Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 AM   #31
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
I have a three year membership. In august, there was a special with all books at 100% rebate for 2 weeks. I still have 165 $ in my micropay account

The club membership has some nice little things from time to time. Check the mail they send you
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:50 AM   #32
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
By the way, you can renew for 1 year more than once *cough*
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
By the way, you can renew for 1 year more than once *cough*
Aha, so you can, well done and thanks
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've just joined for a year and I did get the micropay rebate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doesn't matter. Buying an extra year just extends your membership by a year. It's better to renew early, in fact - it's $5 cheaper that way.
I'm already a member, having joined about 4 months ago. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that if I join, I'll be a member for about 22 more months?

I just added the membership to my cart and apparently the offer is still good. (I have yet to actually commit.)

I wonder what strategy this tells us about Fictionwise? Are they in need of an influx of capital, or is this just part of the different strategy (in a good way ) to get us hooked on buying from them?

I know that as a member for the past 4 months, I've bought just a little over 100 titles from them, as opposed to about 12 from Sony. The comparison may not be a good one, however, due to the higher prices at Sony -- ; although, come to think of it, Sony has released a number of free books lately, whereas Fictionwise typically makes available for free the yearly Nebula Award nominees in the shorter fiction categories only - and only available at a certain point in time.

Interesting....has anyone noticed a newer - heightened - level of freebies from legitimate publishers and authors? My thinking is that even the authors (as witness this site), are becoming more aggressive in the ebook marketing of their writings.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As I see it, if you are a member of the club, once your micropay rebate is gone, you'll still be purchasing eBooks from them as a member.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #37
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As I see it, if you are a member of the club, once your micropay rebate is gone, you'll still be purchasing eBooks from them as a member.
That's absolutely true. The mircopay rebate is YOUR money that is available to you to buy ebooks, but it's committed to them.

It's just a holding area.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #38
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, buy the mobi format and deDrm it. Are you going to deDrm the lit version anyway?

BOb
Do you know if that works on Amazon's files for the Kindle?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #39
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
I am not a member but I did receive the "specially selected" email. When I put the 1 year sub in my cart it does show the rebate. Not sure if I'll go for it as a Kindle owner I think I get just as good if not better prices at Amazon. But, heck I have 4 whole days to decide.

BOb
Except you can strip the DRM off lit files and get a nice HTML file from it. I don't know if you can take off Amazon's DRM yet.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #40
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
So, buy the mobi format and deDrm it. Are you going to deDrm the lit version anyway?

BOb
yes of course i was ; i have an eb1150 ; i can't read ANYTHING without converting it first. but converting lit to imp (the eb1150 format) is really easy, a matter of literally 2 clicks and about 15 seconds (thank you, nick). i have less experience with converting drmed mobi, how easy is it ? (i honestly cannot at this moment remember whether i've already done it or not, and if yes how well it worked). also i prefer lit format to mobi overall because it has a better constructed / richer core code structure, and therefore allows for better / cleaner conversions. mobi uses all sorts of odd proprietary code which i dislike on principle and which annoys me in practice because if you convert it it requires more cleaning up.

but yes, i suppose in this particular case if i don't want to wait i could just get the mobi version.

the annoying thing is, this book is *already* available in LIT format at Books on Board.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #41
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Except you can strip the DRM off lit files and get a nice HTML file from it. I don't know if you can take off Amazon's DRM yet.
Mobidedrm works on Amazon's azw files as they're just Mobi in disguise. Topaz (tpz/azw1) books use a different DRM which is not broken yet.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:56 AM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Do you know if that works on Amazon's files for the Kindle?
Yes, mobidedrm works on Kindle eBooks. At least the ones I have used it on.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM   #43
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
but converting lit to imp (the eb1150 format) is really easy, a matter of literally 2 clicks and about 15 seconds (thank you, nick). i have less experience with converting drmed mobi, how easy is it ?
You can use mobi2lit from mobiperl then go use your lit2imp.

mobeDeDrm is basically the same as convertlit. The main difference is that you provide the PID on the command line vs convertlit having the keys.txt file it looks at.

BOb
Old 09-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #44
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
You can use mobi2lit from mobiperl then go use your lit2imp.

mobeDeDrm is basically the same as convertlit. The main difference is that you provide the PID on the command line vs convertlit having the keys.txt file it looks at.

BOb
oh yay. perl scripts and command lines.

i *can* do that ; but i need help with it, and it's not nearly as easy as converting a lit book directly.

this is why i prefer to buy lit books. (well, that and the format is better.)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh yay. perl scripts and command lines.

i *can* do that ; but i need help with it, and it's not nearly as easy as converting a lit book directly.

this is why i prefer to buy lit books. (well, that and the format is better.)
I'd be happy to help. PM me if you want. You are running windows, yes?

BOb