Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Packt Pub does it right: kills DRM restrictions

I just received this welcoming e-mail from the guys from Packt Publishing:

Quote:
Dear Alexander Turcic

I hope you don't mind this unscheduled e-mail; however the following news concerns all PacktPub.com account holders.

In December, we decided to enable the copy and paste feature on our eBooks. Following this announcement, we received a number of suggestions from customers who would like to see the password protection removed from our eBooks as well. With the increasing popularity of reading eBooks on portable devices, the password protection was proving to be an obstacle that prevented users from doing so.

Therefore, we have taken this feedback on board and decided to remove all password protection from our eBooks with immediate effect. If you own a Packt eBook, you can download it again from your account at www.PacktPub.com; this new copy will have no password protection. We would like to thank all customers who took the time to provide us with this feedback and we hope you are pleased with this outcome.

You're probably already aware of the fact that our eBooks are available as immediate downloads and are now more portable than ever. You may have our VirtualDub eBook, which we released as a free download last year. If you haven't yet experienced a Packt eBook then you'll be pleased to hear that you have another opportunity as we can exclusively reveal a second free eBook is being released today. Cameron Cooper's Building Websites with Plone was initially published in 2004 and was regarded as the definitive book on the Zope based Content Management System.

To download your free eBook, visit the book's page at www.PacktPub.com/plone/book and click on the 'Download eBook' button. You will then need to login to your account, where the Building Websites with Plone eBook will be available to download in the 'Free eBook' section. This eBook is available to anyone with a PacktPub.com account, so you're welcome to pass on the news to friends or colleagues.

If the Plone or VirtualDub eBooks aren't to your liking, then you might want to try another one of our eBooks. For the duration of March, we are offering a 30% discount off all eBooks or if you purchase two at the same time, you'll get 40% off both. Just visit www.PacktPub.com for more details.

With best wishes
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
excellent news ! it's great to see more and more publishers listening to their readers, and getting it right. i just hope the more generalist publishers will also follow this road soon. congratulations to Packt for being so forward-thinking.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
hopefully the dominoes will now start to fall ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Packt has some cool IT books. Alex, what book(s) did you buy there?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Packt has some cool IT books. Alex, what book(s) did you buy there?
That would be Lighttpd (978-1-847192-10-3) and OpenVPN (978-1-904811-85-5). Both excellent books!
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I wasn't even aware of this publisher, and I'm seeing some books that are very attractive (and pertinent to my current projects at work). Now that they've been convinced to take off the DRM, wonder if they can be convinced to release the books in any format other than PDF. Of course, I probably should buy a book and see how successful I might be in shifting the format from PDF to MobiPocket or ePub.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Elsi, there appears to be no DRM; however, the PDF content is branded to your name (on every page, see attachment). Not that it would personally bother me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	packt.png
Views:	649
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	25095  
Old 03-06-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
No DRM!

PDF

BOb

(Yes a smiley is worth a thousand words)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
BTW: Manning and Pragmatic ebooks are DRM free PDF also. They too have the "Owner Branding" in them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #10
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Well, that's good news!

I just acquired my first digital reader, a Sony PRS-700 which I don't have in had yet as it's being shipped to me. However, I do have an iPod touch and with the recent Kindle for iPod, I bought a book from Amazon Kindle Store and now want to find a way to strip the dang file of the DRM. I want to transport the file to my PRS-700 to read it when it comes.

DRM makes transferring files between one's own devices rather cumbersome. I own two laptops, an iPod touch, and soon a PRS-700. DRM is creating some havoc in allowing me to read the protected documents across these four devices. What a pain!
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote