/or occasionally at lower brightness levels might not even notice a real difference in battery life.

That is my guesstimate anyway.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #111
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
I was looking at a Nook Glow last night at B&N, and I thought the bit of light across the top of the screen was a bit distracting. Does anyone here with one feel the same way? If so, have you gotten used to it?
Yes it is distracting, and I haven't adjusted to it yet.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #112
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
When I first ordered, the shipping date was listed as May 16th, but got an update today and it's due for delivery Monday! I'm excited.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #113
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
It doesn't mean my reasoning will bare any resemblence to reality, but I at least think it will.
Well, it makes perfect sense and has the ring of truth, so that's a good start!

Obviously having those lights on is going to cut down on battery life; the only question is how much. Considering that in use they are on constantly (unlike the e-ink screen that, from what I understand, essentially only uses power on page turns and refreshes), you have to think it's going to be somewhat significant, even if they are super-efficient LED lights. So I'd be surprised if it isn't a significant hit.

I'm not at all saying that it's not a good feature to have. It sounds very handy, as long as the screen contrast and sharpness isn't affected too much.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #114
mollyjp
mollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watchmollyjp is clearly one to watch

Device: Nook Color
Got my new STG two days ago....lucked into one in a store that had received two boxes...and I LOVE IT! I sold my Nook Color because I only use it for reading. I could not have made a better choice. I love how light it is and that I can use it at night without a clip on light. I love being rid of the LCD screen on my color and the poor battery life. The lights at the top don't bother me at all. Well done Barnes and Noble...this is the perfect reader for me: lightweight, long battery, touch screen, eInk and able to be read in the dark!! I am smitten!
mollyjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #115
irandamay
irandamay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad 3, iPhone 5S
I just upgraded yesterday from a first gen Nook with a clunky Lyra lighted cover (the one that had the light arm and the batteries in the spine). I think it looks fantastic... and so small and light! Although that part is not exactly new, it's "new to me". It looked like there were only 3 boxes in the cabinet when he took one out for me, and he said he didn't think they'd have anymore by today so it was good that I'd come in then.

The light at the top is a little distracting (not actually the light itself but because it's brighter up there, it gives an illusion I think of the area right below it having a shadow), and the contrast is indeed not quite as good, but I do 95% of my reading in bed in the dark, so I'm pretty happy about this purchase. I had been on the fence about switching to a Kindle for my next reader, but this was just too perfect for me.
irandamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Obviously having those lights on is going to cut down on battery life; the only question is how much. Considering that in use they are on constantly (unlike the e-ink screen that, from what I understand, essentially only uses power on page turns and refreshes), you have to think it's going to be somewhat significant, even if they are super-efficient LED lights. So I'd be surprised if it isn't a significant hit.
But the light isn't in use "constantly" - it's in use when you want it to be. I have a Kindle with a lighted cover (power from the Kindle) and honestly, moderate use of the lighted cover has no significant impact on the Kindle's battery life. A light isn't something that you use all the time (unless, I guess, you only read at night ); it's something that's nice to have on the occasions that you do use it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #117
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
HarryT:

I think we're gonna find that we GL users will leave the light on most of the time (see posts 77 & 104). The GL is so much clearer to read with the light that, except for full sunlight, I predict that 'light on' will be the norm -- the viewing-time hit is a small price to pay for improved clarity.

Joe
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #118
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
I traded my NST for a NST with Glow this past weekend. A store near me had one that someone had reserved but backed out of. I noticed the contrast difference right away, but I would call it negligible. Another customer didn't notice it until I pointed it out comparing the two NST models side by side. I think certain fonts make it less apparent as well.

I could be wrong, but the page turns seem noticibly faster than my NST. Maybe it's my imagination...

I was very pleased with the light. I started reading long ago on Palm PDAs until the first Nook came along, so I have missed having a backlit display. I like that the default mode is Off on the light, and disagree with the idea that most will read with it on. I think it is perfectly readable with no light. I like that it is adjustable. I read for the first time last night in essentially total darkness and had it barely above minimum illumination and it was great. I tend to get so engrossed in what I'm reading that minor things like the slightly brighter area across the top go unnoticed.

Aside from having to set up my darn shelves again, I'm pretty happy with mine...
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #119
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But the light isn't in use "constantly" - it's in use when you want it to be.
When I said, "Considering that in use they are on constantly," I meant that when the light is in use, it is on constantly. Obviously if it's off, it isn't on, but it also isn't "in use."

I was trying to make a distinction between e-ink, which when you are reading on a page, really isn't using much power at all, whereas if you have the light on, it is constantly using power. That's all I was saying.

I agree that you don't have to use the light all the time.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #120
crashed
Connoisseur
crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch
So tempted to get the NSG, but I'm curious, for someone who already has the NST, is it worth the upgrade?

I do generally read more at night and all, and I love the idea of having a built in light as long as that top area being extra bright isn't too glaring to ignore.

Tempting
crashed is offline   Reply With Quote