Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Specs of Bookeen Cybook E-Ink reader

Because we all are just dying for Bookeen to hurry up and deliver us a full-fledged E-Ink based e-reader, we can't help but mention a couple of specs that were leaked to us through MobileReader Hadrien. The new Cybook by Bookeen will have pretty much the same hardware specs like eREAD's STAReBOOK reader, and just like the STAReBOOK, it'll be conveniently light-weight (the STAReBOOk weighs only 176g vs. the Sony Reader with 250g).

If Bookeen's engineers did their job right, they'll surprise us with a very capable software. Current rumor has it that the Cybook will support Open eBook, PDF, HTML, RTF, at least one format with DRM (perhaps most likely Mobipocket (see Nat's reply)), and MP3. Other formats may also be possible.

The rumored launch is summer 2007 at a price of around 350 Euro and US$350 in Europe and the US, respectively.

We'll try everything to squeeze out some more information from Bookeen for you.

Edit: Some additional info found via this French blog:
  • Weight: 183g
  • Dimension: 118 x 188 x 8,5 mm
  • Screen: (90mm by 120mm) 6-inch SVGA 800x600 4 grey scales, 166.7 ppi
  • Battery: 8.000 page turns

Related: Picture of New Bookeen Cybook
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I expect it will support Mobi -- that's the format they sell in their store, so it would make sense....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I expect it will support Mobi -- that's the format they sell in their store, so it would make sense....
I didn't think about this. Thanks for the hint, Nat!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
And Mobipocket is also a french company ;-)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
And Mobipocket is also a french company ;-)
Well, yeah, until they got bought by Amazon, which makes them legally a US company
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #6
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
The rumored launch is summer 2007 at a price of around 350 Euro and US$350 in Europe and the US, respectively.
I hope this price is just that: a rumor. 350 dolars are 263 euros

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroide View Post
I hope this price is just that: a rumor. 350 dolars are 263 euros

L.
Taxes are quite different in the US and the EU. I've never seen a single device priced the same than in the US.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:46 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't think about this. Thanks for the hint, Nat!
Just putting 2 and 2 together, is all -- even I can manage that level of arithmatic (anything more complicated I need a calculator ... or possibly an Excel spreadsheet ....).
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Just putting 2 and 2 together, is all -- even I can manage that level of arithmatic (anything more complicated I need a calculator ... or possibly an Excel spreadsheet ....).

Btw, I added some additional specs information the first post.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds very good. I had (and still have) one of the original Bookeen Cybook machines. Their approach was to give you lots of different eBook readers on the machine, and let you choose which one you wished to use. The original Cybook came with "BooReader" (no, I'd never heard of it either!), MobiPocket, uBook (my all-time favourite bookreader), and an excellent PDF viewer, all on a machine running Windows CE. The only real down-side was poor battery life - if you turned the screen brightness down to the bare minimum and read books from internal memory, rather than the CF card, you could scrape about 4h reading time out of the machine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:28 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
[*]Screen: (90mm by 120mm) 6-inch SVGA 800x600 4 grey scales, 166.7 ppi
Sounds as if they're using exactly the same screen as the Sony Reader!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds as if they're using exactly the same screen as the Sony Reader!
They almost certainly are -- PVI and iRex are still the only ones licensed to make the stuff (as far as I know), so they'd have to get them from one of those sources, and iRex doesn't seem to be sharing theirs.

There is the new stuff that e-Ink (the company) announced recently, but I wouldn't expect that to be set up for volume production for some months yet.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
They almost certainly are -- PVI and iRex are still the only ones licensed to make the stuff (as far as I know), so they'd have to get them from one of those sources, and iRex doesn't seem to be sharing theirs.

There is the new stuff that e-Ink (the company) announced recently, but I wouldn't expect that to be set up for volume production for some months yet.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10780

The pres release for Vizplex said that the first units would be ready this summer.

Quote:
According to the press release, PrimeView International will manufacture the TFT modules based on Vizplex with the first displays to come out this summer. Diagonal sizes will include 1.9", 5", 6", 8" and 9.7"
Old 06-14-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Yeah, Hadrien, I just saw that on the thread about the NUUT reader too. (I'm afraid I didn't put much store in the original release, seeing as how these things always seem to be delayed so)

So, I'm just sitting down now to eat my words with a nice side of crow, and a bit of Humble Pie for desert.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #15
cervezas
palm & java hacker
cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Visor, T3, i500, iQue ...
digital ink on eInk?

A question for the MobileRead eInk experts: In your opinion are any of the current crop of eReaders able to capture digital ink from a stylus sufficiently well that they are useful for taking hand-written notes? Last I heard, slow screen refresh rates created enough delay that the handwriting/drawing experience wasn't great.
cervezas is offline   Reply With Quote