Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
JeweledSunshine
JeweledSunshine began at the beginning.

Device: Generic
Red face Calibre closes after clicking "Add Books" button

I'm sorry if this is a repeat. I read through quite a few threads and I was not able to find one that matched the problem I'm having.

I installed Calibre (0.8.19) on my computer (Windows XP Version 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647 :Service Pack 3). I was able to add all of my books without a problem during multiple sessions throughout the day. Each time I added books I launched the application, added the books, then closed the application again.

Later that day, I installed Mozilla Firefox and Avast Antivirus system.

The next day, I tried to go back and add a new book to Calibre. It opened the Windows navigation window but then abruptly closed out the Calibre application.

I uninstalled Calibre and cleared all of the registry entries that I could find. I reinstalled Calibre and it still did the same thing. I uninstalled Calibre again, cleared out the registry entries, then I uninstalled Mozilla and Avast and cleared out the registry entries for those applications.

I reinstalled Calibre and it still closes when I click the "Add Books" button. I discovered, however, that the drop-down arrow will let me add books. I don't know if the drop-down arrow worked before all of the re-installations or not.

I have now updated to 0.8.20 in the hopes that it would fix the button, but it has not.

Through my reading on this forum, I discovered the following string - calibre-debug -g 1> log.txt 2>&1 and some instructions to enter this in the run line to open Calibre and then to look at the log.txt file and post it here.

I pasted the string in the run line and clicked OK. It opened a command window that showed "Starting up . . . " and then showed Started up in 2.71900010101"

I then did a search for a log.txt file and my computer found, well, everything that had to do with .txt and logs, but nothing that seemed to be from Calibre.

I have a pretty good idea that, well, I don't know what I'm doing well enough to start messing with debug strings and whatnot but can anyone tell me where I might find this log file so that I can post it here and hopefully get the Add Books button to work properly again?

**UPDATE**

Ok, I found the place in Calibre to restart in debug mode and here is the information from the file it said would be created after I closed Calibre.

The file is named tmprzbzq7 . . .

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.8.20
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3
Windows
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 25.2190001011

:::sigh::: Somehow, I don't think that's going to be as helpful as I'd imagined . . .

Last edited by JeweledSunshine; 09-25-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Grammar and clarity
JeweledSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre makes very littl use of the Registry and it also leaves the Library and settings intact.

There is a (Windows, normally) hidden folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_log_on_name_here\Application Data\calibre.

The folder is also reachable (when Calibre is running) from Preference: Miscellaneous: Open Configuration Folder.

Deleting the folder before re-installing, cause ALL Calibre settings to be forgotten. The Library is intact,

You will need to point the new installation towards the existing library.

Download a Fresh copy of Calibre from the Official site. Do NOT use a Download Manager program to do so.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Have you seen this:

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ck-on-anything
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #4
JeweledSunshine

Thank you very much for this information! I'll give it a try.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
JeweledSunshine

Woo Hoo!!! It's fixed!! :::happy dance::: Thank you very much!!
Advert