Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
^ oh boy. I somehow though rooting this puppy would be just running the right software through it, not using command line tools. If BN update the firmware, I assume it would break the root, then, which is why the above was created?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #17
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Manufacturer firmware updates typically undo a key essential aspect of the rooting process (namely the superuser permission). BN's firmware automatic update process does not provide the tablet owner the opportunity to decline or defer the update -- but luckily we have a way (albeit a bit tedious) to disable the automatic update process itself.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll have to see if I can take on this challenge then, since firmware updates was not something I even considered
Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 PM   #19
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I should have said "software update" (rather than "firmware update") as that's how it's generally thought of and referred to in the Tablet world.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
randomevents
randomevents began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Can't load apps on NST 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc254 View Post
I've updated my NST to 1.2 and then rooted it using tinynoot. OK, it's rooted now, but I get an error when trying to install apps. "Out of space, please clear some and try again." But there's nothing to "clear" as all my BN purchased books are sideloaded onto the sd card. There's NOTHING on the built-in storage space, yet it thinks there is. Arrrrrrrrrrgh!
I'm having same problem. Have NST updated to 1.2. Couldn't root with Touchnooter, Salsichanooter or Glownooter, but Tinynoot did the trick. Went to Nook Color Tools and toggled the "Allow Non-Market Apps", then downloaded Opera Mobile Browser from Amazon to SD card, but got message "Out of space. Opera Mobile could not be installed. Free up some space and try again." Have read about this error showing up on other Android devices and each devices has a different fix. As above, I have very little loaded in memory. The problem is something other than actual memory used.
randomevents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ASUS eee Note / Nook Touch
There is a new method of rooting for FW 1.2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040351
osowiecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
xendula
eBookworm

^ have you tried it?
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #23
osowiecki
Connoisseur
osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.osowiecki could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Yes it works fine.
Wait for 'jeff_kz' to reupload 'NookManager v4.0.img'
or
send me an email to bubson.bubson@gmail.com and I'll give you my copy of
'NookManager v3.0.img'.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #24
xendula
eBookworm

^ thank you very much for the offer! I am away from my Nook for the next 3 weeks, but will be sure I'll email you when back if v 4 is not up by then!
Old 12-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #25
xendula
eBookworm

For anyone interested, I found this article. That explaines how to root a Nook in a very idiotproof way. Not sure which firmware it is for, but it's a good additional resource.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #26
livramax
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
For anyone interested, I found this article. That explaines how to root a Nook in a very idiotproof way. Not sure which firmware it is for, but it's a good additional resource.
TouchNooter is for NST v1.1. I had problem using it to root my NST 1.1.2.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
osowiecki
Connoisseur

On FW 1.2 you use "Nook Touch Mod Manager"

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1991048
Old 12-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
TouchNooter is for NST v1.1. I had problem using it to root my NST 1.1.2.
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #29
xendula
eBookworm

Osowiecki, you linked to two different methods for FW 1.2 in this thread. Is the last one the better one of the two?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #30
osowiecki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Osowiecki, you linked to two different methods for FW 1.2 in this thread. Is the last one the better one of the two?
I have made a mistake and posted the wrong link.

For rooting use "[Root] NookManager - graphical rooter for 1.2.0 and beyond".
It already contains Nook Touch Mod Manager.

The "Nook Touch Mod Manager" is an apk that enables you to change the key configuration on FW 1.2.
sorry

NookManager v4 is uploaded and working fine.
Don't forget to thank 'jeff_kz' for his awesome work.