Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want to buy a Bookeen eink reader?
I would pay no more than $200.00USD 20 21.05%
I would buy two at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $200.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would pay no more than $250.00USD 13 13.68%
I would buy two at no more than $250.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $250.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $300.00USD 16 16.84%
I would buy two at no more than $300.00USD each 1 1.05%
I would buy three at no more than $300.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would pay no more than $350.00USD 25 26.32%
I would buy two at no more than $350.00USD each 2 2.11%
I would buy three at no more than $350.00USD each 0 0%
I would pay no more than $400.00USD 10 10.53%
I would buy two at no more than $400.00USD each 2 2.11%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Who Would Buy a Bookeen Eink Reader?

This is a follow up on an other thread.
I have received several days ago two personal replies, from M. Michaël Dahan, cofounder of Bookeen. The matter and procedures being rather complicated I have taken time to think things out before posting this thread.

First of all he thanked us for our interest in Bookeen products and went on to specify that this product was originally intended for professional use, but that he was not closed to the idea that a group of people could place an order. The functionalities requested of the product have to be formulated in a package that will affect final price. It is requested that we put forth such a document with a desired target group price knowing that a delay of four months is necessary to elaborate the product. And he wanted us to keep negociations confidential.

In a reply I informed him that here, all our conversations were 'on line' and this fact alone kept any negociation impossible. At this point I gave him further indications of who we were,the address of the site and the one of the forum on the Bookeen reader.

He answered back by saying that he knew Mobile Read very well and that it is one of the best sites on ebooks. He understands the dilemma confidentiality puts on us in regards to communications, but that for the moment our dealings should'nt be done live.(As a business person I agree and respect completely)

As for details I can share he wants three points defined.
1. The must have features. Formats, touchscreen or not, DRM implementation etc. (Remember that anything we ask has an incidence on price)
2. Target price. (Here he jokes) $50USD is not a good answer )
3. How many potential buyers.

Then he goes on to suggest that we make a poll and he reiterates the fact that Bookeen is not against a group purchase.

Well... It's up to us to decide if we want to go through. I foresee lots of hurdles, first off, what we want to integrate and second, the number of people interested. Then if we're enough and that we manage to democratically unite our voices and requests, we will surely have to set guaranties up front because no serious company can safely deal with an unorganized group as ours. Then we'll build the road as needed...

Take a look at the poll. For now I only put up the prices so as to put a number on the people in favor of owning a Bookeen eink reader. And since we can vote only once I added quantity choices for those who would like to give one. That would weigh in the balance.

After you vote I invite you to post the features you want and then in a subsequent thread I'll set a poll with the features.Then we'll make an other poll to clarify our choices. It'll be complicated but it will work.
Ihave a personal request. I want a Mobile Read logo on the thing!

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 12-12-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #2
phuata
phuata began at the beginning.

I've voted, but I'd be willing to spend a little more to incorporate all the features I'd like (long-lasting battery, expandable memory, ability to read *.txt, *.pdf, *.rtf, and *.html files, text search, and jump to any desired page). Do we also get to vote on screen size? I've read a lot of debate about that on these forums.
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Boy, this is tough. I am not sure how to vote because if it was the right price, I would buy more than one to get us over the hump so to speak, but I would buy one at another price for more features. Can I vote twice?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If we use the Sony Reader as a standard, it must have more features at the same price or the same features at a lower price. That said:

1. No DRM. Our group is too small to have anything developed for it alone.
2. Support for basic formats such as DOC, HTML, RTF (with pictures), TXT, and PDF.
3. Replacable battery or very long life battery.
4. USB interface and have it look like a USB device to the computer.
5. Organized storage -- no flat model only.
6. User defined fonts.
7. Card slot -- SD is fine.

Nice to have but not a must for me:

8. Search
9. Zoom
10. Touch screen
11. Application interface (SDK) for other program loading

Interesting but mostly useless

12. Ability to read and display prior formats such as RB, PDB, LIT

I'm sure I will slap my head as I read other posts and say, "Why didn't I put that one down."
Old 12-13-2006, 02:59 AM   #5
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Wow, okay...

Basic needs: First rule, most of the formats should allow the user to override the font choices and sizes. With that in mind, my first choice would be HTML with embedded images, with RTF and TXT also quite usable. Given the graphics support, it should also have 16 grey levels.

Less necessary, but highly desirable: I would want a good compressed format that would allow you to combine several web pages into a single file -- something like Plucker or iSilo. Likewise, besides basic graphics support (JPG and PNG), it should be able to handle archives, such as CBR and CBZ.

Finally, I am not convinced that DRM is not an option -- if this thing is already running Linux, and Pepper already has Mobipocket running on Linux for the PepperPad, that could open a lot options for some potential buyers.

Jack
Advert
Old 12-13-2006, 05:14 AM   #6
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
A noble goal, but before you make business decisions based on polls, I recommend you to read this. I'm not saying this idea will not work, just that you need to be careful.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
My fingers are crossed that this works out -- my choices would be:

1) RTF (with images), HTML, PDF support.
2) Storage card slot.
3) USB interface.
4) Replaceable battery.
5) Seach and/or Highlight facility.
6) DRM options (Not all users can or want to convert their own content).
7) A method for updating the device as necessary.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Marian
Marian is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 1 & 3, Dell Axim x51v, Iliad.
I would have to have secure Mobipocket, as I have too many ebooks in this format to just disregard. Apart from that I am quite happy to agree with what everyone else wants.
Thank you yvanterrible for your efforts on our behalf.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
I would want the following software:

ereader
mobipocket
and most of all ubook

It would also be great if I could read lit files. I also would like a dictionary.

Ellen
Old 12-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK, so I've got an Iliad already, but I'd still like to see something more "user-friendly" around, so I'd be willing to put down some more cash.
I limited my spendings to 300$ because I have to add 19% import VAT, international shipping and toll fees to that price to get my finaly purchase price in Germany...

Features:

6-8" screen, hardcover included!
SD-Card Slot
USB port (device acts as USB harddisk in Windows/other OS)
Mobile-Phone Battery (easy to replace)
Iliad-Style page-bar.
Support for HTML, TXT, RTF and perhaps PDF. Something like Mobipocket would be cool.
Suspend mode (well, every device these days can do that out of the box...apart from the Iliad, so I thought i'd better mention it...
I'm not sure about Touchscreen...it would be nice for using dictionary and for similar stuff, but I wouldn't count it in as a priority job.

If a toichscreen is added, then a calender/contacts app would be cool.
Bkuetooth would be an option, but also not really among the priorities...that would just shift it in the direction of PDA's

And: A Mobileread.com logo would be pretty cool of course...
Old 12-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Does E Ink display go without saying?

Ditto on basic features like HTML, RTF, PDF, TXT support. USB connection to PC/Mac. Storage card slot that can take up to 512Mb at least. A5 display size is good, with ability to rotate display and configure page buttons appropriately to read upper/lower half of PDFs, for example. PCMCIA slot that could take a modem, ethernet, or wireless card would be a "very nice to have."

Critical features: touchscreen (need not be wacom), search (including in PDF), Highlighting/bookmarks, some basic HWR software (e.g. Vision Objects) could be an add-on for extra cost. User-replacable battery in a standard format strongly preferred.

Most critical: Completely open-source Linux with full SDK, so we can port whatever we want to it, e.g. dotReader. This must include easy recovery to base state. JTAG support strongly preferred.

DRM is optional for me, but if we could only have one DRM choice, I would vote for MobiPocket because of the Amazon connection.

I don't really care about audio support.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
  1. RTF with TOC definitely & images as nice to have
  2. Go to page ___
  3. Bookmarks
  4. Search capability
  5. Full USB
  6. Replacable battery
  7. Hierarchal storage ability

Nice to have
  8. Dictionary
  9. Extra storage (e.g. SD card)
  10. Mobipocket
  11. User defined fonts.

As others have stated, price can vary with more/better capabilities that I want
Old 12-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I'll be commenting on your posts a little while later but first I'd like to specify two points.

First, the reader is based on a 6" black and white eink display.

Second, I think Mobipocket would be a given because of Bookeen's involvement in ebook sales. http://www.ubibooks.com/
Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 AM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Also, a built-in white LED sidelight might sell more units. E Ink doesn't support a backlight, but a lot of people seem to find the lack of integrated lighting a barrier.

And I forgot, Unicode support. (I read documents in Chinese sometimes.)
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Yeah it seems from the mainstream reviews what people most heavily critized were lack of a reading light and lack of a search feature.
Closed Thread