Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #76
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Stupid question alert:

If reading a backlit screen does give me eyestrain, why would a screen lit from the edges not? Is because the type of light is different?

I checked out the GL a couple of days ago. From the scant tinkering that I did, it seemed impressive enough. The light would come in handy in dark metro stations where I usually end up standing next to the lit advertisement in order to use my NST. I'm employment challenged right now so I'm going to wait until I get a job and/or the price tumbles.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #77
Joe Minton
eReader
Joe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the endJoe Minton knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Sony 650, iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4, Nook: Touch/Glow/Color/Tablet
Touch/Touch Glow Comparison

I have been doing a lot of reading during the past year, at least three hours each day. Since I do most of it indoors and at all times of day, the Nook Color and Tablet get the most use. I switch between them either when comparison-reading or if a charge gets low and I wish to continue.

In fact, since both also perform well in bright northern light, they prevail over the Touch outdoors too. The only times I use the Nook Touch is when I must read in direct sunlight.

It occurred to me that the new "Glow" version might allow me to take only one reader wherever I might go or find myself. It certainly would be lighter and smaller than the Touch/Tablet combination I sometimes carry.

As soon as my local B&N had a sample, I took my Touch and made a comparison -- which was interesting and intriguing. First, the Glow, with its light off, had ever-so-slightly less contrast than my Touch; the background color was a little more tan in color; neither were completely white. Second, with the light on, the Glow was much clearer; the contrast was much better -- it was easier to read, hands-down easier to read. I had to have one.

I became the first on the waiting list -- brought it home yesterday, the 30th, and have been running it alongside the 'plain-old' Touch and the Tablet.

I have used my new Glow from full darkness to direct sunlight. With the light on (25-50%), it is completely superior to the Touch -- except in direct sunlight. Direct sun completely nullifies the the advantage of the lighting (at any percentage level) and the slight contrast edge goes back to the Touch. The difference isn't great but does favor the Touch.

If I were going to read exclusively in direct sun, I would stick with the cheaper, simpler and likely more reliable Touch. But who does that? Besides, in every other lighting environment, I found the Glow to be the better reader. It is not perfect though.

At low level lighting (below about 25%) and in the dark, the illumination is uneven: First, there is an understandable brighter band of light just below the LEDs at the top. It is a small difference and I soon got used to it. Just below this band is a darker one. Their proximity makes both more prominent to my eyes. There is also a faint darker area about the size of a quarter (but roughly shaped) on the right side of the screen and about half-way down. Finally, there is a vague, irregular but full width darker area near the bottom. The differences are very slight and I soon forget about them when reading. Although, I shall follow up on this with B&N and let Y'all know what I learn.

The screen of the Glow is sharp and clear in the dark or a dimly lit room (think: watching television). However, there is no way that it can equal the clarity and sharpness of my Tablet under those same conditions. It weighs much less though which can mean a lot when reading in bed. I am not saying that it isn't good in the dark, it is very good in the dark, but, the Color and Tablet are better.

My only complaint is that the display lighting is slightly uneven. I am going to ignore this small detail and keep my new Nook Touch Glow. I am already becoming fond of it and will likely make it my go anywhere reader.

Hope this helps -- Joe Minton

Last edited by Joe Minton; 05-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Joe Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #78
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
Stupid question alert:

If reading a backlit screen does give me eyestrain, why would a screen lit from the edges not?
For the same reason that reading a peice of paper with a lamp over to the side does not. Unless of course that DOES, then this probably will, too.
It's a fact that some folk find backlit screens perfectly comfortable.

I suspect, without any science to back up my hunch, that for me, it's the difference between having soft light reflected off a diffuse near-white surface vs. staring into a half a million little specular light sources.

Last edited by ApK; 05-01-2012 at 08:48 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #79
ogghead
Junior Birdman
ogghead began at the beginning.

I held the Nook Glow side-by-side with the Kindle 3 (non-touch). The Nook is less clear. It's obvious.

Go do it yourself. Try it. Stop wishing and just do the test.

I don't own either device. I would never buy anything--anything--from Amazon. The Nook seems great and is probably perfect for many readers. But there are fanboys here claiming there's no contrast issue, and that's a lie.

And Rocket-whatever-your-name-is, please just grow up. You're ridiculous.
ogghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #80
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogghead View Post
I held the Nook Glow side-by-side with the Kindle 3 (non-touch). The Nook is less clear. It's obvious.

I don't own either device. I would never buy anything--anything--from Amazon. The Nook seems great and is probably perfect for many readers. But there are fanboys here claiming there's no contrast issue, and that's a lie.

A little curious where you were able to do this. What store stocks both (I thought the glow was just in B&N at this point)?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 AM   #81
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
I don't doubt you, it makes sense that the extra layer would ruin contrast a bit, but I do belive a fair comparison should be the non-Glow to the Glow-Nook, using the same font and other settings. Kindle use a relatively bold font and many think that because of that contrast is actually better than it is.
I'm not saying this is always the case , but I have seen/heard it enough times to know it's till true for many.

I'm looking forward to comparing the two Nooks side by side myself, because contrast is really big deal to me, and I'm somewhat skeptical to this extra layer on the screen even though I like the idea of a build in light.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:33 AM   #82
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:

So we should take the opinion of someone who has 6 posts on the forum over the guy that actual reviews devices for a living like Nate. And has seen almost all ereader devices that have come out in the last few years. You can read his post here where he states that he can see no difference in screen quality between Kindle touch
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...t-has-arrived/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #83
mrtibbs
E-book Genius
mrtibbs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 950
Its been Day 3 since i've had mine and I love it. This is coming from a KT and a PRS-950. The contrast is not a big deal and hardly noticeable.
mrtibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #84
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I hear this complaint often. But seriously what kind of major upgrades do people expect from a device, which its main feature is to mimick a paper book??? Contrast even before pearl screens was more than enough for text.

I often find it silly that so many people are concerned about contrast when it concerns black and white text or how to organize books etc. The fact that I can put hundreds or thousands of paper books on one little device that micks paper is a major selling point for me.(sd card or not doesnt matter) I really do not see the need for much more than that.

I checked out the Nook Glow and its contrast is just as good as paper text. Far as I am concerned as long as it readable there should be no complaints about this sort of thing.
The readability is a function of lighting and it's not silly. I've read twenty-thirty year old mass market paperbacks that were readable in dim light when kindles and nooks are not. You're right that the main feature is to mimic paper, until ereaders look as good as a brand new hardcover there is room for improvement. Just because you don't care about eink living up to its potential doesn't mean that others shouldn't or won't.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #85
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As soon as mine arrives today I will compare it to my current Nook STR. If I can I'll post and share a picture. I've compared the Nook STR to the Kindle in the past, and the screens looked the same.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #86
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
As soon as mine arrives today I will compare it to my current Nook STR. If I can I'll post and share a picture. I've compared the Nook STR to the Kindle in the past, and the screens looked the same.
That's because those screens are the same.

The Glow, however has modifications that could affect the appearance.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #87
haydnfan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's because those screens are the same.

The Glow, however has modifications that could affect the appearance.
I know they are the same, I'm stating it to invoke transitivity. If Nook STR and the Kindle look the same, and Nook STR and the Nook Glow look the same then the Nook Glow and the Kindle look the same.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #88
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I know they are the same, I'm stating it to invoke transitivity. If Nook STR and the Kindle look the same, and Nook STR and the Nook Glow look the same then the Nook Glow and the Kindle look the same.
Ah. Shopping Math. I get ya now.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #89
haydnfan
Guru

Alright I took these pics. I can tell the difference between the two when side by side but it is subtle. The glow has slightly less contrast.

Last edited by haydnfan; 07-11-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #90
haydnfan
Guru

And I apologize for the second one being slightly out of focus. Anyway it's pretty subtle. If you don't put them side by side you would never notice.