Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Shopping at Sony ebook store for kobo

I have noticed Sony had some ebooks not available at the Kobo store but when I click to buy at the Sonybook store it asks me to download their software.

Does someone know (not tech savvy here) if I loaded a book to Sony software I could transfer it to Calibre and then Kobo reader? TIA
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Stinger
Asha'man
Stinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-booksStinger has learned how to read e-books

I'm pretty sure you can. I think the Sony software just uses regular ADE epubs (which is why I've heard people complain about having to install the Sony software even if they already have ADE).

Calibre should be able to manage these epubs, but obviously can't do any conversion due to the ADEPT DRM.
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Ok, thanks. I think I will wait a bit to see if Kobo will get what I am looking for. I don't trust myself to fix it.

For a couple of books I requested from Kobo they said the publishers in Canada had not approved but I am assuming that if Sony gets approval then Kobo will as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn1 View Post
For a couple of books I requested from Kobo they said the publishers in Canada had not approved but I am assuming that if Sony gets approval then Kobo will as well.
I wouldn't trust the Sony website on what's available to Canadians. I was looking for a book on Kobo and it wasn't available. Then I checked out Sony (Canadian version) and it had it. So I downloaded the software, which looks a lot like their website. But when I searched for the book I wanted, it now said US only. Waste of time and I had a hell of a time uninstalling the Sony software.
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
wrenn1
Addict

Oh, good to know. Thanks. That makes sense since I have ordered books from Kobo (clicked "buy" and acknowledged that my credit card info was right etc. and pulled out the USB cord to load it and a message came up that the book wasn't available in Canada.

I think Kobo should only list books available here.

I am sooo glad I didn't install the Sony app. Thanks again.
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
You're welcome. I wish Sony would sell ebooks directly from their website (like Kobo). I don't plan on buying from them because of their awful software...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***I wish Sony would sell ebooks directly from their website***

They do, Leigh ... but only to the Chosen Few -- those who happen to live in the USA. As at many of the big online stores, the rest of the world is left out in the cold. Sony will direct you elsewhere (Barnes & Noble, for instance) where you are likely to find that there's a US-only download restriction on the ebook you want. This is a scandal, because this serious restriction is dishonestly withheld from innocent device buyers outside the US.

Good to have your new company, Wren. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, they don't sell directly from their website. You have to install its software to purchase books.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I wanted a certain book by a Canadian author and Kobo/Sony would not sell it to me. Oddly enough, Waterstones UK would, so I bought it there. It was a standard-issue epub and I had no problems working with it. It was just ironic because it was a Canadian author and I had to use a UK store to buy it...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
Why is it that a book is not available universally? I would think the publisher would want to sell as many books as possible.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Because the publisher that, perhaps, can sell it at other country wants its profits too.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetotree View Post
Why is it that a book is not available universally? I would think the publisher would want to sell as many books as possible.
I'm sure the publisher would love to sell as many as possible, but the way authors/agents sell books is by contracting rights for a specific region and from what I've read very few have been willing to sell the ebook rights as global since most publishers expect ebook rights as part of a pbook rights contract. Hopefully that will change as ebooks become more and more prevalent. Ironically there wasn't much of a problem until ebooks started gaining popularity and non-US publishers started exercising their rights and putting out their own ebook editions, before that the restrictions were seldom enforced. IMO geo restrictions are a big contributing factor to 'piracy'.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #13
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Fortunately, this is not something we'll have to put up for too much longer as book publishers are on the fast track to becoming as irrelevant as record companies.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
RedRoverJ
Zealot
RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RedRoverJ has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Fortunately, this is not something we'll have to put up for too much longer as book publishers are on the fast track to becoming as irrelevant as record companies.
I wouldn't say that. I read somewhere that eBook sales only make up around 1% of all book sales, which isn't exactly poised to take over anything.

In fact, the publishers are still mainly relying on traditional models and contracts and including eBook sales. This likely won't change until the market for eBook improves significantly.
RedRoverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
wrenn1
Addict

Don't authors have separate publishers for each country?