Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #391
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Hi Juli,
Thank you so much for doing this!

I'd like to add:
  • Get rid of the bent, top righ-hand corners of the book images - they make it impossile to read the book covers. What's the point of them?
  • If they are going to default to the unchecked box for "remember me", could they at least leave it checked for the mobile view please?
  • Add a "Classic View" button, so users can continue to see the better view
  • From the browse view, show me:
    1. the entire title of the book
    2. the entire name of the author
    3. when it was released
    4. how many copies the library owns
    5. how many of those are available
    6. how many people are on the waiting list
    7. which formats are available
    8. (All of this is what was formerly available. Now, all we see for each book is half a book cover, half a book title, and half an author's name!!)
  • Also from the browse view, let me check out the book, place it on hold, or add it to my wishlist.

Example: When browsing for SciFi/Fantasy on the Brooklyn site, ordered by "added to site", the old view shows me, for the first book, these options and info:

When browsing for SciFi/Fantasy on the Brooklyn site, the new view shows me, for the first book, NO options and this info:

Are they serious?!

[edited to add: view is on iPad3 Safari browser]
I have a few additions, so figured it easier for Julie if I quote the entire post and then add more.

Requests:
  • Add all Fiction categories to the drop-down menu at the top - there is enough space!! Use indents to the right in the top nav menu if it would otherwise be deemed too long.
    • To browse for SciFi titles, in the old view, it took me two clicks from any page: Browse -> SciFi
    • In the new view, it takes me 2 clicks from the home page but 3 clicks from any other page with an unacceptable amount of scrolling: menu -> fiction- View more... -> scroll, scroll, scroll through book covers of various categories, find my category -> View more...
  • Improve performance: the new site is much, much slower to load pages than the old site.

Another, better example of old vs new view, because it addresses series:

Browsing SciFi&Fantasy titles ordered by added to site, the 4th title on the Brooklyn site shows the following info:

Old view
Quote:
Book cover thumbnail
Lara
by*Bertrice Small
Sample
Series: The World of Hetar
Release date: May 01, 2006
Available copies:**0*(1 patron(s) on waiting list)
Library copies:**1
Kindle Book - Place a Hold - Add to Wish List
Adobe EPUB eBook - Place a Hold - Add to Wish List
New view
Quote:
Two thirds of the book cover graphic
Lara
by*Bertrice S...
A bookmark graphic
(I know now that that clicking it adds it to my wishlist. Not intuitive at all.
*underlined= clickable

Last edited by xendula; 01-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #392
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
You could also click on the series name, and that would list all books in the series that the library owns, which was very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
The old browsing view also stated if the book was part of a series (it said something like "John Doe series, book 2" - I found that very helpful. Sometimes I've already finished a series, or decided I'm not interested in a series, and I could easily just keep scrolling past those.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #393
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
Thanks for the additions. Email goes out tomorrow. I hope they'll answer, but either way, I've got the basis for a good article, or maybe two.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #394
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
You've got my biggest complaints in your list.
The only other thing I can think of is to have the "remember me on this device" box default to unchecked. If somebody wants to be remembered, all they have to do is check it once and they're done. As it is, if I don't want to be remembered, I have to uncheck it every single time.
YES!!! I hate this feature! If I want it to remember me I'll tell it to, I don't want to have to remember every single time !!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #395
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
YES!!! I hate this feature! If I want it to remember me I'll tell it to, I don't want to have to remember every single time !!!
S
I've run into other web sites that do this - not just Overdrive. Always wondered why they do that.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #396
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terendel View Post
Thanks for the additions. Email goes out tomorrow. I hope they'll answer, but either way, I've got the basis for a good article, or maybe two.
Thank you, Julie!!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #397
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did find yet another bug in the new Overdrive.

When an eBook expires while you are logged in, you don't see that it has expired and freed up a slot to be able to download another eBook until after you log out and log back in.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #398
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did find yet another bug in the new Overdrive.

When an eBook expires while you are logged in, you don't see that it has expired and freed up a slot to be able to download another eBook until after you log out and log back in.
Just refresh the account page and it will update. No need to login and out.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #399
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Just refresh the account page and it will update. No need to login and out.
Did that by going to and from holds. Didn't work.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #400
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did that by going to and from holds. Didn't work.
No hit the refresh button on your browser to get the page to update.

Changing from one account menu to another isn't refreshing anything because it all loads together.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #401
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No hit the refresh button on your browser to get the page to update.

Changing from one account menu to another isn't refreshing anything because it all loads together.
This is yet another bug in the new Overdrive. It should work.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #402
terendel
Enthusiast
terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terendel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Oasis 2
Response from Overdrive

Well, it might not be everything you were hoping for, but it sounds like they are going to respond. And you haven't been forgotten.

"Hi Juli-

Thanks for getting in touch. We haven’t forgotten about Mobile Read, but we haven’t had time to circle back of late.

Sometime in the next few days, I’ll be compiling a list of questions/suggestions from Mobile Read users and posting a status update regarding some of the tweaks in the works for our Next Gen sites. Thanks for sending me your list—as you’ve seen, there’s a lot to sift through!

Best,

Mike"

I'm working on the article now, which will feature your list prominently. Should be published in a couple of days.

Last edited by terendel; 01-29-2013 at 04:27 PM.
terendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #403
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I really wish they stop breaking things. Now when you click on New ebooks links it now sorts by Relevancy instead of added to site. Which is really sorting by popular.

This is getting ridiculous...

So now not only do you get sent to Available now instead of Library collection but it sorts wrong!
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #404
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
This is happening to me too. Very annoying ...

Quote:
I really wish they stop breaking things. Now when you click on New ebooks links it now sorts by Relevancy instead of added to site. Which is really sorting by popular.

This is getting ridiculous...

So now not only do you get sent to Available now instead of Library collection but it sorts wrong!
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #405
xendula
eBookworm

^ I noticed that as well, and the Fairfax one won't sort by added to site at all any more, even when you try to select it.