Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
paolo antesitum
paolo antesitum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Question Sony prs 600 not working after calibre

I have received yesterday a new prs 600 and, having realized the poornes of sony software I decided to look for something else and I've found calibre.
I installed it on ubuntu 10.4

I attached the device that was correctly recognized and feed some news from the local newspaper.
After snding the news to the device (no progressbar or any other messages in calibre to indicate the end of the process), I disconnected the device, and since then I was no more able the use the PRS 600.

The screen is blocked showing this message on the bottom:

1fskin:/l/string...

Nothing seems to work to unblock the device. Even the reset button does not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Paolo
paolo antesitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
paolo antesitum

Red face Details

Device is completely blocked and is not recognized neither from sony software in windows nor from calibre on ubuntu.

Switch off doesn't work, reset doesnt't work.

Any ideas?
Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 AM   #3
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You might try restoring the device to factory default settings or do a hard reset. You would loose all contents though.
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
paolo antesitum

Unhappy Hard reset does not work

The reset button is not working. I tried switching it also for more than a minute but nothing happens.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Sounds as if the PRS-600 itself might be faulty?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It seems pretty common that the PRS-600 does not respond to the first attempt of resetting it. Try pressing the reset button several times. I've even had it happen that that didn't work and a little while after putting the reader aside it reboots on its own.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
With the PRS-505 nothing happened immediately after pressing the rest button - one had to go through the power off/on action. Do not know if the same applies to the PRS-600?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
paolo antesitum

Wink Solved

Yes, you are right.

Response times for this device are not immediate.
I connected to the ubuntu laptop and after some time I got an error from calibre: error communicating with the device.

After that I tried switching the reset button for around 30 secs and after some time I connected it to windows pc where the really poor sony software is installed.

After some time the device restarted. I got an error from the device concerning the internal memory format process (failed), but after that it rebooted and now it seems to work.

No books are no more inside but I'll try putting books again from calibre library.

Thank you for your help. I'll let you know what happens.

Paolo
Old 09-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo antesitum View Post
After some time the device restarted. I got an error from the device concerning the internal memory format process (failed), but after that it rebooted and now it seems to work.
You might want to go to the advanced settings and format internal memory. Also many problems early on are from not charging the reader fully before use.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I too had to push reset multiple times
And holding the power off button, pluuging it into usb port etc.
Eventually it was ok.
Now I send all books to memory card so I can at least pull that out.
My problem occurred independent of calibre AFAIK
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bugs, calibre, sony reader