Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
domagoj
domagoj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Screen issue... again?

First of all, hello everyone on forums, being the best concerning e-readers. I need some help, if you could check does your kindle leaves white stripes where selection line passed?
Like this: http://img228.imageshack.us/i/dsc0001ms.jpg

Page scrolling or ALT+G refresh clears them however.

Similar "memory effect" preceded malfunction on my last Kindle 3 which Amazon replaced *no question asked*. They really got me as a future customer, great service.

Replaced Kindle: http://img27.imageshack.us/i/image027ef.jpg

I am worried, though. In both occasions I carried it in cold weather, some -5C, but it never operated outside, only carried inside of bag.
Firmware is 3.0.2 (5532xxxxxx) , cannot update.
Please share some thought.

Last edited by domagoj; 02-03-2011 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Links updated
domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 AM   #2
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
My understanding is that this is the fundamental nature of e-ink.

It's the reason why when reading it does the full screen flash to eliminate any ghosting, but for menu's they only "wipe" small sections to give a more responsive UI.

So, sounds like everything is operating as per the way it should.

SM
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Try pressing Alt G to refresh the screen.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The second K3 looks like the screen is broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
the first picture is of normal eink behavior. as stated its an effect of "partial refresh" to make the UI operate faster. I always find it interesting that the partial refresh leaves an area whiter than the normal background- why not just make the normal background that white?

the 2nd one that was replaced was a broken display
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
domagoj
domagoj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks everyone, looks like Kindle's running smoothly. Anyway, first one wasn't hit or anything, that's why i was worried.
domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote